U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

Wow...I am relocating to Tampa in few months from the Portland, OR area for a job promotion. I was looking at the Westchase area due to the good schools and community for my daughter's sake (she's 11). I have also been looking at the new Camden complex as I will want to rent for a while until I get a feel for the area...and to be honest...am freaked out about bugs and saw they have the TAEXX in wall system.
After reading some of these posts, Westchase is sounding a little elitist. I will be making plenty of money and could afford a more expensive place, but want to save for a house and pay off some school loans. It's part of why I'm willing to move to the opposite corner of the country. I will already be feeling homesick enough without having to deal with unfriendly and unwelcoming people who might judge me--or my daughter--just because I might choose to live in Camden.
Is this what I can expect in Westchase?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,677,958 times
you guys act like these are ghetto appts, I havent even looked at prices but id bet that a 1 bedroom is pushing 1k a month.. Thats not going to be full of too many low lifes if you asked me.. Probably more military, younger couples (who make decent money) and people who move often for jobs.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWheart View Post
Wow...I am relocating to Tampa in few months from the Portland, OR area for a job promotion. I was looking at the Westchase area due to the good schools and community for my daughter's sake (she's 11). I have also been looking at the new Camden complex as I will want to rent for a while until I get a feel for the area...and to be honest...am freaked out about bugs and saw they have the TAEXX in wall system.
After reading some of these posts, Westchase is sounding a little elitist. I will be making plenty of money and could afford a more expensive place, but want to save for a house and pay off some school loans. It's part of why I'm willing to move to the opposite corner of the country. I will already be feeling homesick enough without having to deal with unfriendly and unwelcoming people who might judge me--or my daughter--just because I might choose to live in Camden.
Is this what I can expect in Westchase?
Don't take what the cretins say too seriously. Like a lot of internet posters, they hide behind their screen and bluster and threaten but can't even make eye contact in the real world. Live where ever you want-don't let some internet blow hard tell you anything differently. If you do decide to rent at Camden, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you can leave at the end of your lease-unlike those in Westchase who are stuck with their underwater mortgages and have zero chance of getting out of them.

Personally, if I lived in Portland, there isn't enough money to get me to move to Tampa.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

Personally, if I lived in Portland, there isn't enough money to get me to move to Tampa.
They came up with enough money to get me to leave Portland and go to Tampa for a two year commitment--plus experience that will hopefully let me come back to the NW into a better position. But it took double my salary to do it

Camden just looks really attractive to me right now because it is new construction and affordable. And yes TimTimTim, it is running around 1K for a 1 bedroom. I'll eventually need to upgrade to a larger living space when my daughter moves down later in the year. Because of Camden's numerous lease options, I don't have to commit there for very long. I can see where that is good and bad for a community.

I certainly hope it won't turn out to be overrun with "low-lifes" as was mentioned. That's not the type of place I want to live--I'll be coming from a neighborhood where I don't lock my car at night or my doors during the day. I am not so naive that I think I can live that way in an apartment complex anywhere, but I was hoping Westchase would be safer than some...

Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,439,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
you guys act like these are ghetto appts, I havent even looked at prices but id bet that a 1 bedroom is pushing 1k a month.. Thats not going to be full of too many low lifes if you asked me.. Probably more military, younger couples (who make decent money) and people who move often for jobs.
Nobody here is acting like these are ghetto apartments right now. They're expensive now because they are new. The problem will be when they age. Most apartments drop in price as they get run down.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM

205 posts, read 249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWheart View Post
I certainly hope it won't turn out to be overrun with "low-lifes" as was mentioned. That's not the type of place I want to live--I'll be coming from a neighborhood where I don't lock my car at night or my doors during the day. I am not so naive that I think I can live that way in an apartment complex anywhere, but I was hoping Westchase would be safer than some...
You don't need to worry. Westchase is a good area. And I'm pretty sure that's not going to change instantly with the construction of one set of apartments. And if they're going for $1K for a 1br then I would guess that "lowlifes" will be staying away from that area and keeping more towards the $400-$500 rooms in Town n Country.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,920,246 times
Really? I hardly think anyone is going to think less of you because you live in Camden Westchase Park where apts start at almost 1K for a 1/1. There are Camden apts right down the road that start at $640 a month.
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...e-Park/178926/

I surely would not let one or 2 posters on an internet forum prevent me from renting in one of the better areas of Tampa.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,404,597 times
What is the big deal? You can actually buy a 1/1 condo in westchase at a reasonable price than these apartment prices. I am not sure if they will get people to pay that even. Camden or not market is market.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM

292 posts, read 531,740 times
Those Camden apartments are super expensive. They are unlike some of the other Camden properties around town. You know there are other huge apartment complexes already in Westchase right? Tuscany Bay? Preserve?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM

20,265 posts, read 12,132,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
There are already 2 apartment complexes in Westchase, one at west park village and another near racetrack rd...the difference being that these apartments were built with the community in mind. Not to line the developers pockets. The reason Camden is so horrible and hated is because they don't care what type of people live there or about the community impact they have. They only care about their bottom line. In turn, this causes them to be more lenient to renters, meaning renters with drug records, felonies, 5 kids, etc... who can barely pay the rent and moves out within 3 months or just scrapes by moves in to those buildings and they don't give two craps about the community they live in. Westchase is a tight knight community and I can guarantee you these renters don't pay ANY CDD fees or bonds to Hillsborough county on top of the higher tax rate that keep this place so pristine, so why the hell would they care if they litter, get in fights, steal, play loud music or vandalize??? This is the problem with Camden and the people it brings and why I am disappointed.

I wouldn't want you living here either, and before Camden came around I doubt you could afford it. There is a reason each resident pays over $4,000.00 more a year in taxes to be here, now thats gone thanks to big business...
<<I doubt you could afford it. >> What I can afford, you would be surprized- but I can afford not to live near people who look down at others with thier long noses. I do not approve of crime or civil disobedience or public nuisance, but to each his lot in life of what they can afford. There is plenty of drugs, drunks, wife beaters, con-men and other white collar crimes going on behind those tall gates, so please. Evil deeds have no boundaries, so stop looking down at your fellow man, like it cannot happen in your own neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay