Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times

Advertisements

Well simply because someone asks where the beach is doesnt mean they are a beach lover. I am sure i asked the same question either here or to neighbors. I mainly wanted to know for when my family came to visit. In the just over 2 years weve lived here, i've gone to the beach once - when my mother came and wanted to go.

Sun and my skin are not friends, my backyard is pretty well covered so we're lucky in that aspect. Although now that my son is getting older and can walk, we may go more this next year for him. Ill be the person covered up under an umbrella (I get bad burns even with 50 SPF lotion if i'm out longer than 2 hours)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
OK! I have to say that it is a contradiction regarding living here...I mean, why move here if you don't like the beach? there are other hot cheap states like Arizona...South Carolina...Texas...which have better economies than Florida, and respectively Tampa for that purpose. I personally cannot fathom living here and not going to the beach, and I don't mean going to the beach to get a tan, cause I am not doing that, but for walks, breeze, calmness, listen to the waves crash (well, the ones that we get, not like Hawaii)...we have the best beaches here ever, with the prettiest sunsets...it is a waste NOT to go! what else do you do then?? we moved here from Orlando mainly because we wanted to be closer to the water... coming from Fort Lauderdale...so, I see no point in living here if not for that! I know someone else who moved here 6 years ago and has never been to the beach which is mind blowing! IMO

I am white as a wall...I never sit directly in the sun, beach or pool, and I never go to the beach to get a tan! on the contrary, I sit under the umbrella, enjoying the kids play, taking a million pictures, wearing a long sleeve white shirt+hat, and then I go later, much later in the evening for sunsets...in no way I could live here and not go to the beach! You'd have to strap me to the floor to stop me, and even then I would chew the strap before I gave up going! LOLOLOLOLOLOL my husband is the one that goes in the water, and swims with the kids...I don't...I just enjoy the scenery and walk by the shore...I have too many electronics on me to get in...hahahaha

Plus, you won't catch me at the beach after 11am, and before 5:30pm...EVER...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Well simply because someone asks where the beach is doesnt mean they are a beach lover. I am sure i asked the same question either here or to neighbors. I mainly wanted to know for when my family came to visit. In the just over 2 years weve lived here, i've gone to the beach once - when my mother came and wanted to go.

Sun and my skin are not friends, my backyard is pretty well covered so we're lucky in that aspect. Although now that my son is getting older and can walk, we may go more this next year for him. Ill be the person covered up under an umbrella (I get bad burns even with 50 SPF lotion if i'm out longer than 2 hours)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
OK! I have to say that it is a contradiction regarding living here...I mean, why move here if you don't like the beach? there are other hot cheap states like Arizona...South Carolina...Texas...which have better economies than Florida, and respectively Tampa for that purpose.

I moved here because my husband is military and they say YOU GO HERE, and we go. I didnt want to come here and it was not remotely on our "requested" list (not that they really pay attention to that anyway)

I'm more of a cold person anyway, our list is made up of northern states with one texas thrown in to be nearer to my husband's family but I'm pretty sure that's the bottom of the list for base of preference.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm telling you, come to the beach at the right time, and it will make your stay here a LOT more bearable!!!

I'm dying to visit the west, but I would hate to live there.

I like to explore different beaches around here, it is really fun, and I have no tan to show for either.

You should come with me sometimes...

Quote:
I moved here because my husband is military and they say YOU GO HERE, and we go. I didnt want to come here and it was not remotely on our "requested" list (not that they really pay attention to that anyway)

I'm more of a cold person anyway, our list is made up of northern states with one texas thrown in to be nearer to my husband's family but I'm pretty sure that's the bottom of the list for base of preference.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I'm telling you, come to the beach at the right time, and it will make your stay here a LOT more bearable!!!

I'm dying to visit the west, but I would hate to live there.

I like to explore different beaches around here, it is really fun, and I have no tan to show for either.

You should come with me sometimes...
I'll wait for it to be a bit more bearable my son JUST started actually enjoying water, which was a HUGE reason we never took him before. We took him when he was 4 months to the st pete beach and he was absolutely terrified of the water.

I'd rather go to anna maria though, that's been one on the list to go to and its just as far for me to go to AM than it is SP.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Take him to Howard Park, the water is like a lake, no waves, and if you get there early its not busy at all especially on a weekday. He'll love sitting by the water there...we went ever since we got back all of June, July, August and the heat did not bother me one bit thanks to going early and the breeze. My little one loves it there.

Quote:
I'll wait for it to be a bit more bearable my son JUST started actually enjoying water, which was a HUGE reason we never took him before. We took him when he was 4 months to the st pete beach and he was absolutely terrified of the water.

I'd rather go to anna maria though, that's been one on the list to go to and its just as far for me to go to AM than it is SP.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

Anna Maria is 100 x better than SP. The beaches on Anna Maria feel a lot more relaxed than say Siesta Beach or the ones on St. Pete. Plus you don't have to feed any meters. There are some neat waterfront restaurants too. The best thing is Anna Maria isn't "built up" with condos and such like so many of the other Florida beaches. It has that "old Florida feel." I recommend you go, before "season". Weather is just starting to get nice now, and it won't be too crowded.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah , my problem is we are sooo not early risers We're normally fully awake maybe about 10am. I think afternoons would work better for us.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM

I agree, i plan on taking a trip there one of these weekends....

[QUOTE=gypsychic;26232051]Anna Maria is 100 x better than SP. The beaches on Anna Maria feel a lot more relaxed than say Siesta Beach or the ones on St. Pete. Plus you don't have to feed any meters. There are some neat waterfront restaurants too. The best thing is Anna Maria isn't "built up" with condos and such like so many of the other Florida beaches. It has that "old Florida feel." I recommend you go, before "season". Weather is just starting to get nice now, and it won't be too crowded.[/quote]

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Taking a trip to the beach from Fishhawk maybe something you'll end up doing a couple of weekends a month,forget the afterwork trip as after working all day then battling rush hour traffic it'll be dark by the time you get there, the commute is normally lots of traffic and once on the St Pete side is non stop traffic lights the rest of the way.
Heres an odd map of Tampa bay Beaches, you'll notice none of them are in Tampa or on the Bay itself..
Beaches in Tampa | Tampa Bay & Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay