Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Shooting off fireworks on the days before and after July 4 and Dec. 31 has become common all over the nation. It has nothing to do with the class or education levels. I lived in Cambridge, Mass. (one of the wealthiest and most educated cities in the WORLD), and it was quite common there too (even though fireworks are illegal in Mass.), especially on the night when Obama got elected. The popularity of fireworks has increased in the last 10 years, leading to the trend.

If you think Tampa Bay or Florida are too low class, too un-educated (USER8???), you don't like the fireworks behaviors here, the neighborhood where you live is infested with pyromaniacs, etc.,
you know you have a choice:

MOVE.

By the way I agree with the poster who says fireworks aren't worth severing an arm for. Then again, we all just wanna see that smile on our kids faces....
I did move. To an area of Tampa that has mostly normal people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Badbird2000, gave u reps for that, hilariously AWESOME!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 AM

226 posts, read 339,628 times
LOL, this forum is just a mixed bag...It goes from griping to whining to fighting to pms'ing to acting like snobs back to whining and then some more fighting. Geesh I feel like I'm back home in Argentina reading here LOL.

I mean this crap happens in Georgia also...but I guess we could definately categorize this state as uneducated and low class also. Which, isn't far off to be honest lol

Oh and user8, define "NORMAL"

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
You can call it PMS, you can call it whining, fighting, griping, Argentinian whatever. But don't call me if your garage catches fire from your neighbors kids setting off illegal fireworks. Or if you lose some of your hearing the next time you go to a show. I think some people are taking this thing too far, but it's very true that fireworks can be a nuisance and are in fact very deadly. And that is nothing to mock, make fun of or dismiss. You never know when the day comes for tragedy to strike in your family. I learned that a while ago.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM

226 posts, read 339,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
You can call it PMS, you can call it whining, fighting, griping, Argentinian whatever. But don't call me if your garage catches fire from your neighbors kids setting off illegal fireworks. Or if you lose some of your hearing the next time you go to a show. I think some people are taking this thing too far, but it's very true that fireworks can be a nuisance and are in fact very deadly. And that is nothing to mock, make fun of or dismiss. You never know when the day comes for tragedy to strike in your family. I learned that a while ago.
I'm sure I won't call you because I don't know you. I've attended concerts louder then firework shows YES they can be a nuisance, but so are a million other things in life we have to deal with...take for instance my step-daughter LOL

Just seems like so many threads people get so darn heated about stuff that really wouldn't seem like such a heated topic (unlike step-children)

Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
There are a few people here who think their s*** does not stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
I'm sure I won't call you because I don't know you. I've attended concerts louder then firework shows YES they can be a nuisance, but so are a million other things in life we have to deal with...take for instance my step-daughter LOL

Just seems like so many threads people get so darn heated about stuff that really wouldn't seem like such a heated topic (unlike step-children)

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I save all mine up and shoot them off around 12:30 am the night before kids go back to school. Seems fair to me
Even I have to admit that's a pretty funny post! (Although if it happened in real life, I'd probably FLIP OUT!)

Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
There's a big difference between professionals putting on a fireworks display at a given date, place and time and kids/adults throwing cherry bombs and other explosive devices sometimes just feet away from another person's home. Some of this stuff is so loud it can be heard a mile away.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times
Default Fireworks are simply American

In our neck of the woods, we get to listen to explosions all day long and we LOVE it! And not fireworks explosions either, although there are professionally set up fireworks displays every Thursday in Destin (as a salute to our troops and also includes a free airshow) during the summer. Its Amercian to want to blow fireworks up. Its patriotic. They represent the bombs and explosions that made this country free. But as for the explosions, we live next to Eglin AFB, home of the EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) School, used by all the military branches as well as private security and police forces across the country (and world). We hear the bombs being blown up (and feel a good amount of them too), and we love it. Heavy artiliary, large bombs, small bombs, its part of our life. It doesn't matter if you own real estate in Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Mary Esther, Shalimar, Niceville, and Valparaiso, which are all surrounding towns to Eglin, your going to hear the sounds of old explosives being put to rest. Were American, and we love our pyrotechnics!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraamerican View Post
In our neck of the woods, we get to listen to explosions all day long and we LOVE it! And not fireworks explosions either, although there are professionally set up fireworks displays every Thursday in Destin (as a salute to our troops and also includes a free airshow) during the summer. Its Amercian to want to blow fireworks up. Its patriotic. They represent the bombs and explosions that made this country free. But as for the explosions, we live next to Eglin AFB, home of the EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) School, used by all the military branches as well as private security and police forces across the country (and world). We hear the bombs being blown up (and feel a good amount of them too), and we love it. Heavy artiliary, large bombs, small bombs, its part of our life. It doesn't matter if you own real estate in Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Mary Esther, Shalimar, Niceville, and Valparaiso, which are all surrounding towns to Eglin, your going to hear the sounds of old explosives being put to rest. Were American, and we love our pyrotechnics!
I would expect to hear noise like you described if I lived near an air force base, especially if that's where the military sets off explosives. I am sure most people who move near Eglin realize what it is like before they move there.

One of the reasons why I chose not to live near a military installment or an airport or a mine or any other loud place is because I value peace and quiet. My daughter also has moderate hearing loss and was told she needed to avoid loud noises to keep from losing her hearing completely, so this time of year is especially disconcerting for me as a mother.

There are several big differences between what your community experiences and what mine experiences, namely that the folks at Eglin are EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONALS and it is LEGAL for them do what they are doing.

In my neighborhood, KIDS and TEENS are setting off ILLEGAL explosives in the streets, just yards away from people's homes. Most of the time, their parents are not even with them when they are doing this stuff, so they are not being supervised either. I'm sorry, but I don't care if it's the 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day all wrapped up in one big holiday event … I will never condone, encourage, or otherwise get excited about unsupervised children setting off illegal explosives within range of my house. That's not patriotic at all. It's dangerous, discourteous, and let's not forget ILLEGAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay