Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

$15 to mow grass? Shameful! After drive time, gas, labor, and taxes, the poor slob only pockets $3-4 for that work. Yard men in Tampa average $25-30 per hr. because that's what it costs. Give the guy his due!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinthb View Post
$15 to mow grass? Shameful! After drive time, gas, labor, and taxes, the poor slob only pockets $3-4 for that work. Yard men in Tampa average $25-30 per hr. because that's what it costs. Give the guy his due!!!
Shameful is right! I pay the neighbor kid more than that just to mow the right of way!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM

657 posts, read 695,109 times
Think the issue may be from the fact that Florida as a whole is a retirement state. People go there to retire and when you retire you learn to be frugal and spend the least you can.

I'm thinking there are oppurtunities everywhere, you just have to adjust to the situation. If live throws lemon at you, you have to learn to make lemonade.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Without a college degree, working for someone else, the most people around here can seem to make is $12 to maybe $15 dollars per hour......maybe. That wage will also stagnate......that's what you will be making in 10 years.
I chuckled a little when I read this part of your post D-R-B...

I don't live in the Tampa area anymore, but I still talk to most of my friends from high school. The ones that still live in Tampa (high school as well as college educated) work at retail and fast food places. The only ones that I personally know that make the $12-$15/hr or higher wages either work as firefighters or for the Sheriff's Office. The only one that I know has made a success of herself is actually a stripper at Deja Vu on Adamo Drive.. LoL

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM

657 posts, read 695,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

I don't live in the Tampa area anymore, but I still talk to most of my friends from high school. The ones that still live in Tampa (high school as well as college educated) work at retail and fast food places. The only ones that I personally know that make the $12-$15/hr or higher wages either work as firefighters or for the Sheriff's Office. The only one that I know has made a success of herself is actually a stripper at Deja Vu on Adamo Drive.. LoL
Do you mind sharing what average folks make in Houston, where you are?

Per city data, median household income is about the same at 42k with home prices fairing higher in tampa. Also interesting that per capita income is 25k in houston and 26k in tampa. Your situation may be unique, not in general.

I have friends in Tampa, all professionals, making excellent incomes well above the 42k level.

Last edited by SarasotaBound1; 12-09-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post

Per city data, median household income is about the same at 42k with home prices fairing higher in tampa. Also interesting that per capita income is 25k in houston and 26k in tampa. Your situation may be unique, not in general.

I have friends in Tampa, all professionals, making excellent incomes well above the 42k level.
This ^^^. My husband and all his friends have EXCELLENT jobs in Tampa, making far, far above 42k. Situations are definitely unique, depends on skillset, attitude, experience, etc. There are a lot of people who have relocated to the Tampa area and gotten good jobs, some even better than whatever city/state they left. One size does not fit all....

Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post

Comparing Houston with Tampa is apples and oranges.

For starters, Tampa has a population of around 346,000. Houston has a population of 2.2 million. Using a more reliable source (US Census) Tampa has a median household income of $43,957. Houston has a median income of $44,124. However, and this is where the numbers are amazingly skewed...

Hillsborough County (FL) has a population of 1,267,775 and Harris County (TX) has a population of 4.2 million. There's no way to determine actual averages because you could have a population in Tampa where half the people make high salaries, while the other half make minimum wage, where as in Houston, you have a lot more people making a living wage.

The biggest skew of the comparison is when you compare the metro areas. Tampa makes up only a small part of Hillsborough County, whereas Houston not only takes up most of Harris County, but also spills into surrounding counties.

The following are the median household incomes of the counties that make up each metro area..

Hillsborough County (FL) - $50,195
Pinellas County (FL) - $45,891
Sarasota County (FL) - $49,212
Polk County (FL) - $44,398
Pasco County (FL) - $44,103

Harris County (TX) - $52,675
Montgomery County (TX) - $66,657
Fort Bend County (TX) - $87,571
Galveston County (TX) - $59,645
Chambers County (TX) - $72,850

The numbers don't lie.

State and County QuickFacts

Last edited by TXRyan23; 12-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add Hillsborough & Harris County to the bottom numbers...

Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Seems to me that you grew up with a bunch of under achievers who still havent found their path in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Seems to me that you grew up with a bunch of under achievers who still havent found their path in life.
Seems to me that it's a problem that apparently runs rampant across the entire state...

Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Nobody I know is making less than $35k a year here in FL. I know their kids are working fast food and that type of stuff earning 8-10 an hour. I think that a lot of people who frequent this board would have a hard time in any job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^^. My husband and all his friends have EXCELLENT jobs in Tampa, making far, far above 42k. Situations are definitely unique, depends on skillset, attitude, experience, etc. There are a lot of people who have relocated to the Tampa area and gotten good jobs, some even better than whatever city/state they left. One size does not fit all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay