U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM

226 posts, read 275,316 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah...not in Pinellas, but I remember the days in elementary here in GA where they did the whole 'mix and disperse' I protested and labeled most everythign I could. I'm sorry, not paying for anyones supplies. I have been a single mother since my kids were 2 and 4. I received a VERY little amount of csupport and there were thousands in arrears I never bothered with. For a few years I made JUST above the limit for assistance which I did not want anyway. I have in fact never been on assistance, reduced lunches, etc...I've worked my butt off and 16rs now in the same career I do well.

I always scrounged to buy my kids supplies as I could. Here I was struggling to eat and pay all my bills and the school was wanting ME to help provide for others that sat on their asses lol. Ummm. NOPE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,791,006 times
Well, I called and it was NOT a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They really want 24 glue sticks per child.

I think I am going to label their stuff too! Cause we're not made out of money either!

You're welcome Maggie! Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
That must have been a typo.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM

226 posts, read 275,316 times
Algia...I wouldn't send all that glue in...there is NO way ONE child needs 24 glues of stick. That is the old 'disperse' trick. You can send in your kid with what they need, a COUPLE extras as donation if you WANT to LABEL your childs.

They're counting on people like you and others to purchase all those sticks and then the parents that do NOT provide for their kids are counting on YOUR glue sticks.

Let me assure you there are resources out there-at least here in GA and I'm sure FL also. I have a friend that is low income and very resourceful-she found 2-3 counties/areas willing to give out FREE supplies if you got up early enough, had someone drive you if you didn't have a car etc...all of which she did and found supplies for her kids. I will not be funding pure laziness in addition to the entitlement generation. I'd tell the school if they can provid you a list of WHY your kid woudl need that amount of glue you will be happy to review and consider-otherwise I wouldn't and I would tell them why also.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,903,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Yes! It used to be so much easier. And cheaper!

One of the schools put their list up on their website today (that covers two of my kids), one gave me a list over the phone (apparently they aren't around on Fridays), and the other two also answered the phone and said lists would be given out the first day of school! (Ugh)

I managed to cover most of the lists that I was given today thanks to Algia's lists yesterday (thank you, again!) and I'm hoping the ones that come out the first day of school will be mostly taken care of as well.

This whole thing is FAR more complicated than it needs to be!
I think all school PTA's are missing out on a good fundraising opportunity. PTA could buy this stuff in bulk at a discount and sell it to parents. Imagine if on the last day of school you got a slip from the PTA where you could simply give them $40 - $50 (whatever the cost) and your kids school supplies would be in their classroom next year when they came to class. You wouldn't have to shop. More Kids would have the correct supplies, etc, etc. I would've gladly paid a $10 premium above what I paid for school supplies to have it all done and ready, sitting in class for them. Much rather 'donate' by paying for convenience than being guilted into buying $15 cookie dough that I don't need during the holidays....

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well, I called and it was NOT a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They really want 24 glue sticks per child.

I think I am going to label their stuff too! Cause we're not made out of money either!

You're welcome Maggie! Anytime.
Careful... some lists say DO NOT LABEL ITEMS. DW and I laughed... looked at each other and laughed some more.... while taking the cap off the Sharpie.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,791,006 times
I will propose this as soon as I can get a hold of the PTA "chief"! LoL

Well....i am not going to mark 24 glue sticks because my hand's going to fall off! Hahahahahahha

Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 AM

4,827 posts, read 3,487,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I think all school PTA's are missing out on a good fundraising opportunity. PTA could buy this stuff in bulk at a discount and sell it to parents. Imagine if on the last day of school you got a slip from the PTA where you could simply give them $40 - $50 (whatever the cost) and your kids school supplies would be in their classroom next year when they came to class. You wouldn't have to shop. More Kids would have the correct supplies, etc, etc. I would've gladly paid a $10 premium above what I paid for school supplies to have it all done and ready, sitting in class for them. Much rather 'donate' by paying for convenience than being guilted into buying $15 cookie dough that I don't need during the holidays....

Careful... some lists say DO NOT LABEL ITEMS. DW and I laughed... looked at each other and laughed some more.... while taking the cap off the Sharpie.
Both of my kids schools do this, its done through edukit, edukitinc.com. they have all the lists you buy the list and it gets delivered to the school or your house.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,903,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Both of my kids schools do this, its done through edukit, edukitinc.com. they have all the lists you buy the list and it gets delivered to the school or your house.

I knew it was a brilliant idea. Yep.... my kids school is NOT on it. I would present this to the PTA... but then I'll probably have to own it while some lady takes all the credit for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or