Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
IT IS FRICKEN HOT - That is why. I went twice last year and the afternoon game was almost unbearable. Night Game vs Dallas was later in the year and was very good.

They need to go to night games for the first couple of home games or are going to have this problem until they pipe A/C all around the stadium.

Still definitately too bad they are blacked out. Hate to 'see' that.
I totally agree, it' just too hot and humid out. They should have made that stadium enclosed with AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 AM

315 posts, read 651,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It's the economy stupid...
Yea right, if that were so I wouldn't see 5 series BMWs and Escalades pulling into some of the worst apartment complexes in town, lol. Point is, If people REALLY wanted to go they would find a way. If some miracle happens and the Bucs got on a playoff run, watch how the "economy" fixes itself over night....

Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Yea right, if that were so I wouldn't see 5 series BMWs and Escalades pulling into some of the worst apartment complexes in town, lol. Point is, If people REALLY wanted to go they would find a way. If some miracle happens and the Bucs got on a playoff run, watch how the "economy" fixes itself over night....
Those are drug dealers cars that are at dumps like that.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
It's a little easier to get financing on a car you cant afford than to buy tickets when your credit cards are maxxed out.

The bucs never had problems selling out when:
1. they were good
AND
2. when the economy wasnt in the ****ter

The bucs have not had any good teams since we won the super bowl, we have had 1 playoff appearance (loss) and only like 1 or 2 winning seasons, we were ****ing HORRID last year

I have lived here most of my life. Endured losing season after losing season from 1980 to 1996. Back then the ONLY games we sold out were Green Bay and Chicago Bears games. Pretty much my entire life, I never got to watch bucs home games on TV until 1996 when we got good in Dungy's second year. You transplants or new / young people might not realize the history of the bucs, but this is not a "new" thing for us...

Our owners have been historically about the worst in the league. Culverhouse was an awful owner and the Glazers are turning out to be just as bad.

Remember, only half the teams are playing at home this week, watch in the coming weeks, the likes of Jacksonville, San Diego and Atlanta will likely not be selling out

Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
I've been to a few games in September and it was brutally hot and humid. Its pretty rough with the hot, blinding sun in your face after a few beers(lol). All home games should all be played in the evening until November.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
The NFL was kind enough to move a few starting times to 4 pm - usually a time reserved for the better teams for nationally televised games.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Not enough big names. They've had the problem before but Bill Currie or some other big company would by the remaining to get them on the air.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:09 PM

147 posts, read 354,402 times
I can't believe that the entire Tampa/St Pete area has so any "girly-men". Most, if not all of the transplants come from colder climates - I have froze my butt off watching the Giants (at the Meadowlands as well as the old Yankee Stadium) and the Jets (at Shea). I'll take the heat and humidity any day. It just isn't the Bucs, just look at the amount of empty seats at the Trop and the Rays went to the playoffs last year and very well could do it again this year. It isn't the cost because we just went to a Yankee game in the Bronx - the seats were almost $100 each (and that was with a limited view in right field), beers were $14 a pop, a hot dog was about $5 and parking was $35. I figure it cost us close to a $600 for four seats, lunch at the Court Deli, a few beers at the Yankee tavern adding in the Stadium costs. Oh and there were 45,000 that went to the game which was on a very hot July afternoon.
There must be some sort of magical "noxious gas" that strips all males in the Tampa/St Pete area of their testosterone. I'm neither a Rays or Bucs fan but would love to live in an area where I could afford to attend a pro game (either football or baseball) without having to take out a second mortgage.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 AM

205 posts, read 293,709 times
Boy was it disheartening to see ~17K at the Trop last night. Two of the best two teams in the AL playing each other in September with playoff implications, on a SATURDAY, and 17K showed up.

Still, I don't think people know how few fans these teams cater to. People see a 4 million metro area and go "Well, they should be able to draw fans." Well, only a fraction of those people are natives, and therefore, only a fraction of them root for regional teams. Additionally, the area is spread wayyyyy too thin. When 80% of the population has to drive more than 30 mins to a game (esp baseball), it really limits how many people can go. Add in the economic downturn, and boom, 50K at a Bucs game and 17K at a Rays game.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We have some of the same problems here in Jacksonville with the Jaguars, we are also the lowest valued and least popular NFL team according to reports.

Check the link out below.......that is the hard facts for the future. Believe it or not the writing is on the walls.

Opinion: Sorry NFL, technology just makes football better on TV | Digital Trends

PS: over the years the Jags cut down on the instant replay and what our rivals were doing on the big screen in favor of advertising. Now I head to my buddies house where a few of us get together with some food and drink that don't break us and watch the game on a 60 inch LED with the NFL package. If we miss something......the DVR is there for us. Technology is changing the face of so many things.

And yes the NFL has realized that they have a problem and are scrambling to counter this trend before it is to late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay