Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,328,906 times

Advertisements

Louisiana has inspections. I assure you that Louisiana is no safer of a place to drive. My insurance is slightly higher in Louisiana than Florida.

I'm not sure why you "conservatives" are wanting more government red tape, fees, and ways for police to tax you.

Trust me, the inspections are not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Louisiana has inspections. I assure you that Louisiana is no safer of a place to drive. My insurance is slightly higher in Louisiana than Florida.

I'm not sure why you "conservatives" are wanting more government red tape, fees, and ways for police to tax you.

Trust me, the inspections are not worth it.
I'm not sure who this is directed at, but I can assure you I'm not conservative.

We had emissions and safety inspections in NC, and I saw fewer cars in disrepair on the road. If people maintained their cars it's not very expensive for the inspection.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,966,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

State "safety inspections" as most of the states found out, are useless.
Not wanting to pick a fight, but, is there evidence to support this? I know at one time in NJ ,when the inspections were strict and preformed by the state, NJ was considered to have the safest cars in the country.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Not wanting to pick a fight, but, is there evidence to support this? I know at one time in NJ ,when the inspections were strict and preformed by the state, NJ was considered to have the safest cars in the country.
I can see now that you're your own worst enemies. Almost all of the states that are on the top 10 most dangerous drivers list have inspection stickers, so that blows your whole theory out of the water.

Move to Louisiana if you like inspection sticker check points and having to take off of work to get inspection stickers or to replace sensors on your car in order to be legal. Good luck with your big government regulation and extra fee. It works so well in New Jersey *sarcasm*.

Safe drivers are gonna be safe drivers. Unsafe drivers are gonna be unsafe drivers.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I can see now that you're your own worst enemies. Almost all of the states that are on the top 10 most dangerous drivers list have inspection stickers, so that blows your whole theory out of the water.

Move to Louisiana if you like inspection sticker check points and having to take off of work to get inspection stickers or to replace sensors on your car in order to be legal. Good luck with your big government regulation and extra fee. It works so well in New Jersey *sarcasm*.

Safe drivers are gonna be safe drivers. Unsafe drivers are gonna be unsafe drivers.
Wait a second. The safest states are 1. Mass
2. Rhode Island
3. New York
4. D.C.
5. N.J.
6. Conn.
7. Hawaii
8. N.H.
9. Washington
10. Illinois

This is from 2002 before some abandoned safety inspections. Some of the most dangerous drivers I've ever seen are in Florida, no stickers.Dangerous drivers plus dangerous cars. Guess it would make sense if I were you.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM

114 posts, read 249,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
1. Unlike almost all other cities, there are no police officers performing regular traffic stops in the Tampa Bay area.

2. In the rare case that someone gets pulled over, they will not write a ticket (see the TBT article a few months back on this).

3. In the extremely rare case that someone gets a ticket and they don't pay it, the city/county won't pursue the matter (again, see stats on unpaid tickets).

4. Therefore, the municipalities see no financial impact of traffic enforcement and make it a low priority.

They could easily hire a bunch of cops to just hand out tickets for expired plates (and when pulled over, check for insurance) and balance the Tampa/St Pete budgets. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. But they won't because the public would be OUTRAGED! (again, see the TBT article on the subject)

Thus, our roads look like Death Race 2000.

Also, safety inspections are considered a "regressive tax" by many liberal activists, just like they call paying a $75 a year fee to support the fire/ambulance service. If people think that $75 to keep a fire department functioning is too high, they aren't going to put up with a laundry list of mandatory car repairs every year.
I don't get this logic. How does loss of finances = better driving. If it was really about safety, they would just make a point system and after so many points you get suspended, revoked, whatever.

I'm 22. I get pulled over ALL THE TIME. Most of the time because it's "suspicious" that I'm driving home from work at 11pm. I once had an officer give me a $200 seatbelt ticket when my car was parked and my ignition was off at a gas pump and I was about to get gas. He pulled in behind me, asked me why I didn't have a seatbelt on. When I told him I was getting gas, he said that it was "no excuse." I've had my car torn apart on numerous occasions for "reasonable causes" (aka I was young and helpless) even though I haven't smoked anything in my life.

How about instead of raping the common person via traffic violations, we make our roads easier to navigate. Florida, and especially Tampa, sucks for people who don't know where they're going. Some signs tell you that an attraction is "this way" and then you're never given further direction. Hell, the other day I was driving on I-75 and they had one of those changeable LED signs that said "Construction Ahead" and then out of nowhere came traffic cones, not even easing into a closed lane. If we make the street signs fool proof, only fools will cause accidents.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
With 30 states, including NJ, no longer performing safety inspections traffic fatalities have still declined over the last few years. I realize there are other factors involved such as cars being built safer and seat belt laws but the vast majority of traffic fatalities are caused by driver error not unsafe cars which would seem to mitigate the need for safety inspections.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM

If you're basing it on fatalities, then yes, I agree.Cars are exponentially safer now. As for accidents, injury related accidents were up, property related damage were down. But none of these are a true indicator considering the sharp drop in actual miles traveled.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
If you're basing it on fatalities, then yes, I agree.Cars are exponentially safer now. As for accidents, injury related accidents were up, property related damage were down. But none of these are a true indicator considering the sharp drop in actual miles traveled.
The miles traveled per licensed driver has only started decreasing slightly since 2005, comparing the below graph with the previous one I think the mileage aspect is a minor influence. This was the most recent I could find.

Also if you look at the graph at the link here you will see that the injury rate per vehicle mile traveled is decreasing.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811552.pdf

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The miles traveled per licensed driver has only started decreasing slightly since 2005, comparing the below graph with the previous one I think the mileage aspect is a minor influence. This was the most recent I could find.

Also if you look at the graph at the link here you will see that the injury rate per vehicle mile traveled is decreasing.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811552.pdf
You need newer data. The bigger decline in mileage came after 2008 and the injury uptick occurred in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay