Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Old NE - St. Pete. I would not call it "hippie", just bohemian. Lots of unique cafes and galleries, plus the museums downtown, music venues, that sort of thing. Less pretentiousness in general.
Yeah, I don't think I'd classify the several hundred multi-millionaires that live in Old NE and Snell isle as "Hippies".

Old NE/Snell Isle has money. South Tampa pretends to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'd classify the several hundred multi-millionaires that live in Old NE and Snell isle as "Hippies".

Old NE/Snell Isle has money. South Tampa pretends to
I just browsed around on Old NE St. Petes...it looks like mostly bungalows? Very cool-looking bungalows too, I might add, but bungalows nontheless.

Are they really the homes of multi-millionaires?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
Go a few blocks north and look at the homes in Snell Isle on Brightwaters Blvd and around Coffee Pot Bayou. There are some monstrous waterfront properties.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
By that logic you should buy in central tampa more room for rebound. I am not negating the more risk more reward theory, but bottom line is a majority of home buyers will look at schools over a walkable downtown.
Sure, but most people have some max level of risk they're willing to take. Central Tampa (I'm assuming you're talking Seminole Heights-ish?) is beyond my limit. The Old NE isn't some always-up-and-coming neighborhood. It's a long-established neighborhood. Betting on high demand returning to an affluent area isn't a terribly risky play, and I'm fairly risk averse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What are the downsides to Old NE?
I'd say school quality is the biggest. The zoned elementary and middle schools are basically average, and the zoned HS is only good if your kid is in the IB program. You can play the magnet/charter/whatever school lottery, but it's a lottery. The long-term trajectory seems good: when prices were rock bottom, a lot of snowbirds sold to younger folks (like us), so there are almost as many strollers as dogs being walked around the neighborhood now and I expect that will drive better schools over time. Great risk to take for those of us who don't have kids (yet), but not for everyone.

There are other issues in the Old NE that may be individual to you (e.g., distance to your work, distance to the gulf, almost no new construction, no mandatory HOA, few waterview homes, etc.), but I don't know what you're looking for. I'd prefer a larger yard/lot, but that was an issue almost everywhere we looked.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
South Tampa is where all the building is going on, all the investment. I think that's what newcomers like OP see, and wonder why St. Pete is not as desirable to investors as South Tampa. If South Tampa fared better during the downturn, then I think that qualifies South Tampa as the better investment. Clearly the majority do as well.

LOL it's also clear that no matter what city people are talking about -- LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, etc. -- people always bash the upscale neighborhoods as "pretentious", "keeping up with the joneses," etc. Life is too short to live it with such envy.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
South Tampa is where all the building is going on, all the investment. I think that's what newcomers like OP see, and wonder why St. Pete is not as desirable to investors as South Tampa. If South Tampa fared better during the downturn, then I think that qualifies South Tampa as the better investment. Clearly the majority do as well.

LOL it's also clear that no matter what city people are talking about -- LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, etc. -- people always bash the upscale neighborhoods as "pretentious", "keeping up with the joneses," etc. Life is too short to live it with such envy.
This was my point, this thread was never meant to be a S. Tampa vs NE topic, it was simply which area is more desirable. South Tampa is more desirable to a greater base, which translates to more demand. It is also not an apples to apples comparison, South Tampa is a much bigger area. I personally chose S Tampa because of the schools and familiarity with the area, as big as a S. tampa booster as I am, if it was just the wife and myself, I probably would have gone with NE.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This was my point, this thread was never meant to be a S. Tampa vs NE topic, it was simply which area is more desirable. South Tampa is more desirable to a greater base, which translates to more demand. It is also not an apples to apples comparison, South Tampa is a much bigger area. I personally chose S Tampa because of the schools and familiarity with the area, as big as a S. tampa booster as I am, if it was just the wife and myself, I probably would have gone with NE.
The OP took the thread in that direction, though probably not on purpose. Anyway, good post. No question South Tampa's more desireable, hence higher prices. If we had school-aged kids, good chance we would have gone South Tampa. Far and away my favorite two neighborhoods in the bay area.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
It's common knowledge that South Tampa property values hold up the best of any area in the metro region. If you do buy elsewhere, plan to stay at least 5-10 years.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-11-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM

37 posts, read 77,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom3 View Post
It's common knowledge that South Tampa property values hold up the best of any area in the metro region. If you are not interested in losing money, you'd be foolish to buy anywhere else. If you do buy elsewhere, plan to stay at least 5-10 years.
Just wondering what zips or neighborhood's, you are including in "South Tampa" & where are you getting your stats??

Please be respectful...we can all be classified as "foolish" at one point, depending on who's casting the stone!

Have a marvelous Monday!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 19,682 times
While South Tampa definitely has better schools in general, if you make the effort you can get your child into a just as good school as you would in Tampa. In fact, the IB program at St. Pete High (the first in Florida and one of the first in the country) is superior to the Hillsborough programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: