Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM

296 posts, read 658,331 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Tampa and considering a move to Clearwater. Living closer to the beach would be a nice change up. I've found a few places near downtown or I dunno they might be considered downtown with some nice rent prices... but I don't know what the area is like...

They are off Court St. , Madison Ave, and Druid. All about a 3-5 min drive to the beach.

Any issues with crime? Or anything else I should know?

Also, is the scientology problem in downtown Clearwater really that bad? Will I be hasseled by it?

Thanks for your input ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I think you should look else where in the area, you did not say apt or house, but there are some nice places that are not downtown. Also rem the traffic during spring break or holidays,,, you will never get to work... ever! There are apts lined off Belcher that are pretty good, & rem you can get to beaches via way of Bay to Bay, and avoid the long traffic lines on RT 60. Again do not know if u are male or female, but safety is always first thought getting a place to live.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
No, you dont want to live in that area.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
I am currently living in Tampa and considering a move to Clearwater. Living closer to the beach would be a nice change up. I've found a few places near downtown or I dunno they might be considered downtown with some nice rent prices... but I don't know what the area is like...

They are off Court St. , Madison Ave, and Druid. All about a 3-5 min drive to the beach.

Any issues with crime? Or anything else I should know?

Also, is the scientology problem in downtown Clearwater really that bad? Will I be hasseled by it?

Thanks for your input ahead of time!
The area you mentioned does have issues with crime. Check out Pinellas County Crime Viewer. It will give you specifics: Pinellas County Crime Viewer

Scientology is not a problem. They keep to themselves and look pretty clean cut. The only issue I have with them is they do not pay taxes even though they pretty much own downtown … which means the city doesn't get revenue from them.

A friend of mine is a police officer down in Clearwater. He said to avoid housing around downtown and anything south of Gulf to Bay. The bad stuff is inching its way north of Gulf to Bay, but it will probably be OK there for a little while longer.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
The area you mentioned does have issues with crime. Check out Pinellas County Crime Viewer. It will give you specifics: Pinellas County Crime Viewer

Scientology is not a problem. They keep to themselves and look pretty clean cut. The only issue I have with them is they do not pay taxes even though they pretty much own downtown … which means the city doesn't get revenue from them.

A friend of mine is a police officer down in Clearwater. He said to avoid housing around downtown and anything south of Gulf to Bay. The bad stuff is inching its way north of Gulf to Bay, but it will probably be OK there for a little while longer.

^^Map is not working for me

Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 180,089 times
Look into Dunedin! Very safe with a great downtown area. In Clearwater I would stay away of anything west of Keene and south of Sunset Point, although there are some decent areas they are in between lousy ones.

As far as traffic, Clearwater is really easy to navigate for residents because they know how to avoid Gulf to Bay when it is backed up. There are some really nice apartments (on Keene I think) that are just barely in Dunedin. There are some nice ones West of Keene on the N side of Sunset Point. Safety Harbor is another great area, somewhat like Dunedin.

If you're dead set on Clearwater, what is your price range like? I have a friend who owns apartments in CW and Dunedin, ranging from $580-$1000.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Rough area.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I love the Bellair /Belcher area all the way to Bay to Bay

Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
^^Map is not working for me
Try googling Pinellas County Crime Viewer. It should come up there.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM

296 posts, read 658,331 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess I will look elsewhere... I am male and can fend for myself, not worried about crime on a personal level, but a previous home of mine has been robbed before and I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks for the Dunedin idea, however I'm a young adult and there is just not much of my demographic in that area. I may look to stay on the Hillsborough side of things, though I do really like Clearwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay