Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 PM

485 posts, read 324,023 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add something to my original post...this job move will only be for 3 years. I guess it could end up being longer if we choose to renew our contract there but as far as we know, it will only be for 3 years and then after that? Who knows. We'll have to see where life's journey takes us after that I guess.

I'm surprised no one mentioned to stay in California...that's what my mother-in-law wants us to do because she doesn't want us living so far away from her. BUT...you know what they say about mother-in-laws...so us living farther away wouldn't really bother me too much if you know what I mean, lol.

I want to thank everyone for your comments; good points were made and you guys have been very helpful, I really appreciated reading them...thank you! I think we'll be making our decision sometime next week so I'll let you guys know what we decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
. Plus, it was just named #1 mid-size city for the arts. A lot of museums there. And good restaurants, too.

!
Firstly, St Petersburg should not be named #1 midsize city for the arts. It has big museums sure but, there is a lack of support for arts in the local community. It is practically non-existent. People love to have the arts associated with their town because it makes it seem posh and drives their home prices up but, yet they think they can achieve this with no support for it.

Secondly, St Petersburg has 2-3 good restaurants but for the most part the food is pretty dire in the local eateries and overpriced. This is the way I find it at least.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
No one mentioned you remain in Cali because California is pretty to look at and that's it. Its overly expensive, over crowded, it has earthquakes, the traffic is insane, and has a few other gross things I won't mention here....and frankly, I don't think your "mother in law" or parents should decide where you live. If they want to be close "they" should move closer...that's why we have Skype now and other means to communicate with people that are far away....

So great! You get to spend 3 years on the East Coast! How many people get to do that???????? not many, and the ones who do, make that move with great efforts! Not everyone gets "relocation assistance", and/or a $16k raise.

I think you are very fortunate, and should totally take the opportunity; plus, I highly doubt those mountains will go anywhere while you're down here.

The best beaches in the US are here on the Gulf Coast...take advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
I forgot to add something to my original post...this job move will only be for 3 years. I guess it could end up being longer if we choose to renew our contract there but as far as we know, it will only be for 3 years and then after that? Who knows. We'll have to see where life's journey takes us after that I guess.

I'm surprised no one mentioned to stay in California...that's what my mother-in-law wants us to do because she doesn't want us living so far away from her. BUT...you know what they say about mother-in-laws...so us living farther away wouldn't really bother me too much if you know what I mean, lol.

I want to thank everyone for your comments; good points were made and you guys have been very helpful, I really appreciated reading them...thank you! I think we'll be making our decision sometime next week so I'll let you guys know what we decide.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM

670 posts, read 1,276,998 times
I say go for Tampa, you will make new friends and get to experience a new state. Your pros of moving to FL outweigh the cons. A job offer, higher pay, good benefits, beaches, no snow, no dreary long depressing winters, not so bad cost of living and no state taxes = a good situation. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 22,364 times
ur on City-Data, and using this system, u can see that the cost of living % is lower in Tampabay area then in those areas. I have to agree that Pinellas County is nice, but it is retirement, while Hillsborough County(Tampa, Brandon) is a young upper middle class working area with one of the largest county school systems in the usa! you get a very good value for you buck in the Brandon/Valrico area, which is where i am. Interstate Highway access is very easy,I-75 north and south, and I-4 east and west. Orlando is only an hour away, the sugar fine white sand powder beaches are here, fishing, boating, golf, everything! its a great place to work and play, all within a tank full of gas! not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer, everything is green, lots of clean fresh drinking water direct from the ground, Hillsborough County is cheaper generally then Pinellas, lots of fresh stawberries, tomatos,broccoli, and veggies grown locally, we have it all here, one of the top 10 airports in the world here!Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-23-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
No one mentioned you remain in Cali because California is pretty to look at and that's it. Its overly expensive, over crowded, it has earthquakes, the traffic is insane, and has a few other gross things I won't mention here....and frankly, I don't think your "mother in law" or parents should decide where you live. If they want to be close "they" should move closer...that's why we have Skype now and other means to communicate with people that are far away....
Yep, must really stink out there in Cali ... great year-round climate, beautiful coastal scenery, skiing one day, golfing the next, fantastic national parks, etc

Reminds me of the old Yogi Berra saying ... "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
AND that is exactly what I said:
"California is pretty to look at and that's it"

IT is pretty to LOOK AT!
But there is no weather on this earth that will have me pay $700k for 800 square feet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Yep, must really stink out there in Cali ... great year-round climate, beautiful coastal scenery, skiing one day, golfing the next, fantastic national parks, etc

Reminds me of the old Yogi Berra saying ... "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
AND that is exactly what I said:
"California is pretty to look at and that's it"

IT is pretty to LOOK AT!
But there is no weather on this earth that will have me pay $700k for 800 square feet!!!
Exaggerate much ?

Here's an example of Carlsbad real estate just north of San Diego ...

Carlsbad Real Estate & Carlsbad Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Exaggerate much ?

Here's an example of Carlsbad real estate just north of San Diego ...

Carlsbad Real Estate & Carlsbad Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
You brought exactly what's wrong with California. The place you referenced has a median home/condo value of 650K but the median income of house hold income is 85K. How people afford to live there is beyond me. A median income of 85K where I live affords you a nice house plus I am close to the world best beach. Now, why should I go for Carlsbad than here? I love San Diego. That's one of my fav places but at what cost?

It is shocking without any exaggeration!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
You brought exactly what's wrong with California. The place you referenced has a median home/condo value of 650K but the median income of house hold income is 85K. How people afford to live there is beyond me. A median income of 85K where I live affords you a nice house plus I am close to the world best beach. Now, why should I go for Carlsbad than here? I love San Diego. That's one of my fav places but at what cost?

It is shocking without any exaggeration!
You obviously didn't look at all of the properties for sale in Carlsbad. There are properties available for less than $300K, which a median income of 85K should be able to afford. If you're talking about homes >650K, yep you would need a higher income to qualify. But it's the same as a >650K in Tampa or anywhere in Florida. The beaches are there are pretty nice as well as is the coastal scenery; they beat anything on the East Coast of Florida and the waves bury anything on the Gulf side. The climate wins over Florida every time; you don't sweat to death for 7 months in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay