U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I can guarantee you 100% of landlords do not follow that law. I didnt even know it existed. Having been on both sides of the fence (renter and landlord).

Has ANYONE, ever recieved notification of where a sec deposit was held by their landlord? The way I read this law, it seems to indicate that the landlord has to do this, like it's a part of some procedure

Knowing this, if one of my tenant asked me where I was holding their money, I would immediately begin finding a way to evict them. I dont need uppity tennants

As usual, your "guarantees"/"factual statements" do not hold water. My last LL did provide notification of where my security deposit was held (provided a copy of the deposit slip), he was an independent LL too with a rental house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,108,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
As usual, your "guarantees"/"factual statements" do not hold water. My last LL did provide notification of where my security deposit was held (provided a copy of the deposit slip), he was an independent LL too with a rental house.
Let me ask you this:

How many times in your LIFE have you rented? How many times have you been notified of this?

Case closed...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM

25,780 posts, read 38,999,165 times
Quote:
As a LL or property manager we don't have to show you any of that. A bank institution name and city is all that the law requires.

If there is a dispute and it goes to court a judge can demand proof of deposit and if a LL isn't able to produce than the judge will have an issue depending on what the claim is and why the tenant and LL are in court.

If the tenant damaged the place and the LL kept the security deposit and is able to show why the deductions are made and has proof of that and did it in a correct way than no judge will have an issue if the security deposit wasn't deposited in the right way BUT if the LL illegaly is with holding the deposit than it may be weighted way higher by a judge.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM

20,060 posts, read 12,036,753 times
I think I have signed some leases with that info on them- but again- apt complexes or rental management co. The law is there to protect the tenant, but again no questions will be asked unless they do not get their money back- then the laws can be used if you sue etc... I wonder if you think the LL will not ret the money or you simply a stickler of for rules and laws etc. I can tell you most private rentals- condos houses etc, probably just deposit the money in their personal accounts - know they have to give it up and do it with the next tenants depost! I am also willing to bet some do not even put this down as income on their IRS tax forms as it probably just pays the mtg.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I can tell you most private rentals- condos houses etc, probably just deposit the money in their personal accounts - know they have to give it up and do it with the next tenants depost! I am also willing to bet some do not even put this down as income on their IRS tax forms as it probably just pays the mtg.
I know I do that. It makes zero sense to not put the money in an interest bearing account. I had no idea there is a stupid law against it.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this:

How many times in your LIFE have you rented? How many times have you been notified of this?

Case closed...

Whatever - my point is you made a statement that 100% of Landlords do not follow this law... as if it was fact. Which is obviously.... incorrect.

I have rented 3 times in my LIFE... once in Florida. And by any sort of math.... if I had rented 5000 times and I did get this information only once.... it would still be less than 100% of the Landlords not following this law.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you 100% of landlords do not follow that law. I didnt even know it existed. Having been on both sides of the fence (renter and landlord).

Has ANYONE, ever recieved notification of where a sec deposit was held by their landlord? The way I read this law, it seems to indicate that the landlord has to do this, like it's a part of some procedure

Knowing this, if one of my tenant asked me where I was holding their money, I would immediately begin finding a way to evict them. I dont need uppity tennants
Gross misstatement of fact. I rented in 2010, and the bank name and account number for the escrow account was listed in the security deposit section of the lease.

I just pulled my copy of the lease to check it out.

If a tenant has a legal right to the information, it's hardly a matter of being "uppity". They have every right to ask - the issue here is that the security deposit is escrowed so that it is always available until the termination of the lease - in other words, so it doesn't get "spent" or otherwise "disappear".

Gotta watch out for those "uppity" landlords.

RM

Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Whatever - my point is you made a statement that 100% of Landlords do not follow this law... as if it was fact. Which is obviously.... incorrect.

I have rented 3 times in my LIFE... once in Florida. And by any sort of math.... if I had rented 5000 times and I did get this information only once.... it would still be less than 100% of the Landlords not following this law.
You take things too literally

Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
More misinformation.

Quote:
A landlord is under no requirement or obligation to give you any information as to where or whether or not he has deposited anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or