U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM

15 posts, read 42,327 times

Advertisements

Thinking about leaving FishHawk Ranch for something closer to Tampa & the beach. We are a family of four, with two under 3. My husband works regionally & from home, therefore no commuting issues. Looking to buy in the $350 - $450 range...and of course hoping to for the usual...good schools, safe, family friendly...all those characteristics that go hand in hand.

Someone told me to look into Westchase today...at this time my research has been limited to the internet, planning to head out that way this weekend.

Looking for some pros & cons, as well, as information on neighborhoods to focus on within the Westchase community. It seem like the master plan is somewhat similar to FHR - there are some neighborhoods within the larger community of FHR that I would NOT live in...not only for style of homes, but also just general vibe/stupid crime that goes on.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,988,093 times
Westchase is a VERY NICE area. Very modern for the most part, amazing homes and great subdivisions. I am sure someone will point out some negatives, but I honestly don't have anything bad to say about the area at all.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,107,765 times
Pro's: everything is great, but commute to downtown and CDD fees (which you are likely paying in fishhawk)
Cons: Commute times to downtown suck and traffic on Linebaugh at peak times, CDD fees

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM

315 posts, read 550,564 times
Westchase is THE de facto neighborhood for family living in the Tampa Area [along with Waterchase]. I'd recommend Mandolin if you can afford it. CDD fees about 2k a year. People hate on the CDD fees but amazingly this yearly fee manages to keep the riff-raff away. Its worth it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,359 times
What about schools?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocate4 View Post
Thinking about leaving FishHawk Ranch for something closer to Tampa & the beach. We are a family of four, with two under 3. My husband works regionally & from home, therefore no commuting issues. Looking to buy in the $350 - $450 range...and of course hoping to for the usual...good schools, safe, family friendly...all those characteristics that go hand in hand.

Someone told me to look into Westchase today...at this time my research has been limited to the internet, planning to head out that way this weekend.

Looking for some pros & cons, as well, as information on neighborhoods to focus on within the Westchase community. It seem like the master plan is somewhat similar to FHR - there are some neighborhoods within the larger community of FHR that I would NOT live in...not only for style of homes, but also just general vibe/stupid crime that goes on.

Thanks for your input.
I just posted this in another thread, so maybe it can help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I can't tell you what is better for you........I can however give you our experience when we were house hunting a short while back. Westchase was definitely on our list, based on what I read and how it was marketed. Once we got here and went through there, we were extremely disappointed. It was not even close to being as nice looking and well kept as it appeared to be online. There were some downright nasty looking sections to it. It was much closer to areas "we" found questionable. It had way too much regular traffic. And the combo of taxes and CDDs were just outrageous.

For us, it was a strike out very quickly we ended up picking an area in eastern Palm Harbor, which had no CDDs, lower taxes, much much less traffic issues, had all gorgeous neighborhoods and is not near anything questionable at all, yet close to everything we like.

Your mileage certainly may vary, as everyone likes different things. This is the experience I can provide, but I, nor anyone else, can tell you which area is best for you.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,791,980 times
Lived in the Eagles for four years only left because I wanted my high-schoolers to go to an IB dilpoma school(moved back to Palm Harbor)! The Westchase area is a great place to raise a family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay