Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM

315 posts, read 648,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Technically these apartments are not "IN" Westchase. I always see real estate agents and businesses trying to take advantage by saying they are IN Westchase when they are NOT. I believe West Park Village Apartments and Lexington Park are the only apartment complexes that are technically within the Westchase proper boundary lines. The other major Westchase "area" complexes lie just outside the boundaries or in Oldsmar, Town 'N Country or Citrus Park.

Now, this doesn't really mean much for the sake of any of the positions above given the proximaty but I did want to point out that I dont think these apartmetns are actually IN Westchase. I think the Westchase HOA/CDD should be more careful about how their name is used but not sure how they could do that.

No, they are in Westchase. People who own Townhouses across the street pay higher HOA fees for this development and across the street in Mandolin they do as well (and pay CDD fees on top). Are you telling me Mandolin is not part of Westchase?

The only time I really see this is people who live in Countryway; they will swear up and down they are Westchase but they DO NOT pay the fees we do. Also lifestyles fitness on Hillsborough calls iteself "Westchase", lol that is a joke as it is clearly TNC.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,629,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
This is an absolute and true statement. A lot of the people fighting on this one aren't from the area (obviously) or just do not have the funds to live in an "upscale" community, and looks down on anyone that wants to preserve their way of life.

Back in the year 2000, a developer decide to buy some land in a tiny suburb called Riverview, Florida. They wanted build an apartment complex similar to the Camden that has gone up in Westchase. I'm sure everyone from the area knows the "Bayou Crossing Apartments". Yep, these are now section 8 apartments.

Once upon a time, these apartments charged upwards of $950 for a one bedroom, they were nice when they were first built. But like anything that is rented, the renters stopped caring about the apartments as they would stay for 1 year and leave, and eventually these apartments became rundown and people stopped moving in. Since the rate was so high and these were nice, people could no longer pay so eventually the owners turned them into section 8 so they could fill their units. This ultimately brought the complex and surrounding areas down with it. Sound familiar?
Read this article for a look at what section 8 does to a neighborhood.
American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,120,822 times
Thanks, Sunnydee. I thought this was an interesting quote from the article:

"His paper compares two scenarios: a city split into high-poverty and low-poverty areas, and a city dominated by median-poverty ones. The latter arrangement is likely to produce more bad neighborhoods and more total crime, he concludes, based on a computer model of how social dysfunction spreads."

Depressing.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Read this article for a look at what section 8 does to a neighborhood.
American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic

this is exactly what Tampa is beginning to look like, sadly

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM

35,357 posts, read 20,722,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
"Whoever said money is the root of all evil doesnt have any"
The Bible said the LOVE of money
,,, so not sure your comment makes any points.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 AM

35,357 posts, read 20,722,137 times
CRAZYNIP- HISTORY shows that:
After the Great Depression, buying things on credit was a strictly avoided and if people didn't have the money to buy anything. Men traveled far search of better opportunities, and left families behind to fence for themselves. People were not able to pay back their debts and many were not able to pay their rents, forcing them to live in shantytowns, also known as "Hoovervilles" after President Hoover. A lot of people ate from soup kitchens and used newspapers as blankets. Life during the Great Depression was full of hopelessness and despair, and widespread racial and sexual discrimination didn't make the situation any better. To put food on the table, many poor people took to petty thefts and larceny. This caused an upsurge in the crime rate and police had to be on their tenterhooks all the time. Many people who found themselves penniless and homeless, took the extreme step of committing suicide. Single mothers forced themselves into prostitution to earn some money to have square meals for their family. People were desperately in need of government support and when it didn't come, they had no other choice than to indulge in anti-social activities..

so what were you saying??

Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The Bible said the LOVE of money
,,, so not sure your comment makes any points.
I wasnt even quoting the bible...so whats your point and my statement is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
CRAZYNIP- HISTORY shows that:......

...so what were you saying??
Secondly, I like how you spout all this "history" with no support to back it up. Was that just general knowledge? LOL

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Thanks, Sunnydee. I thought this was an interesting quote from the article:

"His paper compares two scenarios: a city split into high-poverty and low-poverty areas, and a city dominated by median-poverty ones. The latter arrangement is likely to produce more bad neighborhoods and more total crime, he concludes, based on a computer model of how social dysfunction spreads."

Depressing.
I found the article interesting. Although a middle age white guy waxing poetic about how wonderful Memphis was in the 60's is kind of one sided, I am sure if you ask a black lady in her sixties "middle-class whites lived peacefully alongside both city elites and working-class African Americans" is not what she recalls. Section 8 as a social experiment leaves a lot to be desired, I would say is the implementation of it more so than the theory. Poverty is also a mindset, moving people without providing support, in form of job training, child care etc is short sighted.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,593 times
Camden is a really good company for apartment rentals. They only do conventional so no income restricted/section 8. They are strict in their policies, but a lot of companies are. In all reality, Camden is a more ideal company to have in your area as opposed to another company that is crappy. I am not sure how it would ruin your area as they maintain their properties and the like...Camden is taking over though, they are very popular in this area.

-I am a property manager of an apartment community...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
-I am a property manager of an apartment community...

that makes sense..... We would rather see NO apartment complexes in Westchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay