Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM

126 posts, read 218,780 times

Advertisements

Every house I have called on is either pending applications or has a number of people already waiting to see it. What is the deal? I spoke with a Realtor who advised the supply is less than the demand right now and 3/4 of the rentals are with a Realtor. She also told me that Realtors do not like to waste their time on rentals because of the low to no commission.

How am I suppose to have help finding a place when Realtors do not want to put in their time to help but I need them to see the house?

I am so stressed about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,265 times
There are rentals available. They are in high demand and good places at good prices are renting fast.

If you look at some of the commercial websites like realtor.com they are not very good at keep up to date.

As far as not dealing with rentals because of the low commission, not true. The average person looking for a rental is planning ahead before they move. Sometimes more than a few months ahead. They want infomration on numerous properties, so you get it together and send it to them. They make a trip here to look at 10-15 rentals in a 1-2 day period. You set it all up, and it takes a lot of time, and you show them the properties. They do not decide on one, they want to go home and think about it. When they go home and think about it, they decide which one, go directly to the listing company and get the rental they want.
So the Realtor that has spent many days of prep work, 1-2 days showing, and in the end, the client went around the Realtor. It doesn't matter to the customer, they are happy with their place. The Realtor has wasted well over a week of time to end up with nothing.
You have a place you want to rent, someone will take you there immediately if you're going to sign the lease.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM

44 posts, read 68,471 times
Homes to buy under 175k are in the same boat...short sales and foreclosures are going under agreement the same day they are listed. My husband is there now trying to get something before Sat

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
There are rentals available. They are in high demand and good places at good prices are renting fast.

If you look at some of the commercial websites like realtor.com they are not very good at keep up to date.

As far as not dealing with rentals because of the low commission, not true. The average person looking for a rental is planning ahead before they move. Sometimes more than a few months ahead. They want infomration on numerous properties, so you get it together and send it to them. They make a trip here to look at 10-15 rentals in a 1-2 day period. You set it all up, and it takes a lot of time, and you show them the properties. They do not decide on one, they want to go home and think about it. When they go home and think about it, they decide which one, go directly to the listing company and get the rental they want.
So the Realtor that has spent many days of prep work, 1-2 days showing, and in the end, the client went around the Realtor. It doesn't matter to the customer, they are happy with their place. The Realtor has wasted well over a week of time to end up with nothing.
You have a place you want to rent, someone will take you there immediately if you're going to sign the lease.
So this is why when they call or want to rent a place it is not available.It doesn't pay to show a property and then not get paid.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,265 times
Annie,
No, not at all. I believe we are talking two different subjects. One being Real Estate Agents that don't want to be property managers and the other is if there is in fact a high demand for rental homes.

If I were looking at renting a house I would call a Property Management Company that specializes in home rentals. They have agents that specialize in that area. Calling an agent that specializes in Residential Sales is different and some of those agents don't want to be involved in rentals. The agent listed for the rental home SHOULD BE DOING THERE BEST TO GET THAT HOME RENTED. But if there is a waiting list, it is because of the high demand.

What I wanted to put out there is a site like Realtor.com where you can find home rentals. The site has a delay in updating information though. I just checked for rentals in the 33647 zip code, 3 bedroom+, single family home, between 1200-2400 per month and came up with 38 homes (Realtor.com may have 50-70 homes). Each home is available for rent and not under a contract. It will immediately come out of the system when rented. It is against the law to not have an updated list and put out incorrect information in the State of Florida.

To me it is not about a low commission, not at all. To me it is about putting in 15-25 hours of work only to have the renter not feel obligated to rent though you. But there is always a contract that can legally bind someone that is looking for a rental to pay you for your service. But I would rather trust someone on thier word.

LILACMAMA - You can USE ANY REALTOR to show you a house. Not just the person who has the name on the listing

Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
I dont know about all of that - my landlord is a real estate company and while they are a big name real estate company - this particular branch deals with nearly all rental properties that they manage for the owners. So, in my case, the owner is NOT the company - my owner is infact a military family in another state who wants to move back eventually so they outsourced the rental duties to this company.

Most of their rentals are in brandon/riverview but if you want the name, i'd be glad to PM it to you.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM

188 posts, read 331,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama View Post
Every house I have called on is either pending applications or has a number of people already waiting to see it. What is the deal? I spoke with a Realtor who advised the supply is less than the demand right now and 3/4 of the rentals are with a Realtor. She also told me that Realtors do not like to waste their time on rentals because of the low to no commission.

How am I suppose to have help finding a place when Realtors do not want to put in their time to help but I need them to see the house?

I am so stressed about this.

OMG!! I am in the EXACT same boat. Last week I had a realtor tell me she'd help me find a home despite there being very little money in it for her. That was the last time I EVER heard from her. I've started just calling listing agents myself and get the same answer... already rented or 4 pending applications. So frustrating! I'm beginning to think we're gonna have to live in our van.

Are you local? I'm trying to do it from 2000 miles away and it's proving to be difficult. One owner I spoke with this morning said he had posted his home 12 hours earlier and literally had people on the driveway wanting to see it. They probably have cash deposits in hand too. How am I supposed to compete with that? The best I can do is overnight a cashier's checks. I won't even mention what the thought of going someplace "sight unseen" does for me.

I totally know how stressed you must be. Same. With no good advice to offer.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Tampa FL Homes for Sale & Tampa Real Estate - Zillow

^^ Of course, I am sure not all of these are available but maybe you can find a rental company

I agree you need to find a rental mgt company.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
We did the same thing...we had to rent something from 1200 miles away when we got back a few weeks ago...it wasn't easy seeing the tiny inventory...but my problem was overpaying for something more than finding something...I emailed every property that could have worked for us, and asked them to negotiate the rent, someone did...and we signed the lease.

You also have to keep a close eye on properties that are listed JUST to hike up the rent. We have encountered about 6 of those; where the property wasn't "really" for rent or sale....but it was posted with a higher price to inflate rents in that particular neighborhood. This happened in Pennsylvania too...one property sat listed for $1450 for like 4 months, and then they upped the price to $1650....the owners were vacationing overseas, and had no idea there was a "for rent" sign in their front yard! nor that their house was advertised online...until they got back and the neighbors asked them when they're moving!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,262 times
Hey Algia,
Did you move back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We did the same thing...we had to rent something from 1200 miles away when we got back a few weeks ago...it wasn't easy seeing the tiny inventory...but my problem was overpaying for something more than finding something...I emailed every property that could have worked for us, and asked them to negotiate the rent, someone did...and we signed the lease.

You also have to keep a close eye on properties that are listed JUST to hike up the rent. We have encountered about 6 of those; where the property wasn't "really" for rent or sale....but it was posted with a higher price to inflate rents in that particular neighborhood. This happened in Pennsylvania too...one property sat listed for $1450 for like 4 months, and then they upped the price to $1650....the owners were vacationing overseas, and had no idea there was a "for rent" sign in their front yard! nor that their house was advertised online...until they got back and the neighbors asked them when they're moving!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay