Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

353 posts, read 802,468 times

Advertisements

Regarding the negative comments about South Tampa: Everyone has a strong opinion about where they live and everyone is an "expert" on this or that neighborhood. The only way for the OP to determine the best area for his family is to visit the various neighborhoods/cities several times. Even then that may not be enough, and he may have to rent first. I do not recommend buying at first, I recommend renting. Unless you buy in South Tampa or another very desirable area where houses sell very quickly, it will be hard to unload the house later if you don't like it.

There's a lot of haters when it comes to South Tampa. My neighbor once told me she used to be a big "South Tampa hater". She used to bash it, say it was overrated, etc. Then when she got sick of her commute, and when she realized that everything is very geographically convenient to South Tampa, she moved there, and she bought one of those "nasty" "old" "small" houses. She's never been happier, she says everything is a reverse commute from South Tampa, every store is minutes away, it's close to the roads, airport, etc. Very low crime. It's a gorgeous area, very quiet. And she realized that she bashed it because she secretly wanted to live there but couldn't afford it. I would guess that applies to many people on this board. They bash it, but they secretly wish they could live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
there are parts all over the bay that flood worse than South Tampa, other than a few streets with some water, the flooding is minimal
not sure if srs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I would guess that applies to many people on this board. They bash it, but they secretly wish they could live there.

not sure if srs.....

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM

205 posts, read 293,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I'm sorry that you continue to get ripped off.

I'm not talking about high-profile, high demand games (you used the Yankees as your example? Give me a break). FloridaKash is a smart shopper -- same day game tickets are usually available on StubHub for most games for $2-7 each, and including the service fees, come out to $4-9 a ticket if you are buying a 4-pack. At times, prices will actually fall below a buck. I buy on StubHub for about 1/3 of the Rays games and recently scored front row seats behind the dugout for $20 each (and got to see myself on the game highlights). Try getting that deal in Boston or New York.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that 99% of Tampa Bay residents can afford $20 or $30 a few times a year to take the family to a game and bring in a cooler of food if they want. I'm not sure where you live or hang out, but you are confusing Florida with a third world country.
You know, I defend the area a lot when it comes to attendance, but even I have to admit that a lot of Tampa fans are just really apathetic when it comes to getting off your butt and going to a game. I guarantee you that a lot of fans are using finances as a reason to worm their way out of being called a "bad fan." As soon as things get even a tiny bit difficult for us ("drive is too long," "it's too much gas," and my personal favorite "dome is too ugly") then we turn our nose up and just watch on TV. Every person gives a different excuse, which shows it's more of a problem with the attitude of the fanbase in general.

I mean, look at Minnesota. They have an awful team but they pack that stadium just about every day. I doubt Minneapolis/St. Paul is a larger metro area than this one. And it's not like their houses are made of gold and ours are made of mud.

And in a lot of northern cities, people drive 3-4 hours to see a game. Granted, we don't have the history of the Yankees or Red Sox as motivation for that, but I still laugh at people sometimes that complain about it taking 45 minutes to get to a game.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
there are many people that could easily afford south tampa, its not like its manhattan or SF expensive, but these people take their money to places like Avila, Feather Sound, Tierra Verde, Westchase, etc etc. Not all people are suckers for a 1930s nasty old home for 600k, they just buy something 100x's nicer on the water in tierra verde or a lil north in Avila. As for attendance at Rays or Bucs games the problem is twofold. Almost no one is from here so most could care less about the local teams and the area is unbelievably economically depressed. Add that people live spread out all over a huge geographic area and it makes for a terrible sports town, Miami/Ft lauderdale is even worse

Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
"And she realized that she bashed it because she secretly wanted to live there but couldn't afford it. I would guess that applies to many people on this board. They bash it, but they secretly wish they could live there."

Nice strawman. I've got a friend who bashes Detroit, but think he secretly wishes he could live there.

I openly wish I could live in C'wood or Lutz, but the commute to where I work would be out of the question.

I really don't care where the OP decides to live, that's their business. They said the work opportunity would be in Riverview. It's just my opinion that the commute from ST to R'view wouldn't be quite as easy as it's portrayed, but maybe coming from Atlanta, it would seem like a cakewalk. I wouldn't want to do it. If I worked in Tampa proper, then maybe South Tampa would make sense. I rather like funky Seminole Heights, but South Tampa is safer.

Best advice is indeed rent, don't buy, until you're more familiar with the area.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
otherwise i'd say forget south tampa, its the most overrated place ive ever seen
Ain't that the truth...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
Some of you people don't get it. "South Tampa" is colloquially the Hyde Park and Palma Ceia areas. They are the neighborhoods that people are referring to when they mention "South Tampa" in that context. They are also the neighborhoods that provide the best quality of life in Tampa since everything is geographically close to it without the problems that other neighborhoods can have. I'm willing to pay in rent what I could buy in Riverview because the benefits of living in S. Tampa appeal to me. Is it right for everyone? Absolutely not but it's right for enough people that it retains its value.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
I'm sure South Tampa is nice. I have lived in Tampa Bay for 2 years now and have never made it to South Tampa yet. Someday I'll check it out. I'm sure its a great place to live and has its own lifestyle. But right now, my family and I are enjoy the 'Wood!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
"my family and I are enjoy the 'Wood!"

The 'Wood is awesome!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"my family and I are enjoy the 'Wood!"

The 'Wood is awesome!
The "Wood" is bang-for-the-buck! Yeah, I don't live there, but it's at the top of my list (after Palma Ceia) for best nabes in Tampa that I would totally live in should we ever relocate to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay