Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 AM

36 posts, read 34,043 times

Advertisements

Will it cost much more to insure a $300k stick built house in Clearwater as opposed to a block built house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM

323 posts, read 680,859 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...ood-frame.html

The beginning of the thread hits insurance then goes more into termites, but I have to say I learned a lot about termites, lol. Someone also mentions that some companies won't insure wood frame homes, I wonder if that's accurate.

From what I've heard from co-workers is that yes, wood frame homes are significantly more expensive to insure. I wonder if some of that has to do with the fact that most of the wood frame homes I've seen are much older, which also appears to have a dramatic effect on rates. Do they still build wood frame homes in FL? I haven't done any research on new homes because we plan on buying something that's already there.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,227,278 times
Of all the new construction I have seen over the past 15 years, I only recall seeing one stick built home, and it was a fairly expensive ($600k) one. Not sure why that would be, but maybe there are advantages to going with stick built under certain circumstances.

I would expect that building codes would dictate this in some fashion.

RM

Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,081,147 times
Stick will cost you significantly more to insure than a block home. I looked at one stick home when house shopping.... after getting the rate I decided against it. Especially if you are getting something in Pinellas....

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,961 times
We just bought a stick built home. It didn't cost any extra for insurance. The fact that it was older cost us a little bit more, but the insurance company did not care that it was stick built as long as we provided them with a thorough termite inspection report showing it was free and clear from any termites or termite damage. We are currently paying $2500 per year for a 2100 square foot pool home built in the early 80's in Safety Harbor.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $16,000,000,000,000+ View Post
Will it cost much more to insure a $300k stick built house in Clearwater as opposed to a block built house?
I think you are speaking of block vs FRAME. Stick built just means a traditionally built home as opposed to a mobile or modular. There is a big difference in insurance for any of these. Block or concrete homes are predominant in Florida due to hurricanes and wood-boring pests. Frame will almost always cost a LOT more to insure here than concrete. A good agent can give you quotes.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think you are speaking of block vs FRAME. Stick built just means a traditionally built home as opposed to a mobile or modular. There is a big difference in insurance for any of these. Block or concrete homes are predominant in Florida due to hurricanes and wood-boring pests. Frame will almost always cost a LOT more to insure here than concrete. A good agent can give you quotes.
I'm not sure what type ours is. I know for certain it isn't block. It was built with wood frame, so perhaps it is a wood frame home and I am calling it the wrong thing. Either way, we didn't pay too much more in insurance for it. We own a block home in Spring Hill and it's about $800 less per year. We were told by our insurance agent that we have to pay more for our home here because it's older. She said the fact that it was built with wood framing rather than concrete had nothing to do with how much they charged since it passed the termite inspection.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 34,043 times
Yes, I mean concrete (cement) block versus wood framed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay