Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 10,699 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are looking to relocate to Spring Hill FL. Can anyone help with some questions? What industries are in or within 50 miles of SH? I am currently unemployed and I am looking for a "professional position", or at least something to support my two children (7 & 10) and wife. Are there any medium to large companies or industries in and around SH? Also, more importantly, are the schools good, OK, or lousy? Is it a good area to raise a family? We would be coming from Northern Illinois. I have heard there are alot of retirees. Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
50 miles would put you in Tampa if you were going South with a whole lot of potential employers on the way starting at Port Richey. There is not too much to the North, its farming up that way. Not much East of here until Orlando which is about 80 miles and the West is the Gulf.

What profession do you want you professional position in? The primary industries here are agriculture and cement manufacturing.

Right now, Hernando County, where SH is located has an unemployment rate of a little over 11 percent in March 2012.

I can't comment on the schools, but you will probably get a mixed bag of responses here on that.

Yes, there are a lot of retirees here. Spring Hill was designed for retirees.
The demographics have changed greatly in the past 10 years with more younger families buying homes since the prices are at rock bottom right now with a large amount of inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjw View Post
My wife & I are looking to relocate to Spring Hill FL. Can anyone help with some questions? What industries are in or within 50 miles of SH? I am currently unemployed and I am looking for a "professional position", or at least something to support my two children (7 & 10) and wife. Are there any medium to large companies or industries in and around SH? Also, more importantly, are the schools good, OK, or lousy? Is it a good area to raise a family? We would be coming from Northern Illinois. I have heard there are alot of retirees. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Thank you, Spring Hillian. I have been in manufacturing for 20 years. I was a Business Unit Manager responsible for all P&L, parsonal, etc.. We are having some difficulties securing a rental house. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I was up by the Spring Hill/Hudson area yesterday. It is rural but very nice.

If I may ask rcjw, is there a specific reason for Spring Hill? I wouldn't think that driving from there to Tampa (which may be the full 50 miles - and NOT all Freeway where you can go 65-70) on a daily basis would eat up any home savings with gas costs. Zephyrhills is actually closer distance wise to Tampa and would be a better commute to Tampa. Even Dade City, Lakeland are areas that would seem to be better choices.

Would like to answer your questions. I have recommended indeed.com before. It provides a good snapshot of employment in the area. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Gulfer, we came accross SH and thought maybe it would work. The more we learn the more reservations we have. I agree with you on the commute-no thanks. We will probably start looking closer to Tampa or Orlando. Or, where ever the jobs are. I know it is a challenging time to get work! I will also check out Indeed.com. Thanks for the advice. Another big challenge is finding a rental. It seems these Property Management Company's want everything including your first born before they rent to you! LOL.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Well good luck and let us know if we can help. There are a lot of rentals available now, so that is good. This link may or may not work. But this is a shot of rentals available in and around Tampa from hotpads.com. A pretty good side. Also, Realtor.com has rentals.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

HotPads - Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Sale and for Rent, Rental Houses, Sublets, Roommates

Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
My wife & I are looking to relocate to Spring Hill FL. Can anyone help with some questions? What industries are in or within 50 miles of SH? I am currently unemployed and I am looking for a "professional position", or at least something to support my two children (7 & 10) and wife.
I'd say if you are looking for a job, go further south. Spring Hill is primarily a bedroom community. You could probably find a job in the healthcare field up here, but that's about it. Unless you are willing to wait tables or work retail, that is. Accuform is one of the few industries I know about, but they don't pay very much. Certainly not enough to support a family.

Quote:
Also, more importantly, are the schools good, OK, or lousy?
The schools are a reflection of the community. Because Spring Hill has become a lower socio-economic community with very few well-educated people, the schools have gotten worse. Most of the people I know who desire a quality education for their children send their children to private schools further south.

Quote:
Is it a good area to raise a family?
In my opinion, it is not. It is geared more for older, retired folks. I would only move here if I were retired and could afford a gated community. We are a younger family and are actually moving out of Spring Hill very soon. We've been here over 10 years. At first, we really liked the area. But it has been in a state of decline over the years. We had our first neighborhood drive by shooting not too long ago. We've witnessed drug deals and police officers chasing a couple of thieves right in our own backyard! I honestly would not recommend Spring Hill for younger families. You are better off going further south.

Quote:
We would be coming from Northern Illinois. I have heard there are alot of retirees. Any help would be much appreciated!
We lived in Indiana before moving here. Yes, there are a lot of retirees. Many are from New York. Being a southern gal at heart, I was pretty offended by the New Yorkers living here at first, but now I love them! They are great people. Once you get beyond the rough exterior, you won't find a more loyal bunch anywhere. Still, despite the wonderful New Yorkers living here, I wouldn't recommend living in Spring Hill. Look closer to Tampa or in northern Pinellas County.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,523 times
I retired here from New Jersey seven years ago and love it here. As Floridagirl said it is a very nice area and I've never had one moment of regret. I must agree with her that the New Yorkers can be nuts, coming from me who lived next door to them up north, but once you get to know them everything is OK. As far as work in concerned, having played enough golf and charity work for my Church, I was looking for something in the technical (Electronics) field, but the jobs are in Clearwater, St. Pete and Tampa. With the price of gas and commuting time, I said forget it. Keep checking and good luck to you.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I'd say if you are looking for a job, go further south. Spring Hill is primarily a bedroom community. You could probably find a job in the healthcare field up here, but that's about it. Unless you are willing to wait tables or work retail, that is. Accuform is one of the few industries I know about, but they don't pay very much. Certainly not enough to support a family.

The schools are a reflection of the community. Because Spring Hill has become a lower socio-economic community with very few well-educated people, the schools have gotten worse. Most of the people I know who desire a quality education for their children send their children to private schools further south.

In my opinion, it is not. It is geared more for older, retired folks. I would only move here if I were retired and could afford a gated community. We are a younger family and are actually moving out of Spring Hill very soon. We've been here over 10 years. At first, we really liked the area. But it has been in a state of decline over the years. We had our first neighborhood drive by shooting not too long ago. We've witnessed drug deals and police officers chasing a couple of thieves right in our own backyard! I honestly would not recommend Spring Hill for younger families. You are better off going further south.

We lived in Indiana before moving here. Yes, there are a lot of retirees. Many are from New York. Being a southern gal at heart, I was pretty offended by the New Yorkers living here at first, but now I love them! They are great people. Once you get beyond the rough exterior, you won't find a more loyal bunch anywhere. Still, despite the wonderful New Yorkers living here, I wouldn't recommend living in Spring Hill. Look closer to Tampa or in northern Pinellas County.
Agree with all this.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,379 times
Quote:
My question to you would be...Are you looking for a salary/hourly wage type of employment or are you open to adding to a position you get in the future an additional stream of income based on commission and bonuses without sacrificing your current profession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay