Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

"I wouldn't trust Craigslist for jobs at all!"

Ain't that the truth! IF you can weed through the scams and MLM solicitations and "commission only" ads, you MIGHT be able to find a part time gig of some sort, but for the most part, it's a complete joke. I saw one ad where they were looking for a person to do sales, customer service and human resources, all rolled into one. Any one of those would be a full time position. All for the princely sum of $24,000 plus quarterly BONUS! More like a bone-us.

However, if the OP has certain language skills, they would probably be able to get a job with one of the contractors at MacDill. They're always looking for people who read and speak Asian or Middle Eastern or Balkan languages. And they pay VERY well. And the contractor usually pays for the costs of immigration, visas and relocation and takes care of logistics, as well.

Contact the closest American consulate or embassy to where you live now.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If i was new to Tampa and looking for a job i'd use every means possible to score employment including Craigslist.Although the link was just meant to give an idea of the job market and pay scale and only one of many it does have entry level jobs that look legit to me..
tampa bay area general labor jobs classifieds - craigslist

Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Hey, jambo, you're not entirely wrong on this. Perhaps I was being bit cynical. I have scored a couple of gigs myself off CL, but it took an enormous amount of weeding out and qualifying, etc. And the gigs were just temporary stopgap type stuff, not anything long term. But, many of the "jobs" listed are blind ads and I've always noticed a major rise in spam after making email inquiries. In other words, instead of getting a direct response to my inquiry, I've gotten spam/scam emails.

But, I admit, you're right. It can be a resource, but you have to be VERY careful. I suggest before sending a resume, email to see what and where the company is that posted the job. Don't just respond to a blind ad, find out who they are and where they are before sending a resume. A lot of the job descriptions are vague, some of them seem to be written by illiterates. If the company behind the ad is legit, you'll get a response.

I think one of the major problems with CL is that many people posting ads won't even say what sort of business the company is involved in, so you have to inquire to even find out if it's something you're qualified for or want to be involved with (I have no interest in selling security systems, for example). And then there's the matter of location. Who wants to waste their time responding to a job in the Carrollwood or Lutz areas if they live in Southshore or East Hillsborough? Unless it's lucrative and worth the commute or relocation.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
kmark...Everytime I asked what the company was, or asked for a link I got a smart a** remark in return. I don't trust it one bit.
It can be a resource once you're here and one can be more assertive about it, but when you are new to the area, and don't know commute times it can be detrimental. The OP has 4 kids, in no way he should rely on CL to find a decent job.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM

"I don't trust it one bit."

It's not just CL where you have to be careful. I was going to apply on line for a job advertised by a fairly well known company based in another state. I stopped when I got to the line where they wanted you to fill out your Social Security number. I freaked and called the company headquarters and was told tough noogies, that's the way we do it. No way am I going to give out my Social on an on-line application!!!!!!! A relative of mine told me that recruiters and HR consultants will do this and run a background check BEFORE an interview, to see if they even want to speak with a candidate.

I was so disappointed, because the local branch was close by and it was work I was qualified for and wouldn't have minded doing. They wouldn't even consider an interview unless I put the Social on line. Unbelievable.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I had that happen to me too...I feel it is VERY discriminatory because instead of actually being judged on the quality of my work, my abilities, work ethic, etc., one is judged by his ancestors or whatever else, like credit, as if that had anything to do with my ability to do my job well!!!!! dumbest thing in the world IMO.
Not to mention there is no longer a courtesy of answering someone looking for job back, and let them know one way or another! That to me is very unprofessional considering that some people might look for feedback, and what to do to improve on something etc, or just simply not to be left hanging...I feel like the reason they stopped that is because now they pry into peoples Facebook accounts (which to me is flat out "invasion of privacy" at its best), and decide based on looks, or friends if one should be hired or not which is worst than being in high school, and ALSO UNPROFESSIONAL. Someone's private life is, and should be PRIVATE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"I don't trust it one bit."

It's not just CL where you have to be careful. I was going to apply on line for a job advertised by a fairly well known company based in another state. I stopped when I got to the line where they wanted you to fill out your Social Security number. I freaked and called the company headquarters and was told tough noogies, that's the way we do it. No way am I going to give out my Social on an on-line application!!!!!!! A relative of mine told me that recruiters and HR consultants will do this and run a background check BEFORE an interview, to see if they even want to speak with a candidate.

I was so disappointed, because the local branch was close by and it was work I was qualified for and wouldn't have minded doing. They wouldn't even consider an interview unless I put the Social on line. Unbelievable.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM

26 posts, read 34,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Roshka, What type of work do you do in Azerbaijan? The job market here is not that great right now, and wages can be lower than other parts of the country.
i work at the bank as loan officer about 4 year.. i know azeri, turkish and russian very well, and learning english now.. i thought that i can easily find job in Tampa.. because Tampa is at the seaside, there is a port, a lot of tourists come to Tampa every year and others..

Last edited by Roshka; 09-24-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshka View Post
cute people of Tampa, i am from Azerbaijan(Asia) and thinking about the moving to Tampa. i am looking for friends from Tampa, who can help me with my questions in future..
I was very surprised to read some of the other responses. It sounds as if some people think you can actually pack up and move to another country and get a job. You can't simply decide to move to the U.S. to work. It's a lot more complicated than that, which I'm sure you know. At first I thought your post was a joke, although every inquiry certainly needs to be taken seriously.

Do you currently live in the United States? If not, you need to contact an immigration attorney. Even if you are able to obtain a valid Visa to stay here, it doesn't mean you will be allowed to work. Millions of people apply to come here every year for a variety of reasons. Anyway, here is the link. There are others, but they're not official government websites. Good luck!

[url=http://www.usa.gov/visitors/work.shtml]Work in the U.S. | USA.gov[/url]

By the way, City-Data has a Legal Immigration forum.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"I wouldn't trust Craigslist for jobs at all!"

Ain't that the truth! IF you can weed through the scams and MLM solicitations and "commission only" ads, you MIGHT be able to find a part time gig of some sort, but for the most part, it's a complete joke. I saw one ad where they were looking for a person to do sales, customer service and human resources, all rolled into one. Any one of those would be a full time position. All for the princely sum of $24,000 plus quarterly BONUS! More like a bone-us.

However, if the OP has certain language skills, they would probably be able to get a job with one of the contractors at MacDill. They're always looking for people who read and speak Asian or Middle Eastern or Balkan languages. And they pay VERY well. And the contractor usually pays for the costs of immigration, visas and relocation and takes care of logistics, as well.

Contact the closest American consulate or embassy to where you live now.
thanks a lot.. what is MacDill?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was very surprised to read some of the other responses. It sounds as if some people think you can actually pack up and move to another country and get a job. You can't simply decide to move to the U.S. to work. It's a lot more complicated than that, which I'm sure you know. At first I thought your post was a joke, although every inquiry certainly needs to be taken seriously.

Do you currently live in the United States? If not, you need to contact an immigration attorney. Even if you are able to obtain a valid Visa to stay here, it doesn't mean you will be allowed to work. Millions of people apply to come here every year for a variety of reasons. Anyway, here is the link. There are others, but they're not official government websites. Good luck!

hi. i don't live in US, i am going to imigrate to US by the legal way(by Green Card).. it isn't a joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay