U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM

485 posts, read 849,241 times

Advertisements

Atmosphere in Charlotte more free, fun than Tampa - Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,147,324 times
They can suck it...

They do have one thing right, Tampa went "Eastern Bloc" when it came to security. That was embarrassing.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,609 posts, read 3,716,117 times
Having been involved with some of the planning process, I can assure you that no expense was spared to make sure that the "anarchists" would not disrupt the proceedings. Without any context, had you been in some of the meetings I was in you would have thought we were going to be attacked by a superpower.

It was really over the top, in my opinion.

There were constant references to the riots at the convention in St. Paul four years ago, followed by repetitive displays of YouTube video from it showing the anarchist trashing the place. With this as a point of reference, I can see why they were over zealous when it came to security.

One could argue that there were no problems as a result of this, too.

Since the Secret Service directed everything for the most part, I would expect the same to be true for Charlotte.

RM

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM

315 posts, read 553,746 times
is it really bashing if its the truth?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,411,236 times
That's the diference between a city on the rise and one.......

Here is one that took my attention also that was a no-brainer but shot down over here...

Quote:
"Rail is one of the main factors in turning Charlotte around," Ballard said. "Five years ago, Uptown was dead. Now there's always something going on."

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,272,080 times
Having attended the RNC on Wednesday, I had flashbacks to my year in Afghanistan with all the fencing and barriers. But I recognized it was a necessary evil to have all of that around the Forum. It was inconvenient getting into and out of the Forum but I'm happy that a repeat of St Paul didn't happen in Tampa.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM

71 posts, read 116,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
is it really bashing if its the truth?
I'm not anti-Tampa at all, but I have to admit in comparison to other cities for events like this Tampa can really pathetic. Here's hoping things get better.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
I'm not anti-Tampa at all, but I have to admit in comparison to other cities for events like this Tampa can really pathetic. Here's hoping things get better.
Same here.

Everyone makes fun of this city and everyone finds it hilarious (except Tamponians) like on the Daily Show when the announcer said "A city thats famous for........I wanna say Golf Courses". It was freakin hilarious but at the same time soo true. Wtf do we have? And its shameful how the TPD and HCSO react to this like we are entry level people meeting a CEO for the first time trying to kiss all kinds of a$$.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 AM

2,927 posts, read 1,823,905 times
I don't think it's fair for the Times to write (or people to say) that Tampa was a "desolate" city in comparison to Charlotte. The climate in Tampa is not acceptable for open-air activities in August. Come back in November and see the festivals, fairs, etc. beginning, while Charlotte freezes in gray skies.

I have no problem with the fences and 3 zillion law enforcement types and lockdown mode at the RNC.

We had 2 arrests.

Zero problems.

Success.

In addition, I would like to invite all those who can't find what's good about Tampa to please consider moving. There are many cities that are better than Tampa, so PLEASE MOVE TO ONE OF THEM. Leave Tampa to those of us who love it and are not interested in acting like pretentious blowhards who only like to complain that the grass is always greener elsewhere. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
...The climate in Tampa is not acceptable for open-air activities in August. Come back in November...

this could be the issue...everyone who moves here talks about how awesome it is in a vain attempt to justify their decision but will only appear outside 2-3months of the year. Thats why the Florida boards are so popular on this site.

Last edited by the awesomee; 09-04-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or