U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 AM

15 posts, read 98,597 times
Default Is Tampa a Good Place to Live?

Would the Tampa area (or towns/suburbs within commute of Tampa) be a good place to live for me?

I'm from a small town in Louisiana. I'm in college with a 4.0 in biology but there's no opportunity here and the state taxes make it worse. I applied at USF and UT and was accepted, among other places.

But overall, is it a good place to live? Being from a small Louisiana town and of Cajun descent, would I be culture shocked? Is Tampa "southern" at all? I'm used to a southern lifestyle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,555,584 times
I lived around Biloxi on and off for 7 years including 3 years right before coming here. It does not feel like the South to me, probably because everyone is from somewhere up North!

That said, there is something for everyone over here. You're not that far away, drive over here and spend a week. The cheap cost of a hotel for a week before you make a decision like moving here would save you in the long run.

But if all you want is a Southern Lifestyle you may end up confining yourself to Louisianna or Mississippi. State taxes aren't that big of a deal in LA or MS, but opportunities are.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
But if all you want is a Southern Lifestyle you may end up confining yourself to Louisianna or Mississippi. State taxes aren't that big of a deal in LA or MS, but opportunities are.
Louisiana and Mississippi are very poor states. I don't see how I could make a good living here. Maybe in a couple of parts of Louisiana, but the majority of the state is going down the pipes. That said, I would like to stay in the South/South East.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 628,088 times
I moved from south Louisiana to south Florida and my only regret is that I didn't do it SOONER. I love the Tampa Bay area. there's a lot of negative Nancy's on this board, but most have never had to live in Louisiana.

Almost every thing people in Tampa complain about is actually worse in Louisiana. I recently had a Tampa person ask me why I would move from Louisiania to such a hot humid place that is full of crime. Had to point out that South LA summers are similar and actually slightly worse and that baton rouge and new Orleans both have 5x more murders per capita than Tampa.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM

871 posts, read 551,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFisherman View Post
Would the Tampa area (or towns/suburbs within commute of Tampa) be a good place to live for me?

I'm from a small town in Louisiana. I'm in college with a 4.0 in biology but there's no opportunity here and the state taxes make it worse. I applied at USF and UT and was accepted, among other places.

But overall, is it a good place to live? Being from a small Louisiana town and of Cajun descent, would I be culture shocked? Is Tampa "southern" at all? I'm used to a southern lifestyle.
Judging by your screen name and the fact that you are into biology, I would say Florida probably has a lot of what interests you. We are surrounded by water of all kinds and all sorts of nature. I happen to be a water fanatic and an outdoor enthusiast and I LOVE it here. I can't imagine being anywhere else!

Both of the schools you were accepted to are good places. If you are used to a small town feel and enjoy the water, you may want to look into USF's St. Pete campus. It's much nicer and it is smaller than the Tampa campus. It just lacks a lot of the academic programs. UT is a nice campus as well. It is LOADED with Tampa history and has beautiful grounds right on the Hillsborough River.

Tampa is not "southern". I lived in TN for 4 years, so I kind of get what you are hinting at. Tampa is very culturally eclectic. It has a large Hispanic influence, which I happen to love. (Cuban sandwiches and deviled crabs YUM!) It is also quite transient. We have people here from New York, the Midwest, and the South. It's like a mishmash of folks.

I will say, however, that the people in Tampa are very hospitable. Most that I know are decent folks who enjoy meeting nice people. In general, if you are positive and friendly, you will have folks respond in kind.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I recently had a Tampa person ask me why I would move from Louisiania to such a hot humid place that is full of crime.
I would argue that Louisiana summers are much worse than Tampa ones. I've spent a lot of time in Destin, FL in the summer and it's much more bearable. There's always a cool breeze when you're right on the Gulf and you don't get the same stagnant, hot, humid air that's in Louisiana. There's very few places in LA that's right on the Gulf that you can get to. And Louisiana is rated one of the most crime ridden, impoverished states. I can't believe anyone would say Florida is worse.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Judging by your screen name and the fact that you are into biology, I would say Florida probably has a lot of what interests you. We are surrounded by water of all kinds and all sorts of nature. I happen to be a water fanatic and an outdoor enthusiast and I LOVE it here. I can't imagine being anywhere else!
THAT is what I wanted to hear!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,555,584 times
Tampa Summers ARE A LOT BETTER THAN THE MS/LA SUMMERS. It is not even close!!!

Nice to see FLgirls comments hit something you like. Biology is not the most common job out there. I would suggest looking at NOAA, USAjobs.gov, state/county government websites, etc...

Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM

563 posts, read 403,077 times
Tampa beats SE LA on summer weather, hands down.

We moved from Tampa (well, Wesley Chapel, actually) to New Orleans almost a year ago. The summer temps here in NOLA are higher than Tampa, but as someone previously said, we usually have no breezes like the lovely sea breeze in Tampa. I am NOT looking forward to August in NOLA. LOL

Yes, the crime is much worse in NOLA, but it is subjective as many areas are good, and the only crime I've encountered first hand is petty theft and vandalism. If you're into a certain lifestyle in NOLA, then your odds of experiencing worse crime will skyrocket. But that can be said for anywhere.

Water sports and fishing are hugely popular around Tampa Bay, especially in Pinellas county, so you will be in the right place for that, too.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM

101 posts, read 107,025 times
So I've lived in Pensacola for two years, rural "gulf coast" Florida for six, and St. Pete (Tampa Bay) for a year now. I visited New Orleans a few times when I was at school at UWF in Pensacola, and I couldn't help but think that NOLA (and much of Louisiana) and the Tampa Bay area had quite a bit in common. Here's what I've noticed:

1. A love-hate relationship from the residents. It's the "sibling" paradigm, we can make fun of our city all day long, but you better not make fun of it if you're from somewhere else.

2. Sea-faring culture. Seafood, aquatic and wetland reverence, and a love of pirates. Boating, fishing, sunbathing, tiki bars, fish n chips shacks.

3. In the south, but not "Southern." NOLA/Louisiana has a distinct Cajun/Creole/French infusion into the typical White-Anglo and African American influences present in the rest of the South. Tampa Bay has a Spanish/Cuban and Italian/Northeastern influence. Not saying this in any negative way, but the Catholic culture has a bigger sphere of influence here and in Louisiana than say, Birmingham or Nashville.

4. You have Po Boys, we have Cubans. You have Cajun and Creole, we have Cuban and Floribbean.

5. I noticed you said "Cajun," and "small town." I lived in small town Florida most of my life (and small town upstate New York previous to that). This ties in with point #3, we have a distinct "Tampa" culture, much like New Orleans, Monroe, Lafayette, Shreveport, and Baton Rouge have their own distinct city cultures. While we're much more urban than say, Ocala, Lake City, or Gainesville, FL, we still have respect for our agricultural and rural outlying areas. If you drive a truck in Tampa, it won't be looked downed upon like it may be in places like Seattle, San Fran, or Boston.

6. With a 4.0 GPA in Bio, I'm not sure if you're trying to study biology or medicine. Either way, those are both great sectors in Florida, and you can easily find work here if you know where to look. If you can't find your "dream job" right away, Tampa is a bit more working-class than say Orlando or Miami, so you could find a decent paying industrial job a bit easier. (Just in case you decide that Tampa is a bit too far out of your comfort zone, you should totally check out UWF and Pensacola, it's the best mix of Louisiana and Floridian culture in Florida, and UWF is an amazing school).

I've often told people that Tampa and New Orleans/Louisiana don't belong in the South, they belong (along with Houston, Biloxi, Mobile, and Pensacola) in a Gulf Coast cultural region. I think transplants from any of these cities/regions would find it easier to settle in than if transferring to the South, Appalachia, Texas, the Northeast, etc. Definitely give us a visit, go to a Rays game, have a drink in Ybor City, and go out on the Gulf for a day. You may realize that Tampa Bay is close enough to Louisiana that it could be your home away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay