Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times

Advertisements

Tampa bay area is hurting with all the influx of Northerns coming down over the last several years do to companies moving portions of there Customer service centers down. Than with the housing market heading elsewhere, not one person can say exactly where, the job market has gotten even more competitive.

Just to let all of you folks know this is a place where I had one employer tell me that my raise was "Being able to live the Florida Lifestyle". Seeing as Florida has the greatest Beaches and the most Sun. That was my raise.

Good luck in all your endeavors of finding gainfull employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM

38 posts, read 145,969 times
Hey, can I ask, is the medical field about the same? I have 5 years of experience as a medical secretary. Do you think I will have a hard time finding a decent job?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:10 PM

81 posts, read 308,415 times
I personally never had problem finding jobs in last 6-7 years in Tampa. I work as consultant in tech field and my gf works in finance field. She had some trouble getting the salary she wanted in her field initially when she started but she didnt have tough time finding job. Once settled about a year she too started getting good offers.

If you are in financial or tech consulting, you can try with KForce. They've got their US head quarter in Tampa - it is in Ybor City. They helped me a lot in past. Also, PWC is constantly hiring in both IT and Finance jobs. If you are in telecom field you may not have good luck with Verizon here as their land line business is doing not so good and they dont have Verizon wireless corporate office here in Tampa. HSBC is also still hiring. Though Citigroup is not hiring these days 'coz of all thrashing they have received in subrime mess. Citi is cutting lot of jobs. Then there is HSN corporate office. If you are from accounting field there are lot of jobs right now but that is probably because of tax season as well. But airport/west shore area is pretty good for that. There is Cohen & Grieb on westshore which is excellent CPA firm.

That's just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM

69 posts, read 203,610 times
Default Decisions, decisions, decisions

All of the above is dead on about tampa this is my second stint in tampa the first stay wages were low and the second time it seems even lower b/c of the continued rising cost of living among other reasons. Sometimes there comes a time when you have to make a choice for whats really right for you, in life sometimes there are trade offs and some of us get lucky enough to pick the right choice the first time and for others...well we just gotta keep at it! I'm on my way outta florida again.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Default You Don't Like the Job Market Here?

If all of you complaining about the job market here, how you/your friends have to take a cut in pay here, the housing market, how tough it is to find a professional job, how Florida will never be what California/other states will be, etc...don't like it, then why don't you go back? I know that there is a lot here that needs to be fixed, but I was born and raised in this area and my family has been in Florida for many generations. I even had ancestors from Florida who fought for the Confederacy. Meanwhile, I too am looking and having a terrible time trying to find a new job...and I have a Bachelors Degree, a Masters Degree in Business, and a Doctorate. I mean no disrespect, but all you do is make it harder for the people who are already in a tough job market to get a job.

Florida has one of the toughest job markets and highest unemployment rates in the entire country. Why would you even want to come here? The sun and beach are not reality and real life is not a Jimmy Buffet song sitting on the beach sipping Piña Coladas.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC0316 View Post
Florida has one of the toughest job markets and highest unemployment rates in the entire country. Why would you even want to come here? The sun and beach are not reality and real life is not a Jimmy Buffet song sitting on the beach sipping Piña Coladas.
Amen
Bravo!
Well said!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
I know several recuiters down here. One helped me land my current job that, according to Red3311, shouldn't exist because I'm not on food stamps and I live comfortably.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
man, I dont know what kind of jobs you guys are looking for but 50k+ a year is not hard to find here. Maybe some people should be willing to get off there butts and do some work. You would be amazed at how much better life can be when your not stuck in your cube and your making more money too.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC0316 View Post
If all of you complaining about the job market here, how you/your friends have to take a cut in pay here, the housing market, how tough it is to find a professional job, how Florida will never be what California/other states will be, etc...don't like it, then why don't you go back? I know that there is a lot here that needs to be fixed, but I was born and raised in this area and my family has been in Florida for many generations. I even had ancestors from Florida who fought for the Confederacy. Meanwhile, I too am looking and having a terrible time trying to find a new job...and I have a Bachelors Degree, a Masters Degree in Business, and a Doctorate. I mean no disrespect, but all you do is make it harder for the people who are already in a tough job market to get a job.

OMG! stop- they are not moving into your back yard! Please come with your ideas, and invent jobs and wiggle in where you can... and maybe we can grow where there are jobs for many people.. ( from another native)

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Amen
Bravo!
Well said!
really???- this is the mentallity that thwarts our growth....
young people have new ideas new ways,,, and are the FUTURE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: