U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 32,574 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I are thinking of relocating and trying to get a feel for some of the suburbs of Tampa. We have already seen several posts on New Tampa/Wesley Chapel/Lol/Brandon area which is an area we definately want to check out when we visit in October.

Please explain about some of these other suburbs listed below in terms of housing (Is there new housing or an older established area), property taxes, schools, crime, traffic, things to do, etc.

Some of my original thoughts on these areas are as follows:
Plesse let me know if they are right or not

Carrollwood-I heard that this is a more established area. Since this area is closer to Tampa, does it have a more city like feel to it than say the Wesley Chapel or Land O Lakes area which is more suburbia with new housing?

Citrus Park-All I know about this area is that they have a mall and it is slightly pricy

Westchase-Heard there is a nice matser communtity here and it is a pricy area.

Town N Country-Has good and bad areas and is close to downtown.

Tampa Palms-Newer area similiar to New Tampa

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Does anybody live in these suburbs that can help out with info?
Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
Citrus Park, Westchase and TnC aren't that far apart. TnC has been around since the 60s. There are newer subdivisions that started to build in the 90s and continue thru today. Much of this area is in an evacuation zone for hurricanes. Citrus Park has the mall. To be honest I think you would be hard pressed to tell where some of these areas begin or end.
Carrollwood has a lot of nice strip malls and tons of places to eat. It was probably the first area outside of Tampa with more expensive homes. I am not sure I would say it had a city feel but I guess it is all in what you consider city. It is a really nice area and closer to downtown than New Tampa/Wesley Chapel. A lot of the homes were built in the 80/90s. Traffic is heavy on Dale Mabry pretty much all the time but you have several different ways to get to downtown.
Land O Lakes was once just a wide spot in the road with a great bar-b-que restaurant.

What are you looking for in a house? Everyone has their preference, some want new others more established nabes. Travel time, big/small yards, country/city, price, schools, what are you looking for?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the Keeper.

Ideally, we are looking for new housing with some land in a suburbia setting with good schools. I currently live in Philadelphia suburbs about a 30 mintute drive to downtown and am looking for something similiar. We are looking for a house between $275,00 and $350,00 for a 4 bedroom.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM

The 30 minute drive to downtown might be hard to find. I worked 9 miles from home and during rush hour it was at good 30-45 min drive. Most newer subs don't have big yards or at least what I would consider a big yard unless you get a place with a preserve area behind it. You might want to look out around Citrus Park, Lutz/Oldsmar area near the expressway. I am sure others here can tell you about subdivisions that meet your critera. You can get a very nice house for your price range.
Schools are going to be the biggest issue IMHO, but FL schools in general do nothing more than teach the FCAT so the school can get money if they make a good grade.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM

4,012 posts, read 8,638,059 times
As I understand it, Carrollwood is one of Tampa's original masterplanned communities. Yes, it's older, but even before the real estate bubble, homes in Carrollwood appreciated nicely. It's a fairly central location, with easy access to Dale Mabry, the Suncoast/Veterans (tollroad) and even over to Pinellas County (via some back roads that not everyone uses ). Here's the link to Carrollwood Villages, the "main" part of Carrollwood.

Welcome to Carrollwood Village

You might want to consider renting for a bit - I don't think housing prices have stopped dropping yet. Also, the areas you're asking about all have very different personalities.

BTW, Carrollwood is one of the few areas in Tampa that I CONSITENTLY see people out walking, jogging, walking the dog, and even single women walking after dark. You don't see that in too many areas in Tampa, unfortunately. Of course, it could also be because Carrollwood actually has sidewalks

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 AM

15,194 posts, read 31,137,880 times
I actually like Carrollwood a lot, one of the nicest areas closer in to Tampa. I personally do not like the bland, chain-store atmosphere of other suburbs like Wesley Chapel or Brandon. Carrollwood, while it has it's chains, etc., has some character with a lot of mature trees, a very nice vibe. Dale Mabry isn't too bad up at that end, either.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 AM

I agree with you both.. the newer areas are tree less for the most part. It has the feel of a real neighborhood. I worked and lived in that area at one time and the people were all friendly.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 104,331 times
Carrollwood: is a very nice established area. It doesn’t have that (cookie cutter) look. My personal favorite area is what us natives call Old Carrollwood. It is packed with the mid-century homes that in my opinion have much more character than anything built past the 80s. It’s still very safe with many good restaurants and culture around.

Citrus Park: was nice when it had homes on acreage. Now its rather BLAH and I have heard of some crime around.

Westchase: BLAH

Town & Country: I just don’t feel safe when I am in town and country.

Tampa Palms: BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The triple BLAH is my highest rating given to an area with more chain restaurants than character.

If your going into the idea of Suburbs as no crime, better schools and so on, then don’t be afraid to look in South Tampa near downtown. They have great schools and many things to do with very little crime.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 PM

4,012 posts, read 8,638,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrydeanjellybean View Post
Carrollwood: is a very nice established area. It doesnít have that (cookie cutter) look. My personal favorite area is what us natives call Old Carrollwood. It is packed with the mid-century homes that in my opinion have much more character than anything built past the 80s. Itís still very safe with many good restaurants and culture around.

Citrus Park: was nice when it had homes on acreage. Now its rather BLAH and I have heard of some crime around.

Westchase: BLAH

Town & Country: I just donít feel safe when I am in town and country.

Tampa Palms: BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The triple BLAH is my highest rating given to an area with more chain restaurants than character.

If your going into the idea of Suburbs as no crime, better schools and so on, then donít be afraid to look in South Tampa near downtown. They have great schools and many things to do with very little crime.

WELL SAID!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or