Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times

Advertisements

I've done all that and can't see what you're talking about. So what? We have an abundance of migrant workers in the area. No biggie. I've lived in this area for nearly 3 yrs, not a problem whatsoever. I feel very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,118,428 times
I've had two close calls with transients in the area. One attempted break-in at a neighbor's home ( the guy took off before he could get in) and another at one of the hotels about five years ago when visiting the area during the holidays. Never again, that's why I suggest Little Harbor to people. I recently spoke to an older retired couple who live on East Del Webb and were looking for motion sensor lights for their home, someone tried to jimmy their back door. And this is just stuff that I know about. Again, I think it depends on where you live in SCC or KP. If you live in the area, you surely are familiar with the decision to block access from 301 through the southern part of SCC to 674. My understanding is that it was a mix of traffic and security concerns.

That being said, I do feel that the SCC and KP areas are fairly safe in and of themselves, but watchfulness and prevention are always a good idea in any neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM

And then there was the geezer in King's Point who kept his wife's body in a freezer for 11 years. Oooh, wait, wait, I think I feel a little ditty comin' on:

Geezer, geezer
Kept his wife in a freezer!

Officials: Body found in Sun City freezer after 11 years | wtsp.com

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

That being said, I do feel that the SCC and KP areas are fairly safe in and of themselves, but watchfulness and prevention are always a good idea in any neighborhood.
Of course, but you're making the area seem like crime central. The area is much safer than living in Bradenton, ST Pete, or Tampa.

Way overblown.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 PM

"The area is much safer than living in Bradenton, ST Pete, or Tampa."

No question. My sincere apologies for your perception.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM

BTW, if you think what I've presented is way overblown, you've gotta ask why HCSO gives weekly briefings to the residents of what's going on in the area regarding public safety. Of course, they've been doing this for years and much of it centers on things like golf car thefts and con games run on senior citizens.

I've lived in South Hillsborough on and off since 2000. With all its faults, it's still one of my favorite parts of the Tampa Bay area, location being one of the main reasons. I've seen and heard the good, the bad and the ugly of it. And I still think the SCC area has a lot to recommend it to retirees AND boomers who are still in the work force. But, I have heard the gripes from people who moved here from other areas and failed to research the area before moving and then get all leery about the surrounding area. That's why I urge people to spend some time scoping it out before they move, so they understand what's what.

Sometimes people get a false sense of security and I don't think there's anything wrong to give someone a little tip that if you post a letter after PO hours, it might be best to put it in the drop inside the post office rather than in the outside mailbox, which has been knocked over in the past. That can happen anywhere, and it happens in SCC, too. It's not all sunshine and lollipops.

That said, SCC has one of the BEST. POST OFFICES. EVER. The clerks have enormous patience and kindness with the residents, some of whom might be having a hard time navigating the postal system. This can be a little bothersome if you're waiting in line, but I understand it.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,947,568 times
one of the bigger issues is the super isolated location. the older u get u dont want to have to travel 20 minutes to just get to boring Brandon or 40 minutes to tampa and the same going south to bradenton and sarasota. there is just nothing in sun city center, riverview has some chain restaurants but scc is just absolutely dead. my parents are younger retirees and think the area is awful, they were forced to get a place when my moms parents had to use the nursing home/assisted living complex next to KP. they are never down here, ive used the house for various time periods here and there. the surrounding areas in ruskin and wimauma are certainly sketchy at best. youll see bizarre 3rd world country type stuff but its still quiet, safe and calm especially in gated KP. besides the dude with his wife in the freezer and there was a hostage situation last winter that ended peacefully. its truly the twilight zone in scc

Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM

209 posts, read 374,936 times
Well, this has been an interesting read to say the least!!! I appreciate the discussion.

We realize no place is perfect. The SCC crime statistics are so much lower than most places, but no place is free of crime. And at least there are sufficient stores in the area. I know several folks who retired to beautiful places and had to drive 45 minutes to WalMart and 20 minutes to a grocery store. At least the SCC area has plenty of shops and businesses to choose from. Not so great an area for foodies (lacking in good restaurants), but foodies are good cooks too!

Why do you think that no good restaurants have come into the area?

So the location, admittedly a drive from Tampa or Sarasota, for food or culture or sports, is still doable while in the "go-go" years, and in the "no-go" years, it probably isn't that important. Based on my elderly relatives experience, after 80 their worlds became smaller anyway. They didn't drive much, and were happy to see their friends every week.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM

SCC and KP has luxury buses that take you to areas (food, shopping, symphony, day trips), when you get to the no-go years.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM

sunshiny, I don't find the location to be super isolated and I think you have a pretty good handle on the area. That's pretty much how I see it, too, plenty of shops and businesses to choose from. All the basics are in the area, including a Home Depot.

As to dining, it seems like that's been a bit of a void. The closest thing to "fine dining" would be at Little Harbor at the end of Shell Point Road in Ruskin, I rather like it and you can't beat the view. There's also Circles in Apollo Beach. Dining is open to the public at the Cypress Creek Golf and Country Club, although I've never eaten there. I might try it, though. The menu looks pretty good and reasonable.

I've eaten at the Seafood Dive off Cortaro by 674 near the Home Depot plaza, I like it for a reasonable, tasty, casual seafood feed. I also liked the sushi restaurant in the Publix plaza in Apollo Beach, and the pizza at San Remo's next door is awesome. And of course there's always Popi's on 41 in Ruskin, an excellent old faithful standby.

If you like tacos, there's a hole in the wall place on the southwest corner of the intersection of 41 and 674 in Ruskin. It looks grubby and it's mainly take out or you can sit at one of the three tables, but the tacos are to die for, IMO.

For other food experiences, I prefer to drive south to Ellenton rather than up to Brandon, I find it to be a nicer drive. Lots of places along 301 off the 1-75 exit, some chain, some independent. And there's always the Outlet Mall there for some interesting shopping, and the antique malls along 301 going in the other direction if you like that sort of thing.

The really fine dining you'll find either in Sarasota or Tampa or even St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay