Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,275,174 times

Advertisements

We had a Fish Oil accident in my car...spilled all over the back seat carpet..I used Fabreeze, Lysol, and cleaned with vinegar but it still STINKS!

What cleans this up? and where can I buy it? I am out of options...and definitely cannot replace that carpet. Which store caries anything that kills this smell? or do I have to take it to get detailed? and where do I do that, as I never had to do that before!

Help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM

30,295 posts, read 21,065,042 times
Buying a new car would be the best route.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Buying a new car would be the best route.
That's funny! & not possible in this lifetime.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,598,274 times
I don't know who could clean it for you, but you could try lemon juice. You have to use fresh lemon juice and mix with equal parts water. It's supposed to neutralize the fish smell.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM

Well, I have the clothes that got that on them soaking in lemon juice in the washing machine....But what does a detailer do? when do you take the car to a detailer? and what is that for? shouldn't they be able to figure this out? Just curious. I see "detailing" advertised around Tampa, but the only reason I am asking you guys here is because I am trying to avoid being ripped off $$$$ if I tell them what the issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I don't know who could clean it for you, but you could try lemon juice. You have to use fresh lemon juice and mix with equal parts water. It's supposed to neutralize the fish smell.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 PM

83 posts, read 141,079 times
This might take a professional detailer. Google ones near you, find some with good reputations, and make some phone calls. You will want someone who knows about cleaners- enzymatic and degreasers in your case specifically. ( since it is an oil, normal cleaning products that will clean blood, pee, poop, vomit will not work well. You will need more of an oil based cleaner- something that gets out gas spills, etc. maybe a detergent too.) but this is a pro job. If you had removable carpets, pull them out and get new ones online ( not too expensive usually.) you will need someone to really deep steam clean it. You should be able to find done one to help you for less than 40 or 50 bucks. Then they could even run an ozone machine to wipe out the smell after it is cleaned and gone (but don't do this too often since it can corrode the interior.)

Good luck! Car smells suck. I know this since a RAT (disease carrying rodent) moved into my car (my nice car!!!) and tore it to shreds inside, crapping and peeing everywhere. 8 weeks later, it still is finding its way into my car once a week or so. Exterminators can't catch it. It has been horrible. Finally filed for indsurance to repair the damages, then i have to sell it since the dealership has told me there is no way they can prevent it from getting back into the Ac system if it wants to. So I feel for you.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,189,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well, I have the clothes that got that on them soaking in lemon juice in the washing machine....But what does a detailer do? when do you take the car to a detailer? and what is that for? shouldn't they be able to figure this out? Just curious. I see "detailing" advertised around Tampa, but the only reason I am asking you guys here is because I am trying to avoid being ripped off $$$$ if I tell them what the issue is.
car detailing is expensive, in the order of $150 to $200. That's why I do mine and my wife cars as exercise (why pay for a gym membership while I can burn lots of calories ) even though not to the quality of a professional.

what do they do?

1) They wash car body
2) Use a clay bar to take all small impurities from surface
3) Work on the headlights and other plastic material using specific material for them
4) work on the glasses.
5) Wax and brighten it. After wax you need to leave it for at least 30 minutes.
6) Work on the wheels again using product for to wash and remove all those dirts and then polish.
7) work the inside. If leather, apply material for leather. Otherwise all the interior will be cleaned.
8) Vacume and clean floor mat and carpet.

After 2 hours, I never finish doing all this on the same day. I normally leave one or two for next day. But those professional do it much better and faster. People think 150 or 200 is a lot but when you start to do it yourself, you will see how hard the work is.

I am assuming it is the carpet not the floor mat, right? If that is the case,a product that is accessible to a detailer is accessible to you too. Go to a car shope and ask what you can use. If it the floor mat, I would buy a new one. I was shocked to learn how brand new (a set of four) floor mats from the dealer (with the car logo) costs for my car.

There is an auto forum here. I would post it there too. Somebody may point you to a specific product.

Good luck and please update us how you end up solving this problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:06 PM

OK! This took the smell out: "Amonia" with lemon smell....PLEASE DON'T SMELL THIS WITH YOUR NOSE...IT STINKS!

But it worked.

Thank you MeInDenudinFL for explaining that, I may actually need to get that done at one point or another because my headlights are starting to have that fog inside...does that come off? I remember seeing something on an infomercial but can't remember the name that took that off...what is that anyway? what kind of build up is that?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,189,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
OK! This took the smell out: "Amonia" with lemon smell....PLEASE DON'T SMELL THIS WITH YOUR NOSE...IT STINKS!

But it worked.

Thank you MeInDenudinFL for explaining that, I may actually need to get that done at one point or another because my headlights are starting to have that fog inside...does that come off? I remember seeing something on an infomercial but can't remember the name that took that off...what is that anyway? what kind of build up is that?
Yes, there is a product for that, less than $10. Even walmart has it in their car section. Depending on how bad is your headlight you can buy one for heavy duty or just a regular one.

Glad that at least you tackle the smell.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Phew me too!!!

I will look for it then...would every walmart have it? Or more like the super centers? Its not bad, but it is in the upper right corner of the front lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Yes, there is a product for that, less than $10. Even walmart has it in their car section. Depending on how bad is your headlight you can buy one for heavy duty or just a regular one.

Glad that at least you tackle the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: