Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Omg, Bucfan. I was surprised to see my old thread 'resurrected', but what a way to update it.

PS. I'm living in SCC for a couple of years now and love it!
Glad you're enjoying it! Christmas in July tomorrow at Nearly New. Be there or be square!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Nearly New is a depressing place, imo.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:47 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nearly New is a depressing place, imo.
I can totally understand why you might feel that way.

What's really depressing is that motel next to Walgreen's. I remember it from back in the day when it was a mid century modern gem that served continental breakfast. Now? Creepy.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I haven't gone in there since back in the 80s w/ my uncle, grandmother when they served dinner, I was going to USF and it was special deal to get a free, huge meal at a restaurant.....haven't stepped in there since. I might do it though when I get back to town in a couple of weeks......

Old 03-23-2023, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 4,384 times
Default Fast Forward to 2023 in SCC area

This thread started in 2012, and now in 2023 it is so interesting to see the differences and similarities! My husband and I have been looking for our retirement home in the area. The lack of decent, upscale restaurants is at the top of our list of the downside of SCC or Valencia Lakes. Circles is the best restaurant in the area and it still isn't always the upscale quality we are used to from Long Island, NY. How many times a month can we eat at Circles when the daily specials are always the same! Shopping is another area of concern. We are staying in Apollo Beach with our kids until we find a house. Most often, we drive to Brandon for Costco, Target, and the Cheesecake Factory ( found out they serve breakfast anytime and it's terrific). Sometimes we drive to Tampa for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. All of this shopping is also available to the south in Bradenton and Sarasota, however, driving on 75 involves the risk of traffic and accidents. Driving to Brandon is closer and offers the 301 alternate route.

As others have said, as seniors we aren't getting younger and the drive to go out for dinner is more than we will want to do as we age.

Valencia Lakes is beautiful, but less variety of housing than SCC. The landscaping is lush, but comes at a health cost with the abundance of pesticides being used. The HOA is 516 a month, which includes internet, cable, landscaping, sprinkler system, and security. It seems that is not a lot with those utilities included. Purchasing all of them independently would be not far off this cost. Also, the lot sizes are smaller than the nicer lots in the south side of SCC. The Renaissance mandatory areas are pretty but the added expense of the Club to the SCC fees seems a bit much. Now the unpredictability of the golf courses in SCC is an added concern. If some are sold to developers, some homeowners may find their paradise not so serene anymore.
I've also been informed that 301 south of 674 is being widened to 6 lanes like north of 674. This could impact the homes in the southern part of SCC.

I would like to know if anyone living in either of these communities could provide some input to life in 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay