U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,520 posts, read 3,647,927 times

Advertisements

If there was an accurate way of accounting for it, I have to believe that the costs incurred by businesses for the disruption the RNC is creating far exceed any profits created by their presence. And what about those businesses forced to close? Is the RNC paying the furloughed workers? Are they reimbursing the business for lost profits?

A good example of this is the Sobiks sub shop in the County Center. They closed last Friday because the building is being closed down for two weeks. That has got to take a toll on their bottom line. And how are the workers paying their bills for those two weeks?

Yes, the Federal government and the RNC are paying a portion of the costs, but certainly not covering all of them. As a result of this, consumers, business people ant taxpayers are picking up the difference.

I see no net gain here, unlike an event such as the Superbowl.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

315 posts, read 550,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If there was an accurate way of accounting for it, I have to believe that the costs incurred by businesses for the disruption the RNC is creating far exceed any profits created by their presence. And what about those businesses forced to close? Is the RNC paying the furloughed workers? Are they reimbursing the business for lost profits?

A good example of this is the Sobiks sub shop in the County Center. They closed last Friday because the building is being closed down for two weeks. That has got to take a toll on their bottom line. And how are the workers paying their bills for those two weeks?

Yes, the Federal government and the RNC are paying a portion of the costs, but certainly not covering all of them. As a result of this, consumers, business people ant taxpayers are picking up the difference.

I see no net gain here, unlike an event such as the Superbowl.

RM

this whole post is pure speculation, got any data on that?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,520 posts, read 3,647,927 times
It was written as being speculative, asking what may be rhetorical questions.

I did ask an employee of Sobiks last week if they were being paid while closed, or going to work at another store, and the answer was a disgusted "No".

If there is a mechanism for reimbursement for costs incurred, either from the government or RNC, I would like to know about it.

RM

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,946,240 times
Gosh, if only there was some way to plan for this occurrence a whole year in advance....

Were the owners/employees told about the RNC last week?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,283 times
Since I have to go downtown that week, maybe I should buy a baseball bat!???? (In case!) hahaha

Is Tampa police not trained the same way as the rest of the police in the US? if they are trained the same, then they should KNOW what to do!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,283 times
No there isn't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
It was written as being speculative, asking what may be rhetorical questions.

I did ask an employee of Sobiks last week if they were being paid while closed, or going to work at another store, and the answer was a disgusted "No".

If there is a mechanism for reimbursement for costs incurred, either from the government or RNC, I would like to know about it.

RM

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-21-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,095,797 times
Police confiscate bricks, pipes from downtown Tampa rooftop | TBO.com

Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

There seems to be a lot going on around the Trop lately. Big barricades and fences are being erected. The same ones used for the Indy race in March. Don't think the city has plans for an upcoming race. Could be wrong. Looks like there's going to be a huge amount of security around the Trop for RNC. There will not be any protesting within several hundred feet of the Trop the way the barricades are being set up.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,105,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There seems to be a lot going on around the Trop lately. Big barricades and fences are being erected. The same ones used for the Indy race in March. Don't think the city has plans for an upcoming race. Could be wrong. Looks like there's going to be a huge amount of security around the Trop for RNC. There will not be any protesting within several hundred feet of the Trop the way the barricades are being set up.
There is exactly 1 event in St. Pete... the opening ceremony is at the trop, and the city got 1 million $$$ for it.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Tropical Storm Isaac forms in Atlantic, RNC organizers keep wary eye on storm's track | wtsp.com

There is concern that the weather may not cooperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or