U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM

146 posts, read 196,649 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Tampa within the next 5 weeks and I would really appreciate some input on places to live.
For my new job I will be going to several different areas. One is near downtown and the other in Temple Terrace, not far from the University. I will also be required to travel within Hillsborough county at times but that won't be a consistent location.
I have 3 toddlers so I really want to get something fairly safe and near all the fun stuff for kids around. Also sidewalks where they can ride their bikes and a reasonable yard would be nice.... doesn't have to be big but just a place they could run around a little. I don't want to have a time consuming commute. I would like the area to have some diversity.
I would pay up to 4500 per month if I had to but would like to try to keep it near 2500 if possible, and I'd like to rent first instead of getting into buying a place right away. That way I can decide on buying later when I know the area and the job better.
Westchase was recommended to me by people at my new job because the school is rated so well and it doesn't seem to have quite as many traffic problems as New Tampa.
Although it is not very diverse in general. That mall though is great with the carousel and 2 play areas, and the playground on Linebaugh looks fantastic.
Any advice you might have for me would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,440,433 times
Westchase isn't diverse, so you should avoid that.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

4,825 posts, read 3,484,816 times
What size house are your looking at? At that budget you can pretty much get into most neighborhoods. If you like westchase but want something more diverse look at citrus park. I dont commute that way but the times i been to westchase/citrus park the traffic is been really heavy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,998,210 times
For 4500 you can live anywhere you want! You will have no trouble finding a nice place to rent for 2500. I find it hard to really suggest any specific areas without knowing what you want to do, like to do, have to do. Do you want a pool, do you need to live close to a daycare, do you want to live away from congestion or do you need the 7-11 and strip malls very close to your home.

Westchase is very nice, Odessa (borders West Chase to the North) is very nice, Tampa Palms (New Tampa) is very nice, all over the 33647 zip code is very nice.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM

146 posts, read 196,649 times
Thank you for your help.
There are 5 of us so we need some space in the home we get. Ideally 3-4 bedrooms and over 1800 sq ft., and we would love a heated pool but understand that we may not get one. We don't need daycare right now, maybe a preschool though, and would like to be within a few miles of a grocery store. Mainly what I want in a community is a focus on the little ones, so lots of parks and playgrounds and other kids. We go to the children's museum, the zoo, Busch gardens, the beach sometimes, splash parks. Hopefully they can get into some swimming lessons and maybe dance classes or something. I'd like to be in a place that has really good public schools... the oldest will be going to kindergarten in a year and I don't relish the idea of paying for private school for kindergarten, and then multiplying that when the other 2 are ready to go to school. I'll do it if I have to but if the schools are good in the neighborhood perhaps I won't have to. My understanding is that private schools can be quite expensive.
And, I'd like to avoid extremely long commutes if possible to Temple Terrace and downtown.
I'll definitely take a look at Citrus park and Odessa as well as new tampa... I don't know why there have been a few recommendations against new tampa. Thanks again for the insider input!!

Last edited by dendrobium; 08-21-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM

205 posts, read 249,152 times
I would add Carrollwood to the list (it's just southeast of Citrus Park). It's pretty centrally located and you can find a lot of nice homes there. I'm not sure about the area as schools go, but like I said it's pretty central so chances are you'd have decent school options.

Also why not look in Temple Terrace itself? It gets a bad rap for reasons unknown to me. Just stay east of 56th street and closer to the river, and you'll be picture perfect there. I grew up near Lewis Elementary, which is right next to multipurpose fields and a big rec center with tons of activities for all ages (that's where I learned to swim, too ). Traffic is good here and the commute to downtown is pretty minimal. You're also only a short distance away from parks and nature preserves.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,484,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
Thank you for your help.
There are 5 of us so we need some space in the home we get. Ideally 3-4 bedrooms and over 1800 sq ft., and we would love a heated pool but understand that we may not get one. We don't need daycare right now, maybe a preschool though, and would like to be within a few miles of a grocery store. Mainly what I want in a community is a focus on the little ones, so lots of parks and playgrounds and other kids. We go to the children's museum, the zoo, Busch gardens, the beach sometimes, splash parks. Hopefully they can get into some swimming lessons and maybe dance classes or something. I'd like to be in a place that has really good public schools... the oldest will be going to kindergarten in a year and I don't relish the idea of paying for private school for kindergarten, and then multiplying that when the other 2 are ready to go to school. I'll do it if I have to but if the schools are good in the neighborhood perhaps I won't have to. My understanding is that private schools can be quite expensive.
And, I'd like to avoid extremely long commutes if possible to Temple Terrace and downtown.
I'll definitely take a look at Citrus park and Odessa as well as new tampa... I don't know why there have been a few recommendations against new tampa. Thanks again for the insider input!!
In Tampa, really good schools are not diverse, nor are they in a diverse neighborhood. There is a big racial income gap, for reasons outside of the scope of this posting. In Hillsborough you basically have excellent schools in South Tampa which is not really diverse but the schools have some diversity, also my personal opinion people there are more progressive than say Westchase. Westchase is another area with excellent schools not diverse, also a big stepford wives kinda thing going there. Citrus Park is nice more diverse more of a middle class/to lower middle class area. Carrolwood and Northdale pretty diverse, nothing to knock on those areas, only thing for me was the traffic. The typical rush hour traffic patterns go right up to those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay