U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,537 posts, read 3,654,330 times

Advertisements

Teachers in Hillsborough County are screened using a tool that attempts to identify their ability to deal with different situations and how flexible they are. While I can't attest to it's value, you have to score well on it to be hired.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM

670 posts, read 1,065,081 times
I have had some good and some bad teachers but two, one named Mrs. Hurst ,who was my daughters kindergarten teacher years ago and I dont know how on God's green earth she passed the personality test
because she was the nastiest teacher I have ever met in my life. I had two other unprofessional nasty ones as well but I will say, I never noticed such blatant nastiness until moving to FL. In VA, that type of behavior would not have been tolerated! I dont know why it was tolerated here but it was an eye opener for me. Luckily, we got really lucky with some awesome teachers last year! Fingers are crossed for the same good luck this year.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM

86 posts, read 237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
Is this an official county documented process or just your experience?
No, not official. Something I heard years ago when I questioned my daughter's school about why the groups of students were so different from year to year. I thought kids should loop together and they didn't feel that way (for whatever reason). Apparently what I heard is not accurate.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,054,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If a student is an existing student in the school, teacher assignments are done at the end of the year prior to their promotion. That is, in April or May of this year, the teachers in both grades, the one they are currently in and the one they will be promoted to, meet as a group, often with the principal present, and decide who will go where.

There are a lot of variables present in these decisions, both tangible and intangible. Efforts are made to "balance" the classrooms with students of different levels and abilities, in order to prevent a teacher from having students "bunched" at one end of the developmental spectrum...............
RM
Many appreciate your comments from the inside, but what you describe is not necessarily true for all schools in Hillsborough county. In fact, teachers in at least one school do not know their student assignments until tomorrow, when they will be released by the administration to the teachers. In that particular school, there are no committees deciding. Perhaps your comments are middle and high school specific.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Many appreciate your comments from the inside, but what you describe is not necessarily true for all schools in Hillsborough county. In fact, teachers in at least one school do not know their student assignments until tomorrow, when they will be released by the administration to the teachers. In that particular school, there are no committees deciding. Perhaps your comments are middle and high school specific.
I realize that this is something that is up to the administration, but in the schools I have been in, which range from A schools in affluent areas to Title 1 schools in not so nice places, everyone had their classroom rosters when we arrived for preplanning.

Sounds like there are some administrators out there with control issues.

I see nothing to be gained by holding back until the first day of school. I realize these may be rhetorical questions, but how do you organize your room? How do you individualize the seating or groups? How can you prepare for instruction if you have students with IEPs or 504 plans?

And no, I am speaking strictly from an elementary point of view.

That is a little scary. I can't imagine having to wait until the first day of school for this information. You would be playing "catch up" for a while if this is true.

PM me if you want. I really want to know what school this is....

RM

Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times
First off - MortonR.... thank you for the wealth of information.

My son was in K last year. Assigned to a teacher but then they moved him, which we were happy because the teacher was very condescending when speaking to my wife or myself. Which made no sense because A) We were new to the school B) We volunteered frequently.

Anyhow, our kid got placed into another class, we were happy. Well,now he is in 1st grade and guess who his teacher is this year? That nasty one that he almost got stuck with last year. LOL. Things could get interesting! I think everyone grew up with a teach here or there that you remember as being 'bad' (typically defined as "least favorite"). I think dealing with teachers who you do not like is part of growing up and teaches you there are different personalities everywhere out there. Of course, DW doesn't necessarily agree with this. :-)

All I got to say is good luck to my kid and I pray that his teacher has a better attitude with DW this year.... or it's going t be on like Donkey Kong.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
First off - MortonR.... thank you for the wealth of information.

My son was in K last year. Assigned to a teacher but then they moved him, which we were happy because the teacher was very condescending when speaking to my wife or myself. Which made no sense because A) We were new to the school B) We volunteered frequently.

Anyhow, our kid got placed into another class, we were happy. Well,now he is in 1st grade and guess who his teacher is this year? That nasty one that he almost got stuck with last year. LOL. Things could get interesting! I think everyone grew up with a teach here or there that you remember as being 'bad' (typically defined as "least favorite"). I think dealing with teachers who you do not like is part of growing up and teaches you there are different personalities everywhere out there. Of course, DW doesn't necessarily agree with this. :-)

All I got to say is good luck to my kid and I pray that his teacher has a better attitude with DW this year.... or it's going t be on like Donkey Kong.
You're certainly approaching it in the right manner for everyone involved - give the teacher a chance. It's amazing how some teachers will come off in a negative way to an adult, but when they are in their element with their students, they really shine.

Best of luck to you and your student - I hope it works out for everyone.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or