Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times

Advertisements

Which store in Tampa might have some bug poison that is not stinky spray? the guy at home depot didn't help.

How many of you have used boric acid and HOW? where do you buy that from?

Here's what happened to us last night:

I fell asleep around 9pm, and then I was woken up by the house alarm motion sensor beeping like crazy (again, for no apparent reason) around 11:30pm.....went to turn it off, took something for my heartburn pain of eating too late again, and then I started trying to re-arrange my pillows so I can go back to bed.

Nothing out of the ordinary so far.

HOWEVER..................As I was arranging my pillows, I notice something black moving on one of the trays we use as nightstands...and not having my glasses on, I couldn't see what the hell it was.....so I put my glasses on, and sure enough IT IS MY WORST NIGHTMARE!

A HUGE PALMETTO BUG...STARRING AT ME! Literally, it was STARRING AT ME! That freaked the crap out of me...these bugs are HUGE, and can fly! I haven't seen one this close in 10 years. (We do have pest control too, so I don't know where this jerk came from to torment me).

I slowly got out of bed, sweating like a pig in utter FEAR, and I went to get my husband, who happened to wake up for something too...so he comes in and FREAKS OUT at the SIZE of this beast....Neither one of us had any shoes handy, and that damn roach started feeling cornered, all though I was on top of the sink in the bathroom at this point....trying to not scream, and wake the kids up too! (all though on a second thought, I should have gotten my son up, because he likes to kill these bugs more than any of us) So my husband sneaks in the closet, and picks up a shoe, and tries to hit the bastard...and the bastard disappears...BUT....there is NO BODY TO BE FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We looked all over the room....and the thing VANISHED! We spend an hour looking for it, and NOTHING. We took the pillows out of their cases, moved the bed around, looked under the mattress, and NOTHING. Where the hell did it go?

Of course now, not having a body to rest assured that I will not be swallowing it after falling asleep again, I could not go back to sleep in there, and went on the couch...but by this time, I am so freaked out, that I couldn't close one eye for the next 5 hours! I am so tired right now...but I am literally afraid to go in there; I feel like I want to sleep on the fan, far, far away from the floors.

We need to find that body before I can sleep in there again!

How do we find it? where could it be? is there some poison that can make it appear again so we can kill it and throw it away?

I need HELP PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
ahhh paradise i'll assume as you have pest control company this guy is probably a one off,as they are kinda hard to kill he probably scurried under a base board or a crack somewhere, he may or maynot come back but i would call the bug company to have them check it out..
Gee bugs so big they set of Motion detectors..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM

50,265 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Those have an interesting defense sometimes. They will fly at you. They can't bite or sting so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
When you use boric acid, you'll have to sprinkle it around basboards, window sills and behind appliances. It's not very toxic to humans (in small amounts) but you should still cover your mouth and nose when using it. Remember where you sprinkle it and let it sit for several weeks if you can. We used to have a silverfish problem on one of the properties and it worked like a charm. Within days, we saw dried silverfish exoskeletons in the corners of the some of the rooms. It's gross and I'm eeked out by palmetto bugs so hopefully this will help. I also understand that they live in mulch. If you have any near your home, maybe it's time to clear it out or turn it over with fresh mulch.

I haven't had a need to purchase it in a while but I was amazed to find huge bottles at the Dollar Store a few years ago. You can still find them at any store on the pesticide shelf.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
I keep a hand vacuum in the bedroom and the vacuum itself is in the center dining room (which is within feet of the living room, kitchen, and hallways. That way at any time i can suck one up in the vacuum

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Ok.

What do u use to spread the boric acid? A cloth, brush, small hose? I have small kids so I have to be extra careful.

Rez....but if you suck it up in the vacuum without it beind dead, won't it just crawl right out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
When you use boric acid, you'll have to sprinkle it around basboards, window sills and behind appliances. It's not very toxic to humans (in small amounts) but you should still cover your mouth and nose when using it. Remember where you sprinkle it and let it sit for several weeks if you can. We used to have a silverfish problem on one of the properties and it worked like a charm. Within days, we saw dried silverfish exoskeletons in the corners of the some of the rooms. It's gross and I'm eeked out by palmetto bugs so hopefully this will help. I also understand that they live in mulch. If you have any near your home, maybe it's time to clear it out or turn it over with fresh mulch.

I haven't had a need to purchase it in a while but I was amazed to find huge bottles at the Dollar Store a few years ago. You can still find them at any store on the pesticide shelf.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM

329 posts, read 774,991 times
i have used a plastic condiment bottle, works ok

Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM

LOL!

No, no this alarm does this out of the blue all the time, I need to have it checked.
Yeah, i'll have to call them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
ahhh paradise i'll assume as you have pest control company this guy is probably a one off,as they are kinda hard to kill he probably scurried under a base board or a crack somewhere, he may or maynot come back but i would call the bug company to have them check it out..
Gee bugs so big they set of Motion detectors..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
i have used a plastic condiment bottle, works ok

Is this powder or liquid? I thought it was liquid.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:31 PM

329 posts, read 774,991 times
powder, as 777 says use a mask or bandana over your nose and mouth

Last edited by newguy101; 08-09-2012 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: