U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,254,872 times

Advertisements

Very interesting... may have a job opportunity back in FL with old employer... St Pete area to be exact... We are contemplating the move.

Please tell me the good. the bad and the ugly.

Looking for info on schools for little ones, crime, I know traffic probably sucks, I know the beaches are beautiful.

Being a FL native, surprisingly, I dont know a lot about St Pete. In fact I've only been there a couple times that I can remember.

PS- I know I put this in the general FL forum and not in teh St Pete forum. I want to hear from some of my city-data friends who may know about St Pete. I don't really know many folks on the Tampa/St Pete forums. Thank you mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Very interesting... may have a job opportunity back in FL with old employer... St Pete area to be exact... We are contemplating the move.

Looking for info on schools for little ones, crime, I know traffic probably sucks, I know the beaches are beautiful.

Being a FL native, surprisingly, I dont know a lot about St Pete. In fact I've only been there a couple times that I can remember.

PS- I know I put this in the general FL forum and not in teh St Pete forum. I want to hear from some of my city-data friends who may know about St Pete. I don't really know many folks on the Tampa/St Pete forums. Thank you mods.
As you know, I don't live in St. Pete but visit often, and my hubby works in Tampa.

The good -

Overall, St. Pete is a very affordable city. It has a beautiful, bustling renovated downtown, with something like 9 miles of continuous waterfront parks to enjoy. Lots of museums, restaurants and other neat things to see and do down there. St. Pete has a lot of wonderful parks, and of course gorgeous beaches.

The bad -

St. Pete does have an extremely high crime rate, most crime happening in the midtown area south of downtown. And in general, the schools are not the best. The best neighborhoods are the old NE and north of there, or else west going toward the beaches. Those neighborhoods will cost you.

Do you know where your job will be located? If so, you might want to post in the Tampa/St. Pete forum so people can recommend the best school district. At any rate, as you well know, being in the right neighborhood can make all the difference in your quality of life no matter where you live. St. Pete is like most other larger cities in Florida, it has pluses and minuses, great neighborhoods and ghettoes.

Good luck to you! I personally love St. Pete, especially the areas around downtown and the old Northeast.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM

36 posts, read 43,776 times
Quote:

It's just like Orlando with older buildings, more ghettoish and less hispanics

I think you will love it as long as you are in a good school district and get a secure job You can also live in Clearwater or Tampa.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Hmm, maybe I should get mods to move to Tampa/St Pete forum...

Mods?

PS- thanks for the replies thus far. Gypsychic, thx. I'll have to see what the address is and I can PM it to ya.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,510,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post
It's just like Orlando with older buildings, more ghettoish and less hispanics

I think you will love it as long as you are in a good school district and get a secure job You can also live in Clearwater or Tampa.
Tampa/St. Pete is nothing like Orlando.

OP, IMHO, If I were in your shoes, I'd look at Northern Pinellas, Western Hillsborough, or maybe the Bradenton area.. granted, all three would give you a commute and Bradenton would cause you to pay a toll to cross the Skyway, but I believe all three would be better options than living in St. Pete.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,136,218 times
I live in St. Pete and love it.

There are some absolutely wonderful schools here. Many, actually. But they are all magnets, so getting into them requires some jumping through hoops. Very worth it, imo.

I'm a cheerleader for South Saint Pete. We have some of the safest and nicest neighborhoods in the city. Steer clear of Midtown, as Gypsychic already pointed out. Cost wise, the good neighborhoods are more than what you would spend in northern Pinellas, but not outrageous.

Traffic isn't so bad. I would not be excited about commuting from St. Pete to Tampa or the other way around, but just driving around here doesn't bother me.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Are there any smaller, more rual areas close by?

If anyone is familiar with Orlando, are there are any areas similar to Oviedo (good schools, more rural, nice and well-kept neighborhoods, very low crime, friendly people), Winter Springs (similar to Oviedo) or Lake Mary (safe, good schools, new and clean)?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,136,218 times
What do you mean by close by? An hour or so, yes. Otherwise, just city and suburbia.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Are there any smaller, more rual areas close by?

If anyone is familiar with Orlando, are there are any areas similar to Oviedo (good schools, more rural, nice and well-kept neighborhoods, very low crime, friendly people), Winter Springs (similar to Oviedo) or Lake Mary (safe, good schools, new and clean)?
ComSense - I remember some of your posts from the past, and the type of lifestyle you enjoy. One thing you will NOT like about St. Pete or Pinellas County in general is the congestion and sprawl. Pinellas is a peninsula and is completely built out - there is an extremely high density rate of population per square mile there. How much of a commute are you willing to make? If I know that, I might be able to recommend a compromise. I personally think you would be happy in parts of Manatee County, but that could be too far depending where in St. Pete you are working. I also recommend Safety Harbor which might not be too bad of a commute. This is a really cute, quaint town, on the bay, lots of trees, charming little downtown, I love it.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Thx everyone, I'll hopefully be able to come down and look around, once I got the call (hopefully). I dont mind the congestion as much if its a little less of a rude/me-first mentality than it is in Orlando. But maybe it's the same, dont know yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay