U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,853 posts, read 3,040,303 times

Advertisements

Carmax serves a portion of the market who chooses not to deal with all the stupid stealership games. Yes, you pay more, but there are some advantages to do so for those who want the convenience of buying without hassle. Also, if you want a specific model/color/type of vehicle, if the stealership or CL doesn't have it, Carmax might have one in their system, which can be shipped here for a small transfer fee.

One absolute when buying a used car: ALWAYS get a PPI (prepurchase inspection) from an independent source. Yes, it will cost you some money to do so, but after you get it done you'll know that either the car is as represented, and if not, what it needs to be brought up to snuff. It makes for a good negotiating tool as well. Also, if a seller balks at your having a PPI done, you know to run away!

I have never bought a used car without a PPI, and it was always money well spent. If you take it to a dealer, most will charge you around $80 for a PPI. You'll get a lengthy inspection form detailing the condition of the car's mechanical condition (cosmetics are not part of a PPI) and often a cost of any repairs that might be required.

You'll know to walk at this point or start negotiating, using the information in the PPI. Some would complain about "wasting" the money if the car is a mess, but think of it this way: you spent maybe $80 and saved yourself hundreds, if not thousands, in repair costs.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,122,074 times
^ Great point on inspection. Same here. I don't buy a used car without that. It is money well spent.

I will add though it doesn't have to be an independent, take it to the dealer. In fact, I prefer the dealer (note: this is not the same palce that you are buying the car). They know their car better than anybody. Just an example, if you buy a volovo (I pulled out of thin air), the volvo dealer will know better about key parts that need to be repalces at a given milage and what to look for than a random independent shop.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
^ Great point on inspection. Same here. I don't buy a used car without that. It is money well spent.

I will add though it doesn't have to be an independent, take it to the dealer. In fact, I prefer the dealer (note: this is not the same palce that you are buying the car). They know their car better than anybody. Just an example, if you buy a volovo (I pulled out of thin air), the volvo dealer will know better about key parts that need to be repalces at a given milage and what to look for than a random independent shop.
Just to clarify, when I said "independent source" that applied to anyone who wasn't involved in the sale of the vehicle. If you have a trusted independent shop you use, great. You can also use the dealership of the marque, as I prefer to do - they know the car far better than any independent does in most cases, mainly because they see them all the time.

RM

Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,132,657 times
Never purchased from Carmax. Do they allow their vehicles to be PPI'd? They claim to do a 135-point check or something like that. BTW, noticed somewhere on their site that they list the prices after a $3000 trade-in. Seems kind of misleading to price with the trade-in calculated. Makes the price seem lower than it actually is.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,815,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Stay away from Dealers. Goto www.carmax.com
LOL!!! Do you think Carmax is any less of a dealer with sub-standard mechanics? Think again. Their "comprehensive" inspections cover no more than your average used lot mechanic.

I'm sure if you google around you'll find stories of people selling them lemons, but I've also experienced it personally. My old roommate modified his stock WRX to the point where it was a track-ready monster, then beat the ever-loving **** out of it for 40,000 miles. Eventually he grew tired of it and wanted another project. He and I put the entire car back to stock (not an easy or quick task) and drove it to carmax. They said the car looked good and made him an offer that was $2000 over any dealer offer. I guess the mechanics didn't see the scratches where the race cage was mounted, or the zip ties holding the front bumper on, or a million other clues as to the car's history.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 AM

3,366 posts, read 7,485,494 times
I shopped at CarMax, bought at AutoWay Clearwater Honda. Carmax didn't have the car I wanted with the options I was looking for. Ha, in fact the sales guys tried really hard, "You know, we can get leather put in this car." Really? Buy a used car and then pay to have leather put into it? I think it would have been about $2K+ to have AFTERMARKET leather put in.

I found CarMax prices high and their extra protection program they try to push on you a little overstated. It is a good dealer with lots of different cars available and there is no haggling. Also, when test driving the various cars of the same make, model and year it was apparent that, just like any dealer, some of their cars are not in good shape. (Hint: They know this and typically price it accordingly - but not always).

I found a car I liked online at AutoWay Clearwater (off of US-19). The price online was great. I called, showed up, test drove it, looked at the CarFax and agreed to pay the price that they offered it online (it was a good deal already, I didn't want to be there all night negotiating). We did have to go back and forth just a little bit. They offered me too little for my trade in saying it needed new tires which took $600 off the value. I laughed and told them those were brand new tires and being 13" tires we all know you can get 4 for $100 installed. He went back to the manager and they raised the value of the trade $600.

Then they came back with a high interest rate on financing. Again, I laughed and said..."Really? Come on... $4K down with $2000 in trade along with a GOOD credit score and you are coming back with 13% interest?" They came back with a much more agreeable interest rate.

I was happy with my trade in. It was an early 2000's 2 door bare bones Hyundai Accent, that I had purchased for $2K cash 2 years ago and was pretty much dying. I would have been happy to get $1000 out of it, so $2K was great. Buying experience was good, I was in and out in about 2 hours.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,652,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Carmax is a dealer. And what's worse, you can't haggle with them on the price. I can always get a dealer to come down in price some. Carmax has a 'take it or leave it' price policy. They would be my last resort when it comes to buying a car.

But i've always gotten the best deals by buying from private individuals.
Precisely. No haggling with Carmax. Even if you get the dealer to come down in price - you will never know how low you could have gone!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Never purchased from Carmax. Do they allow their vehicles to be PPI'd? They claim to do a 135-point check or something like that. BTW, noticed somewhere on their site that they list the prices after a $3000 trade-in. Seems kind of misleading to price with the trade-in calculated. Makes the price seem lower than it actually is.
Yes, they will allow you to PPI a car. Keep in mind that dealers often offer some sort of "Platinum inspection" or something to that effect, much the same as CarMax does. You have to be careful, as I have heard that some local dealers will not inspect a Carmax car for whatever reason I don't know. Must be some bad blood there.

As far as I am concerned, if a seller, be they private or a dealer, won't let you PPI a used car, RUN as if your hair was on fire.

RM

Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM

883 posts, read 1,887,280 times
Default Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Carmax serves a portion of the market who chooses not to deal with all the stupid stealership games. Yes, you pay more, but there are some advantages to do so for those who want the convenience of buying without hassle. Also, if you want a specific model/color/type of vehicle, if the stealership or CL doesn't have it, Carmax might have one in their system, which can be shipped here for a small transfer fee.

One absolute when buying a used car: ALWAYS get a PPI (prepurchase inspection) from an independent source. Yes, it will cost you some money to do so, but after you get it done you'll know that either the car is as represented, and if not, what it needs to be brought up to snuff. It makes for a good negotiating tool as well. Also, if a seller balks at your having a PPI done, you know to run away!

I have never bought a used car without a PPI, and it was always money well spent. If you take it to a dealer, most will charge you around $80 for a PPI. You'll get a lengthy inspection form detailing the condition of the car's mechanical condition (cosmetics are not part of a PPI) and often a cost of any repairs that might be required.

You'll know to walk at this point or start negotiating, using the information in the PPI. Some would complain about "wasting" the money if the car is a mess, but think of it this way: you spent maybe $80 and saved yourself hundreds, if not thousands, in repair costs.

RM
ABOVE....this is very good advice.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
as soon as i got to this page i saw BOND AUTO advertising at top >>> NEVER buy a car from BOND auto. crooks! they capitalize on whatever your vulnerability is, and TAKE YOU TO THE BANK as they sell you a piece of crap. my sister bought my niece her very first car there - she went to them because unfortunately she doesnt have the best credit - and while it would be far too lengthy to share all that's gone wrong with that car, I will say she breaks down ALL the time, so I just bought her a AAAmembership (the thought of my lil 18 yr old niece on the side of the road was too much bear, and was happening far too often). they do not sell cars that are in good shape, and they all they care about is MONEY (23% interest on car sold to my sister). now, let me get this right, she already has bad credit, so now she has to pay 23% more for a car??? a car that wasnt worth the base price they were asking in the first place?? UNBELIEVABLE! (yes, my sis should have had the car checked by a mechanic, et. etc. etc., but STILL... they sold her a SAFETY HAZARD!!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay