Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM

34 posts, read 40,725 times

Advertisements

I've checked around. The nearest shelter is in Hudson. I can't get there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
That sucks man....been there and done that earlier in my life. There's a Catholic Church off of 52 in between La Maderia and US 19, that may be able to point you in the right direction, but they probably won't be open til tommorow.

Many years ago , I got homeless and decided the best place to be was Clearwater Beach, they have showers out there. It was great and I would get a fishing pole and plant it in the sand and sleep next to it, or sleep under the bridge and cast a line out. Several times drunk women would feel sorry for me and invite me stay at their condos or hotel rooms. The cool thing about beach sleeping is there's usually always a breeze to keep the mosquitos off you. I landed a job at the Hilton bussing tables...free eats came along with the job, got on my feet again from there.

It's important to remember to stay clean and employable, safe, and I always said to myself, "This is temporary, things will turn around". Looking back, I wish I could do it all over again, it was fun, unpredictable, livin on the edge. No car payment, rent, bills, it was freedom.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 PM

Thank you for the encouragement Sgt. Busscut. I had to leave where I was at when I posted my first post. It's official ... I am sleeping under the star ... I mean clouds tonight. Luckily I still have access to the place's wifi, but my battery won't last too long. Wish there was enuff light ... I'd take a picture of my 'bed' :-)

Thanks again. I'll check it out tomorrow.

- Dale

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Any chance of hitch hiking up to Hudson?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM

Hello jambo101.
I'm aware of the shelters in Hudson, if that's what you mean. Unfortunately I need to stay close to US19 and Trouble Creek area in New Port Richey due to potential employment, and other issues. I'd like to copy/paste something I posted on another forum. It will help explain things more without me having to retype it all.

paste

Up until Monday June 4th, I took care of 'Robert', a 49 year old male who has special needs, and besides other things, not able to drive. He lives alone in a gated apartment community. I would stay with him throughout the entire day. I, being somewhat homeless, would leave his apartment around 11pm and sleep in my car in the parking lot until approximately 8am the next morning when I would return to his apartment and start the daily routine all over again.

On June 4th, one of Robert's neighbors reported me and my car to the apartment office as being suspicious, and the office called the sheriff department. I was just getting ready walk back to Robert's when an officer drove up. He asked me for my ID/DL and asked what I was doing there. After explaining, the officer took my ID/DL and (I suppose) radioed my ID for possible warrants. He then proceeded to Robert's apartment (without me) and asked Robert if he knew me. Robert confirmed my entire my story. However...

When the officer returned, he told me that since my DL had been suspended due to lack of insurance, he was keeping it. He also told me he was instructed to seize my tags, and that I had about five minutes to 'walk', otherwise I would be arrested for trespassing. Thinking that I would have Robert remove certain necessities from my car, I took very little (my laptop, and the clothes on my back) and stopped briefly at Robert's to explain what what happening, and that I would call him soon to make sure he was OK, and tell him what I needed from my car. I do not have a cell phone. I make calls from my laptop via Google Gmail's chat/phone call feature. It works quite well, but needs an internet connection to make calls ... obviously.

I called Robert as soon as I could which was about three hours later. He told me the officer had returned about thirty minutes after I had left and that there was a trespass warrant against me. He also said that my car was towed ... thirty minutes after I had left!

I talked with the impound lot yesterday (Tuesday, June 12th) to see if I could retrieve some items from my car. The person said I needed photo ID in order to have access to my car. Well, the only photo ID that I had was my DL, which I no longer have. In order for me to get an ID, I need my birth certificate (which I don't have) or my Social Security card. Guess where my Social Security card is. IN MY CAR! Towards the end of my conversation with the impound lot, the person I was talking with asked me what my intentions were with my car. I told him that I wanted my car back and was doing everything I could to arrange it. He stated "...when? Because we're gonna end up owning it ... ". I asked him how long I had and he only said it depended on when it was picked up.

So ... all my possessions are in my vehicle which I cannot have access to without photo ID .... blah blah blah. I hope you get the gist of my situation.

/paste

Since I posted that, I did manage to retrieve some clothes a other necessities.

I have about 1 1/2 weeks to get my car (2005 Honda CRV owned) out of the impound lot.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Oh ... I'll be 59 years old in July. ugh

Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beggersrun View Post
I've checked around. The nearest shelter is in Hudson. I can't get there.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
- Dale
Hey Dale....how did you put yourself into this position and where and how did you pay for using a computer?? If you have cash to semi take care of yourself then get on a bus and get to Hudson. You shouldn't spend anymore time on the street than you have to, not safe. Get a move on and figure out how to get bus fare to that shelter then go from there! Where is your family? Are you a local? It is no longer a safe world so the sooner you figure this one out the better!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 AM

Hello Pannyd. Please see my post above yours for an explanation. I've had my laptop for a couple of years. I use to design websites and host karaoke shows with it at various venues in the area. I'm sitting outside of what I hope to be a place of future employment connected to their wifi. I have about $5.30 in cash, but I do have food stamps. I do not receive unemployment or any other ... uh ... charities?

No family. I've lived in the area for about 4 years. I was sleeping fine under that bush, until some lawn maintenance guys started mowing the grass! :-)

Thanks!

- Dale

Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Can't imagine going through what you're going through. Not having a roof over your head or wondering where your next meal will come from. You'd probably get more help from someone, but in today's day and age of violence in our society, there's probably not much trust. At least that's my point of view.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Hello BucFan ... Go BUCS! :-)

I'll tell you, this is the lowest I've ever been. I was in broadcasting from 1981 to 1992, with Federal Express from 1989 to 2002 when I injured myself at home. I was on long-term disability until FedEx finally terminated my employment. I started designing websites and hosted karaoke shows until I could find real work, and a real paycheck.

Anyone have Skype? I can give you live video traffic updates at US 19 and Trouble Creek! :-)

- Dale

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Can't you sell the car to Robert or anyone for that matter, they'd have to come up with impound fees, but let anyone have it except the slimy impound yard. Filthiest business on face of the planet, tow companies and their affiliated impound yards. They trample all over our rights in the FL Constitution. See what the church and shelter say....don't know if it's still there but somewhere off of 49th st down in Largo/Pinellas park they had a tent city or old jail space converted to house homeless.

The important thing is trying to keep that license valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay