Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times

Advertisements

WOW!
St. Petersburg applies for permit to demolish Pier - Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
It's crumbling, they have to do something.

Consider this: The city of st. pete is in horrible financial state, this year they came up with a new tax, specifically for fire service. So on top of your property tax, you have to pay for ****ing fire service...

The pier is crumbling and will fall into the bay "gandy bridge" style, so they have to do something. The pier itself (not the inverted pyramid, but the superstructure) dates back to the 1910's, it has outlived it's usefulness and is not cost effective to fix.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM

WOW x2 I didn't know it was that old!!! Didn't they renovate the pyramid part somewhat recently?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
WOW x2 I didn't know it was that old!!! Didn't they renovate the pyramid part somewhat recently?
St. Petersburg Pier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They might have spruced it up, but renovation may be a stretch...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 PM

119 posts, read 253,440 times
I just oved here in April and fell in love with The Pier....and then we found out they're gonna tear it down...I hope the replacement has just as beautiful scenery where we can go sit, listen to music, and watch the gorgeous sunset...oh, and the pelicans...love them!!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrn2112 View Post
I just oved here in April and fell in love with The Pier....and then we found out they're gonna tear it down...I hope the replacement has just as beautiful scenery where we can go sit, listen to music, and watch the gorgeous sunset...oh, and the pelicans...love them!!
Watch a sunset... from the pier?

You're on the wrong side of the Pinellas county peninsula for that unless you like a view of downtown

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
I do not like the eye... looks like a landing for aliens or something. If it is only place to walk- tourism will die quickly..

Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Watch a sunset... from the pier? You're on the wrong side of the Pinellas county peninsula for that unless you like a view of downtown
Not sure if you've been, but the bar at the end of the pier is a nice place for sunset. Normally a good breeze, nice view, and live music. The food is bad, but grabbing a sunset cocktail is a (and the only) good reason to go to the pier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I do not like the eye... looks like a landing for aliens or something. If it is only place to walk- tourism will die quickly..
They picked the Lens, not the Eye. It's ugly, too, but not any uglier than the current pier. There doesn't appear to be a bar on the end of the new pier, so obviously inferior in that respect. I don't think tourism can get any worse, though.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Default This why nothing ever gets done!

Another group forms to block current plan for new St. Petersburg Pier - Tampa Bay Times

This would look so AWESOME! Why are these OLD PEOPLE keep BLOCKING development?????????? WHY?

This looks FANTASTIC:
New Pier Plan - The Lens

"Its out of character?" what character? 10% older homes, and then 75% crack town? R U Kidding me? This would be by Beach drive where there are a Bunch of other condo buildings! it would fit right in!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 PM

It's a colossal waste of money. The city of st. pete is BROKE. They are so broke to the point that they recently enacted a new tax for FIRE SERVICE. That's right... pay up or your house burns down

They cant afford a new pier, especially of the 3 finalists, they were ALL over budget.

The city was too ****ing stupid to put budget constraints into their request for proposals for the new pier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay