U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,481,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
this causes them to be more lenient to renters, meaning renters with drug records, felonies, 5 kids, etc... who can barely pay the rent and moves out within 3 months or just scrapes by
You are lumping together people with drug records, felonies and people who have 5 kids together. Seriously, first of all, in a society such as ours that treats addicts like criminals, it doesn't take much to have a "drug record", Mitt Romney which i am guessing is your guy, has 5 kids, is he not allowed on Westchase. What exactly is vetting process to buy @ westchase, I am guessing a person could be a drug addict felon with five kids and still buy the house next to yours. What is wrong with getting by, a lot of people are just getting by nowadays, you are saying families who are willing to sacrifice, have a tighter budget, so they can afford the rent in a nicer area to give their kids a nicer school and neighborhood, you are looking down on those people.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,918,345 times
I've seen this exact scenario before numerous times in numerous metro areas and 95% of the time it signals the beginning of a decline for the area. Developers are always chomping at the bits to develop high density developments in good low density areas. They strike the iron while it's hot.

Unless you are within 5 minutes from downtown or a major university, you can almost guarantee that these apartments will lose a lot of their appeal once they become 15-20 years old. At that point, you'll just be lowering the standards for your area.

This is why people keep moving further and further out. *scratches Westchase off my list of potential moves*

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,803,210 times
If you don't like lotsa new development/complexes where you live, do NOT move to the suburbs! Stay in the city/urban core, where the price of real estate is a lot higher and there is a much smaller chance of an "apartment ghetto" being built in your community! Moving farther out is not the solution, moving farther in IS. There is always less of a chance of this kind of development in the urban areas where price of land is very high and it's much harder to build due to lot sizes.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,136,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
*scratches Westchase off my list of potential moves*
That's pretty ignorant.

You will not find a nicer, well kept area than Westchase in the entire Tampa Bay metro... bar none.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,677,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Those Camden apartments are super expensive. They are unlike some of the other Camden properties around town. You know there are other huge apartment complexes already in Westchase right? Tuscany Bay? Preserve?
no kidding, if your worried about ghetto in westchase go visit tuscany bay. The units in lake carlton arms are treated better than those things and half the price.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM

4,825 posts, read 3,481,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
That's pretty ignorant.

You will not find a nicer, well kept area than Westchase in the entire Tampa Bay metro... bar none.
Beach park, swann states, bayshore beautiful, Gulfport, parkland estates, New suburb, Virginia park, old Hyde park,Palma ceia

Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,136,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Beach park, swann states, bayshore beautiful, Gulfport, parkland estates, New suburb, Virginia park, old Hyde park,Palma ceia
Good luck finding a place in Beach Park, Swann Estates or Bayshore for under a million. Parkland Estates is close to that, so is Palma Ceia. And for all that money, you get inferiorly built old homes with rats, termites and worn out plumbing, outdated electrical, etc

Gulfport? you can have it... crime, scumbags and hood all around it

I would take the Westchase area over pretty much everywhere you mentioned unless you are prepared to spend high 6 to 7 figures for a home and are prepared to live in a neighborhood in evacuation zone A which floods every time it rains, and has awful stormwater and wastewater issues.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,696,969 times
Westchase looks ok, but I hate those planned communities. HOA fees, strict bylaws, mandatory color schemes-ugh,no thanks. I'll put up with the riff raff if that means I can mow my lawn when I want to or park a truck in my driveway. But, to each their own.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM

205 posts, read 249,033 times
Quote:
What the **** are you talking about? Apartment ghettos are being built downtown (old central park projects) as we speak, nice looking pieces of **** have been built all over the hood over the last 10 years. They are nice for about 6 months, then become ****boxes full of gutter slime
Well, that's optimistic. That whole area is being planned out similar in fashion to Channelside, and Channelside apartments certainly didn't become ghetto in 6 months. If I'm not mistaken I don't think anything around there is (or is planned to become) low-income housing except for one building. Even the nice apartments in Ybor are still nice themselves, they're just surrounded by a trashy area.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,918,345 times
Quote:
That's pretty ignorant.

Which is why it is prime for high density development. It would be ignorant to ignore what has happened in many other nice suburbs. The one I'm staying in right now was low density and was highly desired. People didn't even lock their doors here 15-20 years ago. Then they started developing small lot neighborhoods, condos, and apartments which were all upscale, expensive and nice. At first it was good, because with those added people came added businesses/conveniences.

Unfortunately, the value of apartments didn't hold up very well and they became a great place for lower socio-economic families. Nothing against them (I was at one time one) but for some reason they are statistically more prone to crime, neglect, and other unsavory things. When this happened, the schools declined and when that happened, the new educated families stopped flooding in. When that happened, the home values stopped going up and then the retail stores turned into dollar generals and check-in-to-cash places. The schools are overcrowded and they are now adding new property taxes for police patrol and to build new schools.

The best way to avoid this is to move into a more urban environment that is walkable and close to high-paying jobs, or the beach, and/or universities. This doesn't change the fact that developers can ruin nice suburbs. To deny that it happens is ignorant.

Last edited by things and stuff; 08-28-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay