U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM

143 posts, read 208,224 times

Advertisements

Just got to Tampa today to check it out - staying at a place just west of the airport right on the water off of 60. It's been a not so good day, just had a bad travel day. The first hotel was crap so had to find another in short order. Part of the big issues has been navigating so if you happened to be the pissed of guy behind a slow moving SUV rental that didn't seem to know what lane he needed to be in - that was me - my bad - sorry. Our tom-tom is useless so I'm going to p/u a garmin tomorrow and enjoy your U.S. pricing and taxes vs. what I'm used to in Canada.

Anyway, to the point. I got a bit of my bearings and had to run out to the super market. I probably went to one farther away then I had to but at least I knew where it was. I noticed while I was out (and I could drive normal and not have to rely on a gps) that people were driving really slow. Speed limit was 50 and every body was going 35. It was raining a bit but the roads weren't busy by any means. Even a police cruiser I came up on was doing a little under 45 in the 50 seemingly for no reason. I was doing maybe 53 and I felt like a teenager that stole his parents car!

So are the speed limits very strictly adhered to here? In Canada we have a little fudge factor usually. Here nobody seems to be willing to get within 10mph of it. Maybe I'm missing something about your traffic laws here, I dunno. Just hoping someone can educate me in before I get pulled over!

Thanks!
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM

173 posts, read 376,817 times
Safe is 5 over in the city, 10 over on the Interstate.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,261,280 times
Yesterday's rain may have slowed people down (hopefully). Also, seems we have school zones everywhere - so you better slow down for those.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,758,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
Just got to Tampa today to check it out - staying at a place just west of the airport right on the water off of 60. It's been a not so good day, just had a bad travel day. The first hotel was crap so had to find another in short order. Part of the big issues has been navigating so if you happened to be the pissed of guy behind a slow moving SUV rental that didn't seem to know what lane he needed to be in - that was me - my bad - sorry. Our tom-tom is useless so I'm going to p/u a garmin tomorrow and enjoy your U.S. pricing and taxes vs. what I'm used to in Canada.
Anyway, to the point. I got a bit of my bearings and had to run out to the super market. I probably went to one farther away then I had to but at least I knew where it was. I noticed while I was out (and I could drive normal and not have to rely on a gps) that people were driving really slow. Speed limit was 50 and every body was going 35. It was raining a bit but the roads weren't busy by any means. Even a police cruiser I came up on was doing a little under 45 in the 50 seemingly for no reason. I was doing maybe 53 and I felt like a teenager that stole his parents car!
So are the speed limits very strictly adhered to here? In Canada we have a little fudge factor usually. Here nobody seems to be willing to get within 10mph of it. Maybe I'm missing something about your traffic laws here, I dunno. Just hoping someone can educate me in before I get pulled over!

Thanks!
Ryan
Hey Ryan....Lots of folks will drive super slow when it is raining because the roads DO get slick regardless of the fact that you are in a warmer climate and it wasn't snowing...oil gets on the roads and when the rain hits the roads you get bad conditions. Other than the slick roads, there ARE a lot of retired folks in Florida and older folks (like me) tend to drive slow. Whats your hurry?? Unless you had to go to the bathroom, were late for work or late for a dinner date why the rush? Relax, whatever or wherever you were going would have been there when you got there with no guarantees that you would have been had you been driving any faster..CIAO

Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 AM

64 posts, read 94,108 times
When I moved here from an extremely rainy and hilly area "up north" I couldn't figure out why people here went slower in the rain. Then I got it. Some of the roads here are a lot worse in the rain.

Last edited by anya3; 05-17-2012 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,639,386 times
If there was a cop on the road going 45, then that is probably why everyone else was going slow. Most people don't like to pass cops for some reason.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM

64 posts, read 94,108 times
Good point, Eresh. You are absolutely right.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,261,280 times
I used to plow through rain puddles all the time until last year while driving on a highway at about 50-60 mph, hit a large area of water and hydroplaned for some distance and lost total control of the car. Luckily, didn't leave the roadway or turn sideways - but it was a hair-raising experience.

Yesterday was caught in the downpour/very low visibility on the interstate and definitely found the right lane, slowed down to about 40 mph and respected the road conditions.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,587,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Hey Ryan....Lots of folks will drive super slow when it is raining because the roads DO get slick regardless of the fact that you are in a warmer climate and it wasn't snowing...oil gets on the roads and when the rain hits the roads you get bad conditions. Other than the slick roads, there ARE a lot of retired folks in Florida and older folks (like me) tend to drive slow. Whats your hurry?? Unless you had to go to the bathroom, were late for work or late for a dinner date why the rush? Relax, whatever or wherever you were going would have been there when you got there with no guarantees that you would have been had you been driving any faster..CIAO
Why hurry when it's raining? If you do, then you don't understand why the ppl who live here are going slower.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM

173 posts, read 376,817 times
People drive on "may pops" around here. At any time, their tires may pop. Tread depth is the key to driving in the rain. I have seen tires on cars that are driven at most 100 miles per month. There are a lot of retires that don't drive much. The tires are dry rotted and can't make a good contact patch with the road due to inelasticity. Another contributing factor is the quantity of rain that accumulates on the roadway. Also during the first 15 minutes of rain, all of the oils from the asphalt create a slick surface on the roadway cause loss of traction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay