Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,389 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing about South Tampa...

Where is it exactly please ?

As well as Westchase while You are at it, Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
South Tampa is south of I275 right after you exit the Howard Franklin bridge. If you look at a map. south Tampa is surrounded on both sides by Tampa Bay, with MacDill at the very bottom. Close to downtown and Westshore area. Beautiful Older homes for the most part and expensive due to its location not to forget 'old money.' There are some newer condos being built there too. SoHo very trendy place with restaurants and shops.
Westchase is northeast of Safety Harbor, north of Hillsborough Av. Upscale homes and a shopping area all located within the subdivision.
Westchase, Florida (FL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news
The difference IMHO is you will have to have flood ins if you live in S. Tampa and evacuate if there is a chance of hurricane hitting Tampa, even a minor hurricane.
I lived in South Tampa at one time and loved it, but I could get more for my money when it came to buying a house elsewhere.
If you go pass Gandy Blvd, the homes are cheaper but they are also usually smaller the closer you get to the base.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-05-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks a bunch 'Keeper'... nowwwwwwwwwwwww I finally know exactly where S. Tampa is... Thank You.

Sounds like S. Tampa is nice to visit.. but not to purchase an affordable home (our max is 400K) and evacuate even with a hurricaine, would make my soon to be wife... scared to move there.

So we will look at Westchase.
How are other areas... Lutz, Carrollwood, Citrus Park etc... so as to be near Pinellas Cty.

We liked Safety Harbor so far.. and maybe Palm Harbor and Dunedin.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,342 times
Most refer to South Tampa as South of Kennedy Blvd, Tampa Bay and Westshore Blvd on the West, Hillsborough Bay and Bayshore Blvd on the East, and MacDill AFB and Tampa Bay to the South. A little over 100,000 residents.

Regarding South Tampa and evacuation zones, you need to look at the entire area of South Tampa to see if you will be evacuated, the closer to the water the more likely you will be evacuated, but unless at Cat 3,4,5 come through, you will prob not be under a mandatory evacuation, unless you live on the water.
By the way, even Westchase is prone to mandatory evacuation, check out the map.
http://www.tampabaydisaster.org/Pdfs/2007/hillsborough_map.pdf (broken link)

There are pocket neighborhoods throughout South Tampa with homes ranging in the 250k plus(even north of Gandy Blvd), just depends where and what you are looking for, my recommendation is to consult with a realtor. ZipCodes are 33609,33629, 33606, 33611, 33616.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 AM

Tampaguy lives is in S.Tampa and I use to live there. If I had my choice I would choose S. Tampa but to be honest for the same money you get more house in other areas, but you also get the traffic. The homes are generally older. smaller and some are very charming. It all depends on what you are lookng for in a home. The houses in S.Tampa normally have bigger yards. Westchase and newer subs have small yards. S. Tampa you have trees all around, not so in newer subs.
Don't let the hurricane thing scare you.. I lived there 30 years and did have leave apt on Tampabay waterfront when a hurricane got close but that was the only time. My SIL lives in S. Tampa and they have never left but they live kind of in the middle of S. Tampa not as close to the water. 400K should get you a really nice house in Tampa, it all depends on what type of area you are looking for.
If you are working in Pinellas county, I would recommend S, Tampa.
Are you from NYC?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Where will you be working? Remember there really isn't a good public transportation system. Tampaguy wouldn't you say it is better in S. Tampa than anywhere else in Tampa?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,669 times
Well, not all of south Tampa is so low in elevation as to require flood insurance. I'm in the center of the "spine" and my home's elevation is 12 feet so I don't have flood insurance. In fact, I cancelled my hurricane insurance (called wind damage insurance or something similar) because the statistical odds of a hurricane hitting are extremely low. It saved me 500 per year doing that.

I agree that the northern border of south Tampa is Kennedy Blvd.....anywhere south from that main thoroughfare and you run out of real estate and in to the water.....

I've been here in south Tampa since '62 and generally love it.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM

I can work anywhere... I can work in Pinellas Cty,,,, can work in Hillsborough Cty... finding work is luckally not a problem for me... and salary would be about 100K for 3-4 days work.

We do seek a nice neighborhood.... that is foremost... as we would be starting a family... then seek a home there.. hopefully 4 bedroom or 3 is ok.. but we want 'some' land... and not interested in deed restricted or gated community... just a home we can make nice... cause afterall You can make a home nice... but cannot make a neighborhood nice...

How about other areas.... other than S. Tampa ?

Westchase I hear... Carrollwood etc.. ?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 AM

Westchase is nice but pricey. There are different little subs instead of one hugh one. Houses are different in each area. One has homes that resemble the homes built in the 40s with porches. It is deed restricted. There is a medical clinic, school and shopping all part of Westchase. From what I saw most do not have what I would consider a big yard and they are built close together. Carrollwood was once 'the place' to live if you didn't live in S. Tampa you lived in Carrollwood, at least those who could afford it. TwelveOaks has older homes but big yards, Countryway is newer has different little subs and is your typical subdivision where you will see the same style house at least once in the sub. There is a golf course.
Another place you might want to look into is Lake Pagette estates. Big lots, older homes with with lake access. The lots are hugh, country feeling, lower HOI and taxes because it is in Pasco county. I remember seeing homes in there for 200K several years ago.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Thanks Keeper... it is all appreciated what You wrote... Thanks

I was staying away from Pasco Cty... wanted to look in Pinellas.. as it was nearer to all I thought/think we wanted.

Deed restricted is simply not for me. I am not cookie cutter and do not want any assoc. telling me about flying a flag or type of mailbox etc. But yet it does have its pro's as the neighborhood maintains its value better and a neighbor cannot really let their house run down etc...

But all in all.. no deed restricted for me.

Been looking at Safety Harbor, Dunedin, Palm Harbor.

Actually leaving today for a trip to Sarasota and maybe Venice and then Naples...
we are certainly looking around during our 12 days here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay