Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM

20 posts, read 22,926 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hi to all, we are relocating to Tampa Fl. and need some advice. We are a family of 2 adults to children age 6 and 12. Will be working in the 3800 Citibank Center. Our most important issue is the schools for the children. So we were thinking about finding a public school first then finding a place to live within 20 min. commute to work. About the housing, our plan is to rent for at least 1 year, then move on to buy a house. I’m taking my car with me so transportation is not an issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. … Mike[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
You cannot be within 20 minutes of a public school here. Only private. Public schools have boundaries. Look at greatschools.net to get ratings, and see their websites for boundary maps.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Algia, Thanks for your reply. What I tried to comment was on my commute from home to work sorry if I was not clear. I do not know if this is possible in Tampa. I'm completely clueless about the city and it is becoming very stressful.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
I'm pretty sure she was referring to the commute to work. Lucky for you your job is in a great area not close to downtown Tampa but to interstate 75. You could look at communities in river view, Brandon, new Tampa, lithia fish hawk ranch, and Bloomingdale. All of these are nice communites within a 10 - 25 drive to work. The school in these areas are all pretty good but if you want the best of the best lithia schools are the top rated in the county. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Ok.

Your best bet is Brandon, or maybe Valrico. Fish Hawk is 30 minutes away from your work, and traffic can be horrible that way. As you can see on the first map, Brandon is "the" closest.

"A" on the map is your work. "B" is Fishhawk Ranch. There are good schools in Both Brandon and Valrico...and of course Fishhawk...you'll just have to increase the commute time for Fishhawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik00725 View Post
Algia, Thanks for your reply. What I tried to comment was on my commute from home to work sorry if I was not clear. I do not know if this is possible in Tampa. I'm completely clueless about the city and it is becoming very stressful.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
The commute to downtown via the Selmon express lanes from Bloomingdale is under 30 minutes.

Bloomingdale East is far more affordable than Fishhawk and doesn't have the issues related to traffic. Not to mention there are two highly rated schools (Cimino and Alafia, Alafia being one of the longest rated "A" schools in the state) and a YMCA in the neighborhood.

And Bloomingdale East has a wide range of homes and prices, without the CDD costs you'll pay in Fishhawk.

I'm not down on Fishhawk (in fact, I like it) but you pay a price (literally) for living there.

RM

Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks a lot about your feedback. You don't know how much it means to me since Im in the dark right now. I've been told Ill move in the next 30 days, so you must imagine my stress level are going way up. I have heard a lot from the Brandon area, Riverside, and Temple Terrace how about there? Algia thanks a lot for your input greatly appreciated

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM

You're welcome!

I think the best thing is to go with Brandon since it is the closest to your work, and after you get down here, and have a few days off you can explore other areas. Like you said, this is stresfull enough as it is, so there is no need to add more areas into the mix. If you go by greatschools ratings you will be in a good area, and then you can explore other communities in peace.

You will also have the opportunity to evaluate traffic patterns a lot better being here.

Temple Terrace is "ehh"! IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik00725 View Post
Thanks a lot about your feedback. You don't know how much it means to me since Im in the dark right now. I've been told Ill move in the next 30 days, so you must imagine my stress level are going way up. I have heard a lot from the Brandon area, Riverside, and Temple Terrace how about there? Algia thanks a lot for your input greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay