Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,175 times

Advertisements

I'm international student from Asia (25 years old)
Yesterday I went to walmart near USF and try to bought some beer
The staff ask me to showed an id but I forgot my passport, so I showed her my driving license
she asked her boss and he said "no". I understand and came back to my room to bring my passport, but when the staff called her boss again and her boss said "why you came back here? if you still stay here I will call the police to arrest you" ??????? I feel very confused about that. I try to ask him why and he said only "no" and I said "that mean all of foreigner can not buy beer in the united states?" and he said "not here!!!"
I feel very angry but I have to left because he said "if you still stay here, I will call the police" I don't want to have a problem in the united states. Actually I have bougt some beer in there many times.
Now I have no idea why that guy speaks to me like I try to steal something????????

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-30-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Welcome to the forum
From the information given the staff was within its rights to ask for ID however when you returned with proper ID the staff didnt need to call the manager at that point,unless theres is a detail missing i can only assume the manager sounds like a rightwing jerk who has told his staff not to serve any one who looks like an illegal,sounds like common courtesy and respect only exist for obvious Americans at that store,And you with an accent was immediately tagged as an illegal, i'd not go back to that store just buy your groceries elsewhere, you might want to send a letter of complaint to the regional Walmart head quarters as this might be a frequent trend from this particular store.
Welcome to America...Before you came to America what were your visions of what it would be like once you got here? now that you've been here a while what do you think?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
The manager probably didn't understand the documentation you were showing him and thought you were trying to buy alcohol illegally.

Just go somewhere and buy it. Problem solved.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
The manager probably didn't understand the documentation you were showing him and thought you were trying to buy alcohol illegally.

Just go somewhere and buy it. Problem solved.
Passport is about as solid an id as you can get however if it was in a language the manager couldnt understand i can see where confusion could arise.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Write up the manager. Go to Walmart website and give them details of the incident. Tell them that you might contact WFLA with your concerns that the store discriminates against their customers and you were not treated properly. To be threatened to be arrested is unbelievable to me.

Last edited by BucFan; 06-30-2012 at 03:06 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
"The Walmart People" strike again!...that guy probably never saw a "passport" in his pathetic life!

Get the store number (as in look at a receipt, or go online and search for locations and find yours), and file a complaint with the upper management, and then BBB. Walmart's around here are THE WORST places to shop for anything. They're disgusting.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-30-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepzoa View Post
Yesterday I went to walmart
That was the mistake. Stay out of Wal-Mart. Their stores are ghetto.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Passport is about as solid an id as you can get however if it was in a language the manager couldnt understand i can see where confusion could arise.
And that is the problem. The most prevalent language a Wal mart manager couldn't understand would be English.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Our daughter had something similar atthe gas station when she was buying sigarettes for someone else who had asked her to buy it and I was waiting in the car.

Keep in mind we don't smoke and already hate to buy them but were doing an adult a favor so that person didn't have to go to the gas station while we were going there anyway.

She had recently turned 18 and had her ID with her. The employee looked at it and stated she wasn't 18 and clearly couldn't do her math. My daughter told her to look at the date of birth that showed her b-day was just days before and not everybody from that year had already turned 18 but she did.

Than my daughter walked over to the car and informed me of what happened and I walked inside with my ID and the employee refused to sell to me and stated I was going to give it to my "under aged" daughter. This pissed me off and I told her that i would call the cops or she could get her manager because i didn't wanted to be accused of doing anything illegal just because she couldn't count and do the math.

The manager came and appologized for the inconvenience and sold us the sigarettes and that was the last time we bought sigarettes for someone else BUT that was actually not the issue...

Just that stupid uneducated employee that couldn't do the math!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
You really can't get to upset at the cashiers. The police handpick and hire 16 year olds that are 6'2 and look easily like they're 23, and after the OP's post, I suspect they'll occasionally use foreigners for sting operations as well. I can't blame the cashiers as anything even remotely suspicious could land them a notice to appear of handcuffs for a misdemeanor plus a criminal record over what.....$8 an hour job. I'd just say ok and go down the street to the next store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay