Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM

98 posts, read 262,095 times

Advertisements

So....we currently live in Phoenix, AZ. We've lived here for about 5 years and hate it. We moved from an area where kids played with other neighborhood kids, neighbors had get togethers and actually made an effort to know who you are. We were spoiled. We even used to house an annual neighborhood Chili Dump in which we'd gather a lot of our neighbors together for food, drink and good times. In Phoenix you don't see that...people keep to themselves. Kids stay indoors (even in the cooler months). We barely know our neighbors despite making an effort to get to know them. We're debating a relocation to Tampa to be closer to family and wanted some feedback from the natives about the neighborly culture and, moreso, if there is one. We're looking at the Brandon area as a possible place to relocate to...but are open to any other areas with descent schools (we have young children, one of which is autistic). I appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks.

Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Like any city, Tampa Metro will have some neighborhoods where the neighbors are friendly and some not so much. As in Phoenix, a lot of people will stay indoors during the summer. My street has quite a few people come out and hang out... but not until it starts cooling down. I can't speak to Brandon.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
I got lucky with a neighborhood like that here in Brandon. I dont know if others are like it, and its not the entire neighborhood, just a patch of about 5 houses here that we get together for cookouts, help eachother out ,etc. Id trust any of them to watch my son in case of an emergency.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM

98 posts, read 262,095 times
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Phoenix & Tampa are not all that different except for the landscape. We don't have the Grand Canyon a stone throw away...the neighborhood you're looking for is so rare here that it will take years to find it. Same happens here with the heat and the kids playing outside... Moderator cut: not about Tampa

We almost moved to Chandler last year...BTW

Back to your question...I am not saying they don't exist, but they are VERY hard to find; we also have hot weather, and humidity which makes it feel hotter than it really is, and usually kids are either in daycares, or in schools...I work part time/odd hours, so I stay home during the day with my 2 3/4 year old, and we have trouble finding other kids for him to play with...we drive 20 miles to go to Pinellas county where we may find other small kids for him to play with....around where we live there is nobody out Monday through Friday. Parents are working business hours and anyone under 5 is in some daycare.

These patches are formed by people who moved in when the place was built in most cases and still live there, and had their kids grow up together pretty much. But when you're "new" to any neighborhood here you will notice people keeping to themselves most of the time and not rush to make you part of their groups. Kind of like high school! Pathetic if you ask me. I believe that KNOWING your neighbors and being friendly to them makes your life much better and more fun....obviously I am wrong considering that most people around here love to lock themselves in their homes and never say "Hi"!

Last edited by Keeper; 09-24-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
I moved here from DC and one of the first things I noticed is that people here are quick to say hello, smile, be generally polite in public but after the casual everyday stuff, they put up a wall and generally have little desire to know their neighbors. Obviously this is just based off my personal experience but even in what I consider to be one of Tampa Bay's more desirable areas (Citrus Park) people generally keep to themselves.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
My street has monthly get togethers, birthday celebrations, joint dog walking, kids playing outside, lemonade stands, etc.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Consider yourself VERY LUCKY!

That's one street out of how many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
My street has monthly get togethers, birthday celebrations, joint dog walking, kids playing outside, lemonade stands, etc.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Ours does too, minus the lemonade stands.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Consider yourself VERY LUCKY!

That's one street out of how many?
I do consider myself very lucky because you never truly know a neighborhood until you live there. We researched for years and took numerous exploratory trips before buying our home and relocating from Ohio. We also were very clear about what we wanted - a small, safe, treed neighborhood with sidewalks, and a community pool, within walking distance of a library, grocery, restaurants, etc., but there's just no way to determine friendliness and welcoming neighbors from afar, so we lucked out.

Our neighborhood only has four streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay