U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM

315 posts, read 553,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
...The point is that a Tampa is big enough to accomodate more classic arts weather you like it or not.
Thanks Gypsy for putting the links here, hopefully more people realize that entertainment doesn't end in sports.
It's just the way American culture is. Even in NYC you don't hear all the time about Broadway or the Opera, its usually about the Giants or the Yankees but there is a huge classical arts following. Same here in Tampa, its not plastered all over the news and online, but believe that the Tampa Bay Area offers plenty in performing arts.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM

15,221 posts, read 31,208,476 times
Quote:
Of course I do, hence my earlier comment that if it wasn't for the kids school we'd be there now.

I spend over 23 years in a stage performing environment, and I am not a water sports fan.

The point is that a Tampa is big enough to accomodate more classic arts weather you like it or not.
Thanks Gypsy for putting the links here, hopefully more people realize that entertainment doesn't end in sports.
Yes, I pretty much figured you knew about all this, but wanted to post the links to make others aware that all this is available, albeit south of Tampa. I'm not sure why this little city has so much, while other larger cities in Florida do not. I guess it has to do with it's Ringling history.

Frankly, my husband and I are not sports fans, either, but plenty of other people are, so I guess those people like that about Tampa. At least Tampa has the nice Straz Center, which is the 2nd largest performing arts center in the southeast.

Personally I like a mix of cultural activities and outdoor/nature type of activities, and of course we have all that here, too.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM

114 posts, read 215,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I agree with most of your post certainly, with how you think we can improve Tampa, seems reasonable enough. However to compare the 14th market in the US with the city which is widely regarded as the capital of the world, a bit of a stretch, I am sure there a guy in a West Virgina coal mining town who can make the same arguments comparing his town vs NYC, i.e "its better to me", but it would be highly irrelevant. As someone who grew up in the city, has most of my family/friends in the city to compare northeast democrats to working class republicans is blasphemy, most of us in this hemisphere have "pretty similar values", i wouldn't vote republican unless my family was being held at gunpoint. You are either for social programs or you are for corporate welfare, you are either for tax cuts for the 1 percent or you are not. At any rate to your earlier post, most of NYC is not upper class, like most of the nation they are lower middle class and slipping.
Once again, I was just pointing out that we weren't just a one trick pony, and that we did have a financial/business center, an artsy center, working class communities, etc. The only reason why I rattled off the ten things about Tampa that are "better" is because NYC's culture was claimed "superior." I'm sorry, but no culture is ever superior to another.

And you're talking to a member of a third party. As an outsider looking in, most Dems and Repubs want the same thing - to work hard, provide for their families, and live a comfortable life. The politicians are really good at the "divide and conquer" strategy. Most of my friends/relatives from NYC originated in the Bronx/Queens, so many of them share the same working class values as any member of the working class.

Sure, there are Tea Partiers and there are Occupiers. But those are just a very vocal minority; most Americans in the $20k-$150k a year range are pretty similar in views, and actually when given issues and not just people, they tend to be libertarian (good for me) and not along R and D party lines.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Businesses which will all fail because the majority of people working here are working service jobs, and are not able to afford ANYTHING of good quality.

First you need employers to notice inflation rates, then pay employees a decent wage, then expect that the people will have some buying power, and then expecting these businesses will thrive.

I agree that we need real jobs around here, and also some job diversity, not just nurses and accountants...BUT...in order for a company to move here, there should be some quality in the employees too...if the majority is made up of HS grads...Good Luck bringing anything of value around here.
But, if say an engineer from UF who graduated from Howard Blake wanted to build "green" motors for boats, that production plant in Tampa Bay could provide jobs for hundreds of high school educated people. Sure, many people around here have no degree, but USF is 40,000 kids strong, UCF is 60,000, and UF is 50,000. Some, if not many, of those alumni are going to find their way to the Tampa Bay area.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,904,569 times
Did I ever mention the Rays, Lightning or Bucs in my post? Nope... sure didn't. I guess if doing activities outside is classified as sports... well... then be it.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM

226 posts, read 275,368 times
Well Algia, I'm sorry but some of you 'art appreciation' types just come off so snobby and 'I'm better then you'. It's ok to say you rather sit indoors in AC all day then enjoy a sports or outdoor activity-but it comes across as you looking down on people that DO enjoy this kind of thing. Appreciating the arts doesn't make you any better, or better educated then those people who chose different for entertainment. My gosh what a boring world that would be if we're all the same huh?

You can appreciate the arts in your own way without a Broadway show. How about volunteering or offering classes in High School, Colleges, etc since you are so experienced and aware of high quality art/theatre? How about picking up drawing classes somewhere? There are tons of cheap things to do to enjoy the arts without going to Broadway and spending tons of cash on tickets, parking, good attire, etc...

I grew up going to a Conservatory or Music my entire life and in a different country-I appreciate anything music related, I majored in Piano but play 3 other wind instruments and dabbled in strings. I've played dozens of times in concert halls and learned to love the history of music and understand the lives of Mozart, Bach, even appreciate the eccentricity of Bartok.

That said, I enjoy a good rockin' concert and even live cover bands or small bands in small venues..I appreciate them for their passion, their spirit, the fun, the atmospher and good energy -more fun then many Orchestra events I've been too also The closest I've been to Broadway is the Fox Theatre in Atl-and enjoyed all the shows I've seen greatly. NOT my idea of what I love to do every 3-4 weeks but I enjoy it on ocassion.

I just dont' get this 'if you don't have Broadway or enjoy Theatre you're a bunch of red-neck uneducated low rent bafoons' attitude that so many of the 'artsy' type seem to have. Please explain that?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM

4,828 posts, read 3,488,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powellmacaque View Post
Once again, I was just pointing out that we weren't just a one trick pony, and that we did have a financial/business center, an artsy center, working class communities, etc. The only reason why I rattled off the ten things about Tampa that are "better" is because NYC's culture was claimed "superior." I'm sorry, but no culture is ever superior to another.

And you're talking to a member of a third party. As an outsider looking in, most Dems and Repubs want the same thing - to work hard, provide for their families, and live a comfortable life. The politicians are really good at the "divide and conquer" strategy. Most of my friends/relatives from NYC originated in the Bronx/Queens, so many of them share the same working class values as any member of the working class.

Sure, there are Tea Partiers and there are Occupiers. But those are just a very vocal minority; most Americans in the $20k-$150k a year range are pretty similar in views, and actually when given issues and not just people, they tend to be libertarian (good for me) and not along R and D party lines.
Its always surprising to me the amount of people I meet that are of your affiliation, if there really were that many libertarians we would have a stronger alternative, but we don't this is a 2 party system, at the end of the day you have to vote for one or the other. I despise the culture wars, and both sides are responsible for that, but again when you are in the voting booth is bad or worse as your choice.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That is pure bull****! (BS= Bachelor's in Stupidity)

There is no entertainment in the burbs! There are no theaters here, (aside from MOVIE theaters which don't count since I can rent that type of content with my TV remote, and sit comfy on my own couch without anyone chewing pop corn in my ears, and cough all over me! Thanks)

This is PRECISELY the dumbing down of this society that i am talking about! Making a ridiculous assumption that just because someone is looking to raise a family, that equals they are through with going out to see a classical concert, a ballet, or a good quality Broadway show!

Do you think us, the ones with families, are all stupid, and all we care about is getting fat and watch TV 24/7? cause I can assure you that while there IS a portion of the population in the USA that happily does that, there is another portion that doesn't do that AT ALL, and resents the fact that good quality entertainment is non-existent, when it should be available without an issue!
You want a suburb that's caught up in the high arts? Move to Pensacola. I lived there for 2 years, they've got plenty of theatres and three orchestras in the area.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its always surprising to me the amount of people I meet that are of your affiliation, if there really were that many libertarians we would have a stronger alternative, but we don't this is a 2 party system, at the end of the day you have to vote for one or the other. I despise the culture wars, and both sides are responsible for that, but again when you are in the voting booth is bad or worse as your choice.
I don't want this to get modded into oblivion, so if you have any other points on this topic, feel free to send me a message. But I'll just say that the libertarian movement is stronger than the media would let you believe, I'm attending the Ron Paul event at the Sun Dome the day before the RNC and I'm pretty sure they're expecting a packed house. If you drove by USF during the Tampa debates, you would've only seen Ron Paul posters, I think maybe one Gingrich and one Santorum poster. But Fox, CNN, etc get to decide what's on TV and therefore get to decide what "popular opinion" is.

But like I said feel free to send me a message, I like to discuss politics but some people don't appreciate it so I'd rather do it in private. And if you're feeling adventurous, come out to the Ron Paul event and see what it's all about. I'll be volunteering for the Libertarian Party and promoting Gary Johnson. I'm pretty easy to talk to about politics and I'm a democrat-turned-libertarian with one republican mother and a democrat dad, so I won't go into petty name calling etc.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,792,477 times
See photos below:
These kids should have a local lyrical/classical theater to look forward to dance in when they grow up. If Sarasota which is 1/4 in size compared to Tampa is able to have such a nice variety of classic arts, Tampa can too!

I actually want to THANK the editor of this little local paper for putting the arts on the front page for a change! We've been suffocated enough by football. Time for some other things to take "center stage" here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay