Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,630 times

Advertisements

I moved here about two months ago from DC... and I am glad to be away from DC however, I am becoming bored, and I want to meet other people around my age, mid 20's, esp single. I tried Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup in the past and took a peek here, but all I really have found is events and groups for people who are much older than myself or people who are couples, have kids, females, have pets, i.e. don't meet any of my demographic and I am open to almost anything just I am not terribly athletic so some of the competitive sports groups are way out of my league (no pun intended).

At work, everyone is married/or has kids, regardless of age or rank (I am military) so I have no one to hang with and I am becoming quite discouraged. I do live in the Brandon area but I'm just dead bored and want to meet other people. Events and Adventures I was told about, and even then I remember hearing about them in DC (I forgot about them for a minute) is a scam and a lot of people have said I should try it, just because they have heard about it on the radio. Sorry but I almost fell for it and actually no-showed the interview and blew them off and I have seen more than enough bad reviews.

I was told to go to the club or the bar, welp I don't drink. I don't drink because when I do I become all angry and a complete vulgar mess so that is why I avoid it. Nothing against anyone who does drink, it's just not my thing.

I've looked for volunteer groups but I'm not really seeing anything. Nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone - getting out there, meeting people and helping out but I'm not seeing anything but I might be looking in the wrong places, anyone have any suggestions? My weekends kinda suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Learn to fish

Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
david if i were you... Examine what you love.. Hobbies and go to an area where people are doing them.

Thats the best way to meet people.

Get into a weekly group of some sort,

Heres an idea, Go to the USF website and look at university activities going on.. They typically have lots of stuff for students that the public can attend also..

Try going to some stuff affiliated with the UNiversity, should be able to make friends that way.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,630 times
In the past two months, I've spent my weekends driving around putting miles on my car or spending time around the house. It just sucks that everyone I work with is married and/or has kids so I have no one to hang with from work and it's getting depressing. I'm not really looking for a relationship tho. Yeah, it would be nice and I tried online dating in DC and I tried it a bit here - I'll be honest I have a little bit here, I'm not any better off and I want to vomit thinking about it. I'll give a serious look into fishing...heard licenses are cheap and possibly free for military (heard something at work of all places). DC really wasn't much better.

As for USF, I'll check out USF to see what events they may offer but I am not too hopeful, even tho I am not a student.... I was in that area over the weekend, ate at Jasons Deli and the cashier thought I was a student, haha. Maybe when my enlistment is up in a few years I should consider getting out and going to school? By that time I'll be 28 but I guess I still fit in the demographic.

I've tried meetup, but again unless you are like 35+ or meet some of the demographics, it is slim pickings: I'm not a female (no offense to women but there are a lot of groups for women), I don't have kids, I'm not in a relationship, I don't have a pet, I don't have a motorcycle, I don't play sports, or have some experience with what the group is for, so I'd show up really out of place (dancing, photography, investing money, etc) and I am sure I could go on but I'll stop. I enjoy computers and out of all of the groups that could apply to me... they were all related to hacking and really not on my level. I know there are some singles groups but a lot of them aren't straight up with the ages, and I want to meet people my age.... everyone I know in the military at my age is too busy trying to get married, or has a spouse and/or kids. There was a little bit more with DC tho with the site.

I don't know. I'd look on base to see what events are out there but all events are for if you have families, and kids. So, I'll look at USF but very doubtful here.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 AM

205 posts, read 293,793 times
I hear ya. This area isn't the best for young people, especially if you're not into the bar/club scene.

You could always volunteer at USF itself. You'd be sure to meet younger people, at least.
Volunteer Services- University of South Florida

You could also pick a local rec center and sign up for an adult softball league, or basketball league, or whatever other kind of community activity they have. At best you'll meet some cool people, at worst it would give you something to do on weekends.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Maybe you could find an interesting group to join
Meetups near Tampa, Florida - Meetup

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
If you are part of the military, I am surprised there is nothing on base for singles, maybe you should try and start something, you cant be the only single on there? HOw about sport clubs on base? I am sorry I am not familiar with the place. I did a quick google for single and MacDill - thats an assumption I know that you are there... but this is apparently open to all forces... http://www.macdillfss.com/images/All...rmen_Sep12.pdf good luck to you, it's hard to start out on your own in a strange place
thank you for your service for the USA

Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,216 times
You're halfway there. You know where to meet people (meetup groups, young professional groups, charities, church if you're religious), but you're too focused on the demographics of the other attendees. A big part of networking is meeting the people that the other attendees know, not just the attendees. So, even if the event doesn't seem perfect, still go. Cast a wide net. And then follow up with the people you meet, invite yourself to stuff, even if that's normally a little rude, and ask people to do stuff with you. FWIW, I'd recommend golf. Most 30-something guys enjoy playing and can find 2 friends to round out a foursome. Even if I'm not your cup of tea, maybe one of the guys I bring is.

I'd also strongly recommend that you move from Brandon to someplace where folks your age w/o kids live. It is very difficult to commute to meet people, and, even if you do, you'll miss out on a lot of things because you're out in Brandon. We had the same locational problem when we first moved to the bay area. We were the rogue young couple in a beach community. Once we moved to St. Pete -- only 15 minutes away from where we were living -- meeting people our age was easy because we had boots on the ground. If you don't fit in Brandon, move somewhere you do fit.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 AM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
My suggestions:

1. Move out of Brandon and find an apartment or condo in Hyde Park. Your BAH will cover your rent and your quality of life will improve significantly.

2. Enroll at University of Tampa and start completing your undergraduate degree. Since it is a private school, they are more likely to accept transfer credits and they have evening courses. You can start completing credits now while you are still on active duty and reduce the burden when your enlistment is up. Why haven't you been completing credits now? You have no excuse because I was able to do it when I was on active duty.

3. There are plenty of single soldiers at MacDill. Use the next enlisted session to identify single soldiers and suggest an event.

4. Check out TAG (Tampa Adventure Group). It's a fun event for all demographics that gets you to meet plenty of people.

5. Sign up for local recreation leagues. Plenty of private leagues provide flag football, softball, etc.

6. Avoid drinking if it's not for you especially if it is causes problems.

You just need to occupy your time other than work. Don't stress it too much and you'll get out of this slump if you take my suggestions into consideration.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM

296 posts, read 658,331 times
Don't move to Hyde Park because its all bars around there you will hate the crowds at night, especially if you don't drink.. Try Westchase, its a younger crowd, young families mixed with recent college grads etc.

Golf, Fish, hit the beach, all the things that make Tampa great. Get out of Brandon, that screams boredom.

Play any sports? Check out tampabayclubsport.com. Sign up for something there, good way to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay