U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM

114 posts, read 215,564 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit of an urban nerd. I always check out the "top cities for 20 somethings" or "top cities for families" lists. I know the lists will always have Chicago, San Francisco, and NYC towards the top, a few trendy cities like Portland, Seattle, Raleigh, Pittsburgh, and Austin sprinkled about, and then a few surprise cities like a Rochester or a Madison.

But never anything in the Bay. Some lists have even included Naples/Ft.Myers, which to me seems like a step down from the Bay area (no offense SWFL fans). In fact, most lists leave Florida off entirely.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think the Bay area is on the upswing, and I don't think its bottom was that bad. Yes, we had the housing bubble burst like most other sunbelt cities, but we haven't gone through the complete urban blight like a lot of the cities in the upper midwest did in the 60s-90s.

While many cities' identities are sort of "locked in" I think Tampa Bay has the biggest potential to become a 21st century city. We have 4/5 major sports. We have a top 200 university and a handful of great private liberal arts schools. We have a street food that we are known for (Cubans), independent breweries, bars/clubs for every taste, multiple concert venues and performing arts centers, a world class arena (even if getting to it sucks), one of the best stadiums in the NFL, and some of the greatest beaches in the world.

Taking the whole bay into consideration, we have the "Manhattan" in downtown Tampa, the "Brooklyn" in St. Pete, the "Staten Island" in Brandon, and the potential for the working class/suburban-ish areas in Central/North Pinellas and in the neighborhoods north of Hillsborough Ave in Tampa.

I commute to USF from St. Pete, and I've been watching the number of cranes and urban development increase slowly but surely.

I'm not saying we'll be an ultra dense metropolis similar to the great northern cities, but I do think Tampa has the potential to be a great "secondary" metropolitan region.

Yes, people like to gripe about where they live. But I've bounced all over the East Coast/Gulf Coast for a while, and I think people in the Bay take for granted the gem they have in their metro region.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM

15,195 posts, read 31,148,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powellmacaque View Post
I'm a bit of an urban nerd. I always check out the "top cities for 20 somethings" or "top cities for families" lists. I know the lists will always have Chicago, San Francisco, and NYC towards the top, a few trendy cities like Portland, Seattle, Raleigh, Pittsburgh, and Austin sprinkled about, and then a few surprise cities like a Rochester or a Madison.

But never anything in the Bay. Some lists have even included Naples/Ft.Myers, which to me seems like a step down from the Bay area (no offense SWFL fans). In fact, most lists leave Florida off entirely.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think the Bay area is on the upswing, and I don't think its bottom was that bad. Yes, we had the housing bubble burst like most other sunbelt cities, but we haven't gone through the complete urban blight like a lot of the cities in the upper midwest did in the 60s-90s.

While many cities' identities are sort of "locked in" I think Tampa Bay has the biggest potential to become a 21st century city. We have 4/5 major sports. We have a top 200 university and a handful of great private liberal arts schools. We have a street food that we are known for (Cubans), independent breweries, bars/clubs for every taste, multiple concert venues and performing arts centers, a world class arena (even if getting to it sucks), one of the best stadiums in the NFL, and some of the greatest beaches in the world.

Taking the whole bay into consideration, we have the "Manhattan" in downtown Tampa, the "Brooklyn" in St. Pete, the "Staten Island" in Brandon, and the potential for the working class/suburban-ish areas in Central/North Pinellas and in the neighborhoods north of Hillsborough Ave in Tampa.

I commute to USF from St. Pete, and I've been watching the number of cranes and urban development increase slowly but surely.

I'm not saying we'll be an ultra dense metropolis similar to the great northern cities, but I do think Tampa has the potential to be a great "secondary" metropolitan region.

Yes, people like to gripe about where they live. But I've bounced all over the East Coast/Gulf Coast for a while, and I think people in the Bay take for granted the gem they have in their metro region.
I totally agree with you. While I live in Sarasota now, I was born and raised in Tampa and have seen huge changes in the whole Tampa Bay area over the years. Tampa is a city with a rich history (for Florida) and a lot of huge potential. It is my opinion from what I am seeing that this city is on the verge of a rebirth. St. Pete came a long way in the last decade with it's now-bustling downtown with all the museums, etc. I think it speaks volumes that a wealthy private developer saw enough in downtown Tampa to make him want to buy the crumbling Floridan Hotel and take 7 years spending MILLIONS of $$$ to restore it to splendor. With Buckhorn as mayor, I see Tampa making great strides over the next several years. Things take time, but little by little it will happen. Tampa has the bay and the river which adds to the richness of things, something that most other cities don't have.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,133,283 times
There are too many haters out there.

Of all the cities in North Carolina, I dont understand why Raleigh of all places would rate high. It's not that great of a place.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,781,109 times
You must be kidding! That's an insult to Manhattan! Have you been to Manhattan?

Tampa "has" the potential to become a more cosmopolitan city, NEVER a Manhattan! People move here to avoid the Manhattan craziness! However, downtown is DEAD after 5! Manhattan is alive 24/7! You cannot make that comparison in a million years! Miles of wasted real estate will have to be bulldozed to make downtown Tampa more appealing, and ALIVE. Start with cleaning up the homeless.

Downtown Tampa is TOO CLOSE to crackdown...Wayyy to close...within a mile or less... Yeah, there have been "some" improvements, but it is SLOW...for some inexplicable reason, and the changes made do not reflect a demographic or another. The city of Tampa is not doing much to attract anything but some youngsters, who are disoriented about what's normally considered good quality entertainment.

In NYC you have entertainment for everyone specifically marketed for different demographics. Here you don't, because you don't have ENOUGH entertainment venues to create COMPETITION. Competition between Broadway type shows, ballet, music, etc. In Tampa I do not have a choice between going to see Swan Lake, or a Martha Graham ballet. I only have what's fed at the performing arts center, which is MINIMAL in the general scope of things, and in return it is detrimental to the young people around who have to grow up without choices, so they have the ability to form an opinion on something.

AND to top that, I completely disagree that having three football teams is beneficial in any way, or that it brings quality entertainment to the area. On the contrary, I think it is flat out brainwashing youngsters into ONE type of entertainment. It is NOT educational, is it not even pretty to look at....a bunch of sweaty guys running after a damn ball, and beating the crap out of each other for it! I am sorry, I am not a fan...it is not enriching my life in any way shape or form. I think we have more than enough of that. If it wasn't for my kids school, we would have moved to Sarasota mainly because while it is a much smaller city, it values the arts a LOT better!

Half of St Pete is more like Skid ROW than Brooklyn....Brooklyn would be mad with such comparison...

The "Tampa Bay" area is no match for NYC. It will never be, unless extensive construction starts happening now, and unless some variety in entertainment is brought into the area. "I" should have a hard time deciding what show to go too...unlike now, where I'm like.....I've seen this, and this, and that and now what?

Quote:

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,892,657 times
Tampa will take off. Every town I move into seems to grow faster than it ever has and really takes off. You can thank me later.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,323,594 times
Tampa Bay is not a city, it's a body of water.

Aside from breaking balls, the density will never achieve Manhattan-like numbers due to a number of factors, many related to infrastructure. It could achieve the numbers via sprawl, but that defeats the purpose.

I like the idea of St. Pete being Brooklyn. Infinitely cooler than Tampa.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,892,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Come on... no town can compare to New York. That's why New York is well.. New York.

Not too long ago NY/Manhattan was an unsafe dump with drug dealers, robbers and murderers crawling all over it. They've done a great job cleaning it up.

Hate to break it to ya... but 'CrackTown' is always close to Downtown in every city.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,781,109 times
& I'm fine with that.

I could tell them what to do to speed this up...and don't get me wrong, but I think LOCALS come first, before tourists, because LOCALS LIVE HERE, tourists don't, and we already Orlando to cater to that crowd.

Tampa needs to remember that we have enough locals here that could be a continuous flow of profit for venues (IF there were enough venues to accommodate all demographics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Tampa will take off. Every town I move into seems to grow faster than it ever has and really takes off. You can thank me later.
Thanks for pointing that out:
Quote:
Tampa Bay is not a city, it's a body of water.
I still don't know why St Pete is lumped in with Tampa, in this "Tampa Bay" expression!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM

428 posts, read 1,323,594 times
Quote:
Y

Half of St Pete is more like Skid ROW than Brooklyn....Brooklyn would be mad with such comparison...
Obviously you've never been to either place.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM

4,823 posts, read 3,479,685 times
Quote:

Tampa "has" the potential to become a more cosmopolitan city, NEVER a Manhattan! People move here to avoid the Manhattan craziness! However, downtown is DEAD after 5! Manhattan is alive 24/7! You cannot make that comparison in a million years! Miles of wasted real estate will have to be bulldozed to make downtown Tampa more appealing, and ALIVE. Start with cleaning up the homeless.

Downtown Tampa is TOO CLOSE to crackdown...Wayyy to close...within a mile or less... Yeah, there have been "some" improvements, but it is SLOW...for some inexplicable reason, and the changes made do not reflect a demographic or another. The city of Tampa is not doing much to attract anything but some youngsters, who are disoriented about what's normally considered good quality entertainment.

In NYC you have entertainment for everyone specifically marketed for different demographics. Here you don't, because you don't have ENOUGH entertainment venues to create COMPETITION. Competition between Broadway type shows, ballet, music, etc. In Tampa I do not have a choice between going to see Swan Lake, or a Martha Graham ballet. I only have what's fed at the performing arts center, which is MINIMAL in the general scope of things, and in return it is detrimental to the young people around who have to grow up without choices, so they have the ability to form an opinion on something.

AND to top that, I completely disagree that having three football teams is beneficial in any way, or that it brings quality entertainment to the area. On the contrary, I think it is flat out brainwashing youngsters into ONE type of entertainment. It is NOT educational, is it not even pretty to look at....a bunch of sweaty guys running after a damn ball, and beating the crap out of each other for it! I am sorry, I am not a fan...it is not enriching my life in any way shape or form. I think we have more than enough of that. If it wasn't for my kids school, we would have moved to Sarasota mainly because while it is a much smaller city, it values the arts a LOT better!

The "Tampa Bay" area is no match for NYC. It will never be, unless extensive construction starts happening now, and unless some variety in entertainment is brought into the area. "I" should have a hard time deciding what show to go too...unlike now, where I'm like.....I've seen this, and this, and that and now what?
There is 1 NYC, to say that Tampa will reach that is nuts. All cities mature into something different, no other major cities will turn into NYC as much as they will turn into LA. As someone who grew up in the NYC area, I can tell you, before the 9-11 reconstruction of downtown manhattan it was desolated, i remember working @the courthouse after hours and having to walk to chinatown to get some food, every bit as empty as Tampa's downtown, as far as being close to cracktown until recently if you got lost in the lower east side you were sucking. There was a concerted effort to get people into the downtown buildings, even with that if you drive through the wall street area on a weekend is pretty empty. If you think Ybor is getto you wouldnt have driven through Brooklyn in the pope mobile during the late nineties or earlier. Red hook, Park Slope all those areas that are now fully gentrified and are now trendy use to be the epicenter of the crack/aids epidemic. I wouldnt get so down on Tampa, things change, I was told by someone who use to live here in the 80's that Riverview was were all the carnies live, he had no idea of how much that whole south shore area developed. My belated point being it will change hopefully for the best but never into NYC like city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay