U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 4,430 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is there anyone here who can possibly help me with a lost dog that I found? I found him last night and took him in. I posted ads on Craigslist and on the "found dog" section of the Animal Services website. He has no tags on his collar and no microchip. None of my neighbors recognize him either. Normally I would keep him until I find his owners or a good new home for him... but my problem is that I have 2 dogs already. And one of my dogs HATES him. Since last night, my dog has attacked him twice, completely out of nowhere. I have never seen my dog act like this, he's always been around other dogs and has never had any problems. I thought one of them was going to get seriously hurt or even killed. My dogs are stuck in the bedroom now so they can't hurt him.

I don't know what to do with him if I can't find his owners. I can't keep my dogs locked in the bedroom forever. Oh, not to mention I live in an apartment and I'm not allowed to have 3 dogs anyways. The Humane Society won't take him and the SPCA says they only take severely injured strays. Their websites say strays should be taken to the Animal Services place. I don't want to take him there because there's a chance of him being put to sleep. He's a really nice dog and I just want to help him, but I don't know what to do if I can't find his owners. I don't know anyone who wants a dog. Sorry this post is so long, I guess what I'm asking is can anyone possibly take this dog from me?

I'm near the New Tampa area if anyone can help.. pictures can be seen on my Craigslist post: Found Catahoula-type dog

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,590 posts, read 3,698,925 times
Sign up on your local Freecycle list and see if anyone there would consider taking him.

Otherwise, your only real option is Animal Services. Do be aware that they are desperately trying to become a "no kill" shelter, but it's going to take some time before they achieve this.

You might want to call and talk to them first. If the dog is socialized they will have a good chance of placing it. You might also search the Web for any dog or breed specific rescue organizations in the area. I know they exist.

RM

Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Thank you very much, I will give those suggestions a try.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM

477 posts, read 1,243,807 times
Do you know what breed he is? If you can pinpoint a breed, I would contact a breed rescue, many times they have people willing to foster these dogs. I would also post him under pets if you haven't already, I see several postings from people who are looking for lost dogs, maybe they are searching there instead of lost and found?

I'm trying to figure out what breed of dog he might be, but he seems to be a mutt. He is cute though!

Another idea is to maybe bring a flyer with these pics to any local animal hospitals or vet offices, maybe someone will recognize this dog, as well as putting up a flyer in the lobby of the apartment complex or around somewhere. If he was found in the complex maybe someone who lives there lost him?

Last edited by nycgirl1616; 07-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: edited to add info

Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,261,346 times
please look on facebook for a rescue. there are TONS of facebook pages helping animals. giving away a dog for free is NOT a good option. too many abusers. a vet can scan the dog for a microchip.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM

451 posts, read 815,256 times
As noted in your ad, that appears to be a Catahoula Leopard Hound. I would suggest contacting either of the Catahoula Rescue contacts for Florida:
Rescue Contacts

If you don't have any luck there, I might be able to find you a temporary foster parent. Any idea of the age/weight? Was this dog aggressive toward your dogs, or was it the other way around?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I have called a couple local rescues, but they all referred me to Animal Services. I have e-mailed a few others that I couldn't reach by phone, maybe they will be able to help. I have posted him on a couple of Facebook rescue pages including the Catahoula Rescue's Facebook, no luck yet but I'll keep trying on some other pages. I am going to print some flyers and stick them on street signs & around the apartment complex. The vet did scan him for a microchip, but he does not have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
If you don't have any luck there, I might be able to find you a temporary foster parent. Any idea of the age/weight? Was this dog aggressive toward your dogs, or was it the other way around?
He seems quite young, maybe about a year or so. I would guess maybe around 40 pounds.. he is tall but pretty slender. He was not aggressive toward my dogs at all. He will be standing there minding his own business, and they attack him out of nowhere. I don't know what is going on with them. They have been socialized around many different dogs, and I have brought home strays before with absolutely no problems. I kept the last stray I found for like 3 months before I found a home for her & never had a problem.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Shoot me a private message if you don't hear back from anyone in a day or two. I have a friend who has fostered a few Catahoula puppies and was involved in their ultimate adoption. I'll talk to her and see if she has any leads, or perhaps personal interest in fostering this dog if the only option is Animal Services.

Good luck, I'll see if there's anything I can do to help!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Oh, and as for your dogs' strange aggression-- it could be that this dog is not well-socialized. It may not even have a hint of aggression, but it may not have learned necessary social cues as a puppy. It could be innocently acting in a way that signals aggression toward your dogs even though it is not intending to do so.

At least that is what my wife would say, she's a trainer and "furry family counselor".

Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Thank you! I will message you if I haven't found his owners or someone to take him in the next couple of days. I'm worried that the management people at my apartment will notice I have a 3rd dog and give me 24 hours to get him out. Hopefully I can get away with this for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay