Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,820 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am likely moving my family from NJ to a northern suburb of Tampa. Undecided between Lutz, Trinity, Odessa, Keystone. I have a 2yr old daughter who will need to start pre-K soon. Can anyone recommend a highly rated pre-school in these areas? I have been looking into Carrollwood Day School preschool program, Discovery Kids in Trinity and Countryside Montessori Academy in Lutz. Any other suggestions or just comments on the schools I have listed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM

188 posts, read 332,038 times
I can't wait to see the recommendations you get since I'm in the same boat! I have 4 year old twin boys that I'll need to enroll in a pre-K program asap. We're moving there at the end of July, looking to be in the same areas. Hubby is flying down next weekend to hopefully secure a home for us. I'll also check out pre-k programs through the elementary schools once we know where we'll be living.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
On Lutz Lake Fern (two minutes from Villa Rosa as in get out of Villa Rosa make a left and another left immediately) you have Primrose...on the other side going towards Suncoast Parkway there is Discovery Point...both have pre-school, VPK (free pre-school for 4 year olds) and daycare. A little further down Lutz Lake Fern Rd you have Barrington Academy...

My daughter went to VPK at Primrose, and we liked it very much.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
YOu do know Florida has free VPK, right? Do your due diligence. Google for VPK Florida. Call the places that you think you may be interested in. From there, visit the ones which make the cut. Some will require additional money (out of pocket) some may require you to volunteer, others may simply notify you that the amount Florida pays does not cover their costs and would like you to contribute. Some are happy with what FL pays and will not ask you for a dime.

IMO - The better schools are the ones which notify you that FL VPK does not cover all their expenses and would like you to volunteer or help raise funds to make up the difference. Our son went to a Catholic VPK. OUr family is not religious but it was by far the best school we checked out. VPK did not cover all their costs so we participated in fundraisers and volunteered. Like I said, we are not religious, but it was well worth it even though we got asked about God at least twice a week. :-)

Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 AM

Free VPK is ONLY for 4 year olds. She has a 2 year old.
For 2 year olds there are churches and other places like I mentioned above that offer 2, 3 days a week, half days like from 9 to 12. Some of the churches however have waiting lists fyi.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 AM

306 posts, read 451,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivan150 View Post
Hi,

I am likely moving my family from NJ to a northern suburb of Tampa. Undecided between Lutz, Trinity, Odessa, Keystone. I have a 2yr old daughter who will need to start pre-K soon. Can anyone recommend a highly rated pre-school in these areas? I have been looking into Carrollwood Day School preschool program, Discovery Kids in Trinity and Countryside Montessori Academy in Lutz. Any other suggestions or just comments on the schools I have listed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I would look into the Montessori program, it does wonders with the kids. My daughter attended the Montessori Academy of New Tampa, and we were extremely happy with their teachers (especially the ones in the 2-4 age categories, but if you are on the competitive side, you might like the other ones, too). Some parents that I talked to mentioned to me that they moved their kids from other daycare centers to this school and saw a lot of progress. I don't know much about the Montessori (pre)school you are mentioning, though...

Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,820 times
Thank you for all the replies. Seems like I will have to take tours and get a feel for the environment, child to teacher ratios and early development curriculum of each of these places before making a final decision.

I notice that costs can vary. The most expensive appears to be nearly $10,000 a school year (8 months) tuition for a fulltime (5d/week) preschool program at Carrollwood Day School. Anyone know what the premium price is providing in return?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I am always amazed at the price that these programs cost today.

You can go to an NCAA Division I SEC school (ANY ONE OF THEM) for a year of college cheaper than you can a PRE-K class.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM

188 posts, read 332,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivan150 View Post
Thank you for all the replies. Seems like I will have to take tours and get a feel for the environment, child to teacher ratios and early development curriculum of each of these places before making a final decision.

I notice that costs can vary. The most expensive appears to be nearly $10,000 a school year (8 months) tuition for a fulltime (5d/week) preschool program at Carrollwood Day School. Anyone know what the premium price is providing in return?
Holy crap! I can tell you where we WON'T be going. Everything x2 with twins.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM

$10,000 for preschool? OMG! That's insane...do they go from Preschool to CEO?

Native2UT If you end up in Villa Rosa, (as I saw several rentals there just now) or Herritage Harbor, Cheval, Stone Briar etc....I think You'll like Primrose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: