Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 PM

323 posts, read 681,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Stick with Citizens...A Florida taxpayer owned company. If the big one hits, taxpayers are on the hook anyway. No insurance co will have the money to cover a disaster. Make sure your home inspector includes the windmit and roof cert. Hip roofs and roof to wall attachments are your biggest credits. Roof coverings if permitted 2008 or later will add extra credit, impact windows or impact rated shutters are next. Sounds like your purchasing a newer home since that quote seems low, unless they have included the discounts.
Whoops, didn't see your post earlier. It's a 1984, but I'm not sure if that's considered "newer." No hip roof, and the windmit is being done on Monday. I guess FrontLine doesn't require any type of inspection to be completed prior to coverage, but they do "random" (sure) inspections and since we're close to the 30 year mark, I can imagine we will be "randomly" selected if we decide to use them.

Do agents make more money off of private company policies than if they were to write a Citizen's policy? I've had 2 agents refer to Citizen's product as "inferior."

I suppose even if we did incur a 45% premium hike, it would put our premium at about the same as it is now through another company. I'm not really fond of the $100,000 liability insurance, but I guess there's always other venues to take care of that, and what with HOI and auto insurance rates in this state the way they are, it would probably make more sense.

Last edited by druthb00; 11-03-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,033,690 times
No doubt, best to do it in a re-roof situation. The savings are worth the investment at any rate.
You can't beat the protection to the property either.

Quote:
Easier to remove the soffit and use a palm nailer Or when the roof needs replacement to do it then. New permitted roof with clips = 800 to 900.00 a year in savings

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
Stick with Citizens...A Florida taxpayer owned company. If the big one hits, taxpayers are on the hook anyway. No insurance co will have the money to cover a disaster. Make sure your home inspector includes the windmit and roof cert. Hip roofs and roof to wall attachments are your biggest credits. Roof coverings if permitted 2008 or later will add extra credit, impact windows or impact rated shutters are next. Sounds like your purchasing a newer home since that quote seems low, unless they have included the discounts.
Citizens needs to either be abolished or start charging premiums high enough to cover their book without making the rest of us subsidize them.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,779,369 times
I got a bunch of quotes for my new home and ended up going with American Integrity. Wind mitigation survey saved me a whole bunch of money. I'm coming in at under $2800 with the gold endorsement which includes better coverage, including things like the pool enclosure, etc, etc. Not thrilled, but I can live with it.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I got a bunch of quotes for my new home and ended up going with American Integrity. Wind mitigation survey saved me a whole bunch of money. I'm coming in at under $2800 with the gold endorsement which includes better coverage, including things like the pool enclosure, etc, etc. Not thrilled, but I can live with it.
The one thing that stood out to me about that company is that they are Florida only. The way it's worded on their site is meant to make you feel all warm and fuzzy, but it makes me nervous because they're not inter-state. It's one of the reasons I probably won't go with a policy through Tower Hill. If a major storm hits, it's likely that a higher percentage of policy holders submit claims because the company doesn't write policies in say, LA, or NC...where the storm may not do as much, or any damage. I am leery of Florida-only companies for that reason. However, they look like they have decent financial reserves, always a plus.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM

210 posts, read 574,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Whoops, didn't see your post earlier. It's a 1984, but I'm not sure if that's considered "newer." No hip roof, and the windmit is being done on Monday. I guess FrontLine doesn't require any type of inspection to be completed prior to coverage, but they do "random" (sure) inspections and since we're close to the 30 year mark, I can imagine we will be "randomly" selected if we decide to use them.

Do agents make more money off of private company policies than if they were to write a Citizen's policy? I've had 2 agents refer to Citizen's product as "inferior."

I suppose even if we did incur a 45% premium hike, it would put our premium at about the same as it is now through another company. I'm not really fond of the $100,000 liability insurance, but I guess there's always other venues to take care of that, and what with HOI and auto insurance rates in this state the way they are, it would probably make more sense.
30yr home will require a 4 point inspection but your good there...just don't change insurance co once the home reaches 30 yrs. Use to be 50

I am surprised they don't want a roof certification...be prepared for that if you choose tower hill or citizens
The inspector who is doing your wind mit should be doing the roof certification too. Needs to have at least 4 years of life expectancy left. They use to accept 3 yrs but not anymore.

1984 home will have clips (keep your fingers crossed) or wraps which is a little better discount. Check the property appraiser's site for a roof permit. 1984 home probably has had the roof replaced. If no permit and the roof looks new it's probably a reroof and won't qualify. Most of my insurance inspections (wind mitigation, 4 points, roof Certifications) have been for citizens with a few tower hill s thrown in. Most all insurance companies won't write policies here in Pinellas County.

Not privy to what the agents make except they are commission based. So a higher priced policy will make the agent more money.

I hope this helps...

Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
30yr home will require a 4 point inspection but your good there...just don't change insurance co once the home reaches 30 yrs. Use to be 50

I am surprised they don't want a roof certification...be prepared for that if you choose tower hill or citizens
The inspector who is doing your wind mit should be doing the roof certification too. Needs to have at least 4 years of life expectancy left. They use to accept 3 yrs but not anymore.

1984 home will have clips (keep your fingers crossed) or wraps which is a little better discount. Check the property appraiser's site for a roof permit. 1984 home probably has had the roof replaced. If no permit and the roof looks new it's probably a reroof and won't qualify. Most of my insurance inspections (wind mitigation, 4 points, roof Certifications) have been for citizens with a few tower hill s thrown in. Most all insurance companies won't write policies here in Pinellas County.

Not privy to what the agents make except they are commission based. So a higher priced policy will make the agent more money.

I hope this helps...
It does help, thanks. I'm hoping we've got at least the clips, but we'll see. There were two permits pulled actually, one for the flat roof in 98 and one for the shingle roof in 03 so I'm hoping that will help us if nothing else does. As far as the roof cert. goes, I was surprised they don't want it, too. I did talk to my inspector about it and he said he would be able to write it if we end up needing it. He's incredibly reasonable as far as prices go and very, very thorough. The inspection PDF he sent was 71 pages with tons of photos and he spent a good 2-1/2 hours just going through the home with us. If anyone wants a reference, PM me.

I really do have to wonder about the insurance agent's motive(s) when it comes to steering people away from Citizens. Since they are the cheapest in my experience, I guess that might be why if there is commission involved. Of all of the aspects of the house-buying process, I have to say...HOI is the absolute worst part. I can handle the realtors, home inspectors, loan officers, processors, contractors, pest inspectors....etc...but insurance agents? Aghhhh..

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 PM

I'm surprised that your HI didn't take pictures of what was needed for the insurance forms. Alot of roofers were still using 6d nails in 2002-2008 to renail the roof sheathing, if they did this at all. It wasn't till 2008 that the code inspectors started to get serious about enforcing the renailing of roof decking using 8d nails. Hopefully you have 8d nails or no roof credit.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Alrighty, wind mit done. We were able to get 2 credits, no credit for hurricane clips/straps...too bad, that was the big credit. Citizens coming in at $2100, 2%/$2500 and Frontline at $2700, 2%/$2500 with the pool enclosure, $2500 without. I had them go ahead and quote me at the 5% as well, but for the approx. $150/yr savings it's totally not worth it. I had expected a much bigger discount since the deductible more than doubles.....whatever, I'll pay the extra $150.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Did he get a picture of the clips....post it here. Must be 3 nails
Attached Thumbnails
ANOTHER homeowner's insurance thread...-fullerton-pics-_153.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay