U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 64,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If proximity to beaches are a consideration you may want to focus on the western parts of St Pete rather than Tampa as Tampa has no beaches.

Thank you. This is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM

84 posts, read 185,905 times
Default hey hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm12 View Post
My daughter is graduating high school in May 2013 and I'm looking to relocate after she goes off to college. The Tampa Bay area is one of the cities on my list. Currently we live in the suburbs of Atlanta (because the schools are better) but I'm open to living in the downtown town area. I would be working from home so commute is not a consideration. I would like to live somewhere safe. An area where there are other "mature" adults (30-40 something crowd).

I'd like to be close to the beach but that's not a deal breaker.

I would like to rent the first year that I'm there and I will consider purchasing a home after I become more familiar with the city.

I need three bedrooms or a two bedroom with an office.

I don't go to clubs, so night life isn't important.

What are some areas to check out? What are the areas to stay away from?

I appreciate your feedback.

Here are pros and cons I copied from another thread:

Tampa

*Lower cost of living than Miami
*Lots more places to rent than miami, there are many more apartments and homes to rent in tampa than miami and theyre definitely cheaper than miami
*Less crime than Miami
*If you are white you are not a minority in tampa unlike miami
*Quiet, slower paced lifestyle -this could be a con depending on what you like
*People are less aggressive and much friendlier than miami
*Most days in the summer the temperature doesn't get higher than 89 degrees
*Lots of "natural" beauty, pine trees, forests, cattle, horses, even some ranches
*possibly more jobs than miami depending on what you do
*Drivers aren't as bad as miami, but still not excellent, you'll see a lot of umm "crushed" cars driving around with dents and bumps in various spots but still not as angry and aggressive as miami drivers
*Lots of golf courses if you like that kind of thing
*Has a seminole hard rock just like the one in hollywood, fl8
*Has a colder and longer winter...depending on what you like this can be a con
*Peninsula next to clearwater is gorgeous especially when you see it for the first time, it has a hawaii island vibe that is very appealing, if you visit tampa definitely drive to clearwater beach, indian rocks beach and all the way down to treasure island and st. pete beach its a very pretty drive

Cons:
*Tampa is known as lightning city..wanna guess why? Lots of rain and lightning I personally love both so doesnt bother me but I think for most people this is a con
*The population from my observation consists more of older people than miami, lots of Q-tips
*Little to no nightlife compared to miami/south beach, a lot of people will tell you to go to hyde park The Hyde Park Cafe - Providing the Best Nightlife in Tampa Bay heres the link...they have a gallery where you can see pictures of the type of crowd that hangs out there, you might like it
*Quiet slower paced lifestyle I put this in pro and con because depending on how you feel it could be either one, and the slower paced lifestyle affects all things from how many bars there are to how many malls there are, just to give you an idea Tampa does not have a Costco you have to go all the way to clearwater just to get to a costco and imho tampa only has one mall that is worth going to its called the International plaza
*LOTS OF TOURISTS all year round and although most of the tourists visit and stay near clearwater, a lot of tourists stay in tampa and its just annoying, and tampa attracts a lot of older, retirees as a vacation spot so its not like miami where you get hot sexy 20 yr olds from san diego coming down for spring break its almost always 40yrs old+ people and families coming from states like North carolina, ohio, texas and virginia in their SUVs, it gets annoying after awhile -there are a lot of good opinions on this website as to why tampa attracts mostly older retirees as tourists and the main point that everyone agrees on is this "Miami is a little much for older people who want to bask in the nice weather and just golf or check out Spring Training, and also a bit much for underage kids who do want to go to Orlando. Miami is more for single 20-30 somethings, and better if you are well off financially than not. Tampa is cheaper and has less crime, and is a less socially and racially stratified place than Miami."
*Some people who move from miami to tampa complain all day that the city is dead and there is nothing to do
*No beach...well the only beach worth going to is in clearwater and imo its not as great as fort lauderdale beach, miami beach, palm beach etc but thats my opinion, clearwater beach is quite pretty when you're going over the bridge to get to it the view is fantastic it was breathtaking the first time I saw it
*Lots of people on here who moved to Tampa from more developed cities such as LA, NY or SD complain that some of the people in tampa are too "redneck" and hillbilly, and in some areas of tampa and clearwater it is true, think lots of bumper stickers on 1 out of every 10 cars, some cars even have 10 or more bumper stickers, I remember one that read "My other car is a broom" possible Harry potter joke? idk (a lot of people here make jokes about people in certain areas of pinellas and pasco county marrying their cousins and only going as high as the 7th grade etc theyre definitely exaggerating but there are more "rednecks" in tampa than miami, this isnt meant to offend anyone, just look at all of the threads on here Im not making it up)
*Lots of trailer parks, funny thing is some of them are gated communities
*SINKHOLES, miami has hurricanes well so does tampa but also SINKHOLES
*Tampa was voted one of the worst dressed cities not that long ago which only matters if you care about flashy or fashionable clothes, if not then you can walk out the door in the shirt you slept in, some shorts and flip flops, run all the errands you want and no one would bat an eye
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is useful

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 AM

662 posts, read 937,903 times
If you want 30-40's age group, I would suggest st Pete. I lived in SOHO. Mostly 20 and 30 old yuppies, that try to act like they have the world by the balls, but in reality don't have a pot to ***** in.
Downt town st Pete is a much nicer, more diverse crowd. Ask anyone that has lived in Tampa bay for any length of time, they'll tell you Downtown St Pete,blows Tampa's downtown away.

St Pete is also a 10 minute drive to the beach, Tampa is about 40 minutes

Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,497,738 times
I think near to downtown St Pete too - not St Pete Beach which is different location.

For anyone moving for schools I would say unless they are going private avoid st Pete as public schools are highly sought after - but if children are going for IB programe then St Pete High is great. For the poster who is looking for schools, they are looking right areas - north county, East Lakeand Palm Harbor High zones.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM

155 posts, read 381,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If proximity to beaches are a consideration you may want to focus on the western parts of St Pete rather than Tampa as Tampa has no beaches.
Where did that map come from? Rattlesnake is a ghost town that hasn't existed since the 1950s!

Rattlesnake - Ghost Town

Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm12 View Post
...I'm open to living in the downtown town area. I would be working from home so commute is not a consideration. I would like to live somewhere safe. An area where there are other "mature" adults (30-40 something crowd). ... I'd like to be close to the beach but that's not a deal breaker. ... I don't go to clubs, so night life isn't important.
It's hard to give a recommendation with only this to go on. Bear in mind, the Tampa Bay area is a big area with pretty extreme neighborhood diversity. A few follow-ups:

1. When you buy, what's your price range?
2. You're open to living in a downtown, but is that what you'd prefer? Do you want to be able to walk (or bike) to restaurants/bars/concerts, etc., or would you prefer to drive? If drive, how far is OK? And I know that safety is important, but are you OK with normal city petty theft (e.g., having to lock your car doors at night)?
3. How important is water access? How long a drive to the beach is OK? 10 minutes? 45 minutes? Would the bay be an OK substitute?
4. In a later post, you say you visited Tampa as a tourist. I'm assuming you want to re-create that to some extent, but do you mean Tampa proper or were you at the beach? If the beach, which beach?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM

82 posts, read 178,978 times
FWIW, If I were in your shoes I'd look into Dunedin. I have been doing ludicrous research since I am relocating as well, and while I have a family and will not be looking for the same things as you, it seems like it is a good fit from what I've read. A little more laid back than the "city" with a nice downtown and still close to everything. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or