U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 05:15 AM

379 posts, read 1,307,427 times

Advertisements

I'm used to making ends meet on a relatively tight budget...factoring in not only the usual cost of living but also afterschool program costs etc, can I make it on 31k and live among folks who are good citizens and have pride in their neighborhood?...and of course as good school for my son. Less than 20 minutes to Clearwater. If so, any specific neighborhoods to focus on would be great.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 PM

18,590 posts, read 12,207,150 times
Gonna be tough to do if you want a Nice hood in the Tampa area.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,315,206 times
If you live with-in your means and spend wisely (no extras), I think it's possible. But CHASL is correct, the right home/neighborhood will be one factor. Having a reliable car that doesn't eat up your $$ with repairs is another. Not having a lot of unnecessary monthly expenses is important (no Starbucks, expensive cell phones, expensive cable, etc). I think there are a lot of families that could live off of $31k/yr, and some would say they'd be comfortable. Sorry, can't help you with community recommendations -

Good luck

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,291,792 times
I think it's possible, but not easy. I agree that you'd have to be extremely frugal. Do you have any savings for emergencies?

I don't know the Clearwater area very well, so I'm not any help with neighborhoods, but what about an apartment complex rather than a house? You might be more likely to find a nice apartment community within your budget.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,272,058 times
Hey, I'll make this simple for you: There are 6 of us on 37k! If there are two of u on 31k, I say you will be FINE!!!

Housing cost (rent) would b your biggest expense if u want the good schools, everything else is gravy.

Look at Palm Harbor, plenty of communities, good schools, and on a good day potentially 20 minutes from Clearwater.

(PS, I wouldn't call us "frugal though"! we splurge on the Disney passes with the FL resident discount to have our entertainment covered for all of us, and we don't eat out! generally bc of portion sizes) my cell bill is $260 definitely NOT frugal hahahahah)

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,315,206 times
Busch Gardens has annual passes with parking that are worth it, imo, as well.

I can afford all kinds of entertainment, but I still use the local library a lot of the time for movie rentals -or RedBox ($1.25 for a night).

I know people that volunteer at Straz Performning Arts once a week or so to serve at ushers (easy work) in order to get free admission to Broadway plays and the Florida Orchestra performances.

Most/some beaches are free.

Parks are free.

TBO.com offer all kinds of suggestions for cheap entertainment for families every week, free concerts, etc.

There's actually a thread on CDF on living off a shoestring that you might be interested in reading - some good ideas there.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM

463 posts, read 954,902 times
I agree that the majority of your money will be put toward rent, if you are frugal with everything else you should be fine.

I would also recommend the city of Oldsmar, it's got access to a lot of free parks and the schools are good.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,272,058 times
Here's a list of parks etc:
Pinellas County Florida - Parks & Preserves

Yeah, there are a lot of theme parks around, take your pick...now we have Legoland too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay