Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times

Advertisements

I would've never thought a Spring Hill thread could get so heated.

Why don't you all agree to disagree. This same conversation comes up on almost weekly basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I cant answer that as I've never been to Westport. But, if it is as you describe it to be, I dont think I ever will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
So would you rather live in Danashore or the crap hole in west Pasco called Westport? Remember i lived in Danashores from 1963 till 04 and spent 7 years in Westport.

In them 7 years i saw more low life, trashy, scumbag , drunks, drug dealing and crime that i ever would in Danashore in a 1000 years time.

I'm sure you would pick Danashore if ya had a choice over Westport.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM

I dont think it's heated. Simply different views of the same picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

Why don't you all agree to disagree. This same conversation comes up on almost weekly basis.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Oh, quiet people who sit alone with their noses in books. How quaint!

I Agree that a well-educated person doesn't necessarily have to have a college degree

As you venture through life you will probably learn that it does not take an education to enjoy bookstores and libraries, have some sort of training beyond a high school diploma, be well-traveled, be able to read and write well, and be able communicate with correct grammar and spelling. A person without an education beyond the 8th grade certainly can also know a great deal about different cultures and how to behave in nice restaurants. Same person usually does place a high value on teaching their children morals and are involved in their children's schools and education.

Funny thing, over the years I have found that a lot of the people I had known who were "well schooled" were working in fields other than what they were in school for and making a lot less money while doing it.

Overall, from the report of the "drive by shooting" which was more like shots fired at a house, and the fact that you see gang bangers walking around your neighborhood stealing stuff off your doorstep, dealing drugs, shooting up houses, smoking pot in the culvert next to my house, etc. Please do tell me what zip code that you are leaving. I'd be very curious to look at the crime statistics for that area.

Besides that, Spring Hill is not a city. It is a large tract of unincorporated
housing in a County. Yes, of course it has changed over the past 10 years. That is what happens in the world. Things change. Cant avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
When I am speaking of educated people, I mean those who enjoy bookstores and libraries, have some sort of training beyond a high school diploma, are well-traveled, who can read and write well, and who can communicate with correct grammar and spelling. An educated person, in my opinion, also knows a great deal about different cultures and how to behave in nice restaurants, etc. They also place a high value on teaching their children morals and are involved in their children's schools and education. A well-educated person doesn't necessarily have to have a college degree, but in my experience most who ARE well-educated are also well-schooled.

I was very fortunate to have grown up in a family of professionals who were also very down to earth. Now that I am an adult with a family of my own, I have friends from ALL walks of life … doctors, lawyers, construction workers, waitresses, retail sales associates, etc. I don't pick my friends based on their diplomas. However, I will say that my friends in Spring Hill who are in construction or other fields that require little more than a high school diploma have suffered greatly in this economy. The majority of my friends here in Spring Hill are on some sort of government assistance. I don't want that for my children. I don't want them to have to worry each month if they have enough money to pay the bills. I don't want them to be reliant upon the government. To give my kids the best shot at a decent life, I know I need to step it up and make sure they are in good schools surrounded by families who value education and hard work. As a guidance counselor at a local school, I see first hand how many of the families in Spring Hill fail their children by not pushing them to work hard and get good grades. It saddens me a great deal, especially because I was not raised that way. I'm tired of seeing the gang bangers walking around my neighborhood stealing stuff off my doorstep, dealing drugs, shooting up houses, smoking pot in the culvert next to my house, etc. I'm tired of their parents who do nothing to stop this sort of behavior. These kinds of things did not happen when we were living in Spring Hill ten years ago. Say what you want … the area HAS changed.

I guess I'm not most people. I am not satisfied with "average", although I believe Spring Hill isn't even that. If I had to label the area, I'd say it has a lower education level and a lower economic class than the average American city. I'd say overall Spring Hill is slightly below average.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Overall, from the report of the "drive by shooting" which was more like shots fired at a house, and the fact that you see gang bangers walking around your neighborhood stealing stuff off your doorstep, dealing drugs, shooting up houses, smoking pot in the culvert next to my house, etc. Please do tell me what zip code that you are leaving. I'd be very curious to look at the crime statistics for that area.
Isn't shots fired at a house the same thing as a drive by shooting?

Our area code is 34608. We are close to Delta Woods Park. Knock yourself out.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
I think part of the problem here is lumping all of Spring Hill into one basket.

There are several gated communities with upscale homes, there is the area behind Veteran's Park that has very nice homes that are on 1/2, 3/4, and some one acre lots that look like an upper middle class area.

In fact you could move those homes to an upper middle class area of Southern CA and they would fit right in.

Now to be fair there are parts of Spring Hill that have gotten very run down(the closer you get to US 19), and the type of people moving in are not desireable.

But to say the whole area is run down is not correct or fair.

We don't know what the future holds. But I don't see how low income people are going to afford a sprawling ranch home with a three car garage on 3/4 acre plot.

floridagirl777- I agree with a lot of what you're saying about education, but there are parts of Spring Hill that have very nice homes that are well maintained.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think part of the problem here is lumping all of Spring Hill into one basket.

There are several gated communities with upscale homes, there is the area behind Veteran's Park that has very nice homes that are on 1/2, 3/4, and some one acre lots that look like an upper middle class area.

In fact you could move those homes to an upper middle class area of Southern CA and they would fit right in.

Now to be fair there are parts of Spring Hill that have gotten very run down(the closer you get to US 19), and the type of people moving in are not desireable.

But to say the whole area is run down is not correct or fair.

We don't know what the future holds. But I don't see how low income people are going to afford a sprawling ranch home with a three car garage on 3/4 acre plot.

floridagirl777- I agree with a lot of what you're saying about education, but there are parts of Spring Hill that have very nice homes that are well maintained.
Well any gated place will be nice most likely in any area but you have to leave it.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

Some get offended when they are shown data that indicates an area has a lower quality of living. I'm not going to get all worked up if someone from Beverly Hills tells me my city isn't a place they'd ever live.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well any gated place will be nice most likely in any area but you have to leave it.
Yes you might have to leave those gates and go into neighborhoods like this.

Yes, there are some run down areas of Spring Hill but it is certainly nothing like some here portray it.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Don't know what that pic proves. There are even one or two nice homes like the one's above in Portrichey. Does no good when all the bums and druggies target them kind of homes compared to the 1000's of small 2bedroom shoebox homes. The back of Westport and EP gets all the break ins compared to the rest of Westport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay