Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,471 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My wife and I and 3 children, (twins age 6-1/2 and 3-1/2-year-old) are considering relocating from Westchester County, New York to South Tampa. We love the area, neighborhoods, stores and overall atmosphere of this part of town. We are obviously confronting the reality that the lot sizes are very small with very small yards, if any, to speak of. As it is now, we have the luxury (and relief) of letting them run around in a spacious backyard where they burn off their energy. While we are ready to accept the sacrifice of the 2 acres we have now for other amenities of living in Tampa, we wonder where our children would play on a regular basis if we do move. If someone has an eighth of an acre or less, which does not seem uncommon, where do children play outside in this section of town? Do they play on the street (which would feel refreshing in away but I would be concerned about safety) Are the playgrounds abundant? Are there country clubs or local parks that absorb their activity? In the meantime, we are researching the local public elementary schools, (some of which, surprisingly, will not allow any outside visits or tours for prospective parents/families) and their associated facilities in the hope of answering some of these questions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
calmdoc, I grew up in Westchester and had lots of room to roam where I lived when I was a kid. We had a large property next to public nature property, so I was very fortunate. And my friends who lived in neighborhoods with smaller lots tended to play on the streets and sidewalks and also played house to house. When I moved to Florida in 1980, the smaller lot sizes were sort of a shock to me, and I didn't see much playing in the neighborhood streets like in Westchester. So I understand your concerns.

I hope someone answers your question, I'd be curious to know the answer to that. Over here in East Hillsborough, it seems like most activities for kids are organized around the schools, churches or sports-oriented clubs, or in some cases the homeowners associations of some communities. I don't have children, this is just based on observation and what I've heard, so I hope some parents respond.

Also the natural environment is very different in Florida than Westchester. The grass is generally stiffer and not soft like up North. And even if it was, you can't sit on it or roll around on it, because it tends to be loaded with fire ants and if it isn't, it's too toxic from pesticides and fertilizer. So a lot of times kids may not want to even play in their yard. Not to mention for six months of the year the heat, humidity and storms are not conducive to extended outdoor play, unless there's a pool or beach involved.

A buddy of mine from up North once remarked that much of the plant life here in Florida tended to be rather sharp and bristly compared to where he was from.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 AM

83 posts, read 141,427 times
Yeah, surprisingly, despite the weather being conducive to bring outside most of the year here ( as opposed to frigid winters) I find south Tampa is not about an outdoor lifestyle for children. It is a city. There aren't a bunch of expansive green spaces that promote activity in south tampa, save a few small parks, and maybe the riverfront by the children's museum. The traffic is too terrible to let kids play in the street, and you really don't want to let them out of your sight anyway. There are too many sketchy people, pedophiles, etc here to feel good about doing that. Again this is a city. If growing up in a wholesome environment with lots of space to roam is important to you, do not come here. One of the reasons we are leaving is because I want my kids to love being outdoors, exploring nature and getting their hands dirty, and being exhausted from running around in the fresh air all day!

Stay where you are or find a city in the mid Atlantic that values its green space if its the winters you are trying to escape.

Last edited by Marielamb; 09-16-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I love love Westchester County, you are in for some serious relocation shock!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but none of the above people who have replied to your post live in South Tampa. I do. And I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old. My relatives all live in South Tampa. Some of them have kids. We take the kids to parks, we go to the beach, museums, etc. (all of which is very convenient to South Tampa), but mostly, the kids play in the backyard or in the front yard or the street, just like kids in other neighborhoods. You may want to consider buying or renting a house with a pool. You also need to do your research and take your time to find a neighborhood and street that is quiet and traffic-free for the kids to play in. It took me 2 years to find my house. You cannot get impatient when house-hunting in South Tampa. You have to keep looking.

South Tampa neighborhoods with a park in its boundaries:

Virginia Park
Beach Park
Palma Ceia
Hyde Park
Ballast Point

I'm sure I am forgetting some. Tampa as a general rule is sorely lacking in the parks area; St. Petersburg and Pinellas County in general have A LOT more parks than Tampa. If green space is important you may wanna look there.

In addition, the claims about bad traffic, pedophiles, lack of space is a claim that can be made about any major city in the United States. Children in most major cities in the U.S. are all dealing with the same issues. My best friend in DC (3 kids) has the same exact issues, except she has homeless men peeing on her rose bushes in her 800,000 dollar rowhouse.

PS: Comparing a mid-Atlantic winter to a Tampa winter is hilarious. I lived in MD for 2 decades and there's most certainly NOT a warm winter to be had there! In fact, some years we had more snow than my friends in New York. And we certainly had a lot more ice storms.

Last edited by sinatras; 09-16-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmdoc View Post
[SIZE=3]My wife and I and 3 children, (twins age 6-1/2 and 3-1/2-year-old) are considering relocating from Westchester County, New York to South Tampa. We love the area, neighborhoods, stores and overall atmosphere of this part of town. We are obviously confronting the reality that the lot sizes are very small with very small yards, if any, to speak of. As it is now, we have the luxury (and relief) of letting them run around in a spacious backyard where they burn off their energy. While we are ready to accept the sacrifice of the 2 acres we have now for other amenities of living in Tampa, we wonder where our children would play on a regular basis if we do move. If someone has an eighth of an acre or less, which does not seem uncommon, where do children play outside in this section of town? Do they play on the street (which would feel refreshing in away but I would be concerned about safety) Are the playgrounds abundant? Are there country clubs or local parks that absorb their activity? In the meantime, we are researching the local public elementary schools, (some of which, surprisingly, will not allow any outside visits or tours for prospective parents/families) and their associated facilities in the hope of answering some of these questions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. [/SIZE]
I think there is a misconception about South Tampa not being a family oriented place. First off, kids do play in the street, my kids included, there isn't a lot of through traffic, there is stop signs and street bumps throughout. I check on them every so often, so do the neighbors on their kids, if i see something ill call my neighbors and so do they. I live a couple of blocks away from a playground, most afternoons you will see parents with their children walking to the playground. Like any parent I am concerned about their safety, I understand how horrible it must be to have something happen to your kids, but the odds are so small, and out of those cases close to 90% are by family members. One of the kids on my block wears a gps bracelet, on my wife request we have a couple of cameras facing out from our house recording to a hard drive.
At any rate, we have playgrounds, there is 3 athletic complexes close by, there is an amazing extremely well supported little league, the Y is a good resource for the rainy days. The schools are all great, from k-12 which is something other areas can't boast. Its a small community I always run into the same people, including my kids teachers and their kids.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 AM

I do live in south Tampa, as do most of my friends. I was just addressing the OPs concerns. I think we can agree about south Tampa lacking in green space and parks. Kids will adapt to play anywhere, and here is no exception, but of the OP is looking to have an experience where the kids spend most of their free time outside, this is not the place.

I agree this is a city, and deals with all the other problems bigger cities have, including having to worry more about your kids around strangers. I'm not saying it has more pedophiles or crazies than other cities, but I would not feel safe with my kids in the front yard all by themselves. A GPS bracelet? Cameras recording to hard drive? Why- so you can replay watching your kids get taken? I don't get that.

I was just sensing from the OPs original message that he is not going to find what he is looking for here in regards to just letting the kids out the back door to blow off steam. I think a pool is very helpful to deal with the 6 months of heat down here, but that brings a whole new set of concerns with kids.

And Maryland winters vs. New York? I have not lived in either place, but going from Chicago to Virginia, I can tell you the Virginia winters are GREAT! Just enough cold to enjoy the holidays and have a change of seasons, but pretty much spring starting in March. I can't imagine the OP can say that about his winters...but of course Tampa winters are warmer than Maryland winters. Here there IS no winter! I also don't want my kids growing up all soft, bitching and moaning anytime the temp drops below 65 degrees, or above 85. I notice people here live in a very narrow window of comfort....

Last edited by Marielamb; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Virginia winters (I had a weekend home in Purcellville): Lows below 40 from November to April, rainy, ice storms, black ice from the freezing rain, snow, sleet, gray skies for weeks, and no sun after about 3 p.m. If the OP is interested in a warm winter, I would not recommend the mid-Atlantic.

I was born and raised in California and Florida, and yes, you do grow up "soft".

You grow up wise enough to know that there is another, BETTER way to live than to have to walk on black ice in 23-degree temps to get to a train at 5:30a.m.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielamb View Post
A GPS bracelet? Cameras recording to hard drive? Why- so you can replay watching your kids get taken? I don't get that.

I was just sensing from the OPs original message that he is not going to find what he is looking for here in regards to just letting the kids out the back door to blow off steam.
My kids dont have gps bracelets although it seems like a good idea, the cameras would be exactly for that. Again the chances of an abduction in South Tampa is minuscule, out of that minuscule chance 90% of those are by family members so true child abductions are even rarer. There is a far far far greater chance than you will get in a car accident, you dont stop driving, you get insurance. So like anything in life, you weight the risk against the reward, you mitigate the risk as much as you can or you keep your kid at arm's length and stay at home watching Nancy Grace.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Virginia winters (I had a weekend home in Purcellville): Lows below 40 from November to April, rainy, ice storms, black ice from the freezing rain, snow, sleet, gray skies for weeks, and no sun after about 3 p.m. If the OP is interested in a warm winter, I would not recommend the mid-Atlantic.

I was born and raised in California and Florida, and yes, you do grow up "soft".

You grow up wise enough to know that there is another, BETTER way to live than to have to walk on black ice in 23-degree temps to get to a train at 5:30a.m.

I'd take the Purcellville area and it's black ice any day over Florida. I'm actually thinking I might retire in that area someday.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Ah, but what about the things you don't get in Florida! What about crisp fall days, the leaves changing to beautiful colors, the smell of fall, building fires in a fireplace and making pots of chili, the pretty first snowfall, kids sledding for the first time, those days in Virginia in December or february that it would get up to 65 or 70 and everyone is running around in tshirts? Then when you are getting tired of winter (and yeah, by end of February I was ready for it to be done...) then the crocuses come out, and the leaves start sprouting, and the flowers and the smell of spring!!! I will take three months of "winter" in order to get all the seasons, which I love and miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay