Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM

210 posts, read 382,012 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look at Sun City and Kings Point as possible retirement destinations. We are familiar with the amenities as we have visited relatives there over the years. But we are curious what the average age is there--are there lots of boomers moving there or is it mostly an over 75 crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
We are starting to look at Sun City and Kings Point as possible retirement destinations. We are familiar with the amenities as we have visited relatives there over the years. But we are curious what the average age is there--are there lots of boomers moving there or is it mostly an over 75 crowd?
I would say that the median age is 75. Seems like the younger crowd is here - around the corner, across the street (US 301) from SCC and Kings Point.

Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community

Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM

403 posts, read 1,193,105 times
Tons of 30 somethings moving in around Sun City. Lots of new communities in Riverview, Sun City, Ruskin that are targeting the 30 something crowd.

I know this is kind of away from what you asked, but thought i'd give my input.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
Tons of 30 somethings moving in around Sun City. Lots of new communities in Riverview, Sun City, Ruskin that are targeting the 30 something crowd.

Are 30-yr olds boomers? Thought boomers were older than that. Wiki say boomers were born between '46-'55.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I would say that the median age is 75. Seems like the younger crowd is here - around the corner, across the street (US 301) from SCC and Kings Point.

Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community
Thanks for the quick response. What percentage of homes are built out/sold? We have looked at various communities and are cautious about any that have less than 50% sold.

Also, what percentage of homeowners are snowbirds? We are looking to permanently move.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post

Thanks, but that's our kid's age!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Are 30-yr olds boomers? Thought boomers were older than that. Wiki say boomers were born between '46-'55.

Actually, I think the boomer birth years goes until '61 but that's still over 50 at this point!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
"We are starting to look at Sun City and Kings Point as possible retirement destinations. We are familiar with the amenities as we have visited relatives there over the years. But we are curious what the average age is there--are there lots of boomers moving there or is it mostly an over 75 crowd?"

Hah! You'd be surprised how many boomers live in Sun City and were familiar with it because their parents or other relatives lived or live there. Many of these boomers are still working, too. In some cases both the parents and their boomer children live in Sun City, sometimes in separate residences, sometimes in the same home, for economic or elder care reasons. I know one guy who is still working and lives in Sun City, and is always joking about how his widowed father, who lives a few streets away, is a wild and crazy guy out with a different woman every night, lol!

Sun City is probably the best place to live in South Hillsborough County. King's Point is great for people who want to come and go and not worry about their place while they're gone, everything is more or less taken care of there, but the residents pay a pretty penny in monthly condo fees, I think like $400.00 a month. It can be time consuming to get in and out of the gates at certain times of day and year, traffic has a tendency to back up. And there are restrictions such as not being allowed to have yard or garage sales, but the residents love it and tell me it can't be beat for worry free living.

Sun City Center is a bit less restrictive. It's famous for garage, yard and estate sales. Great if you like golf. Excellent amenities and clubs. Fairly safe, although not so much as it used to be, due to the expansion of population in South Hillsborough county. Everyone belongs to the Community Association, which entitles them to use of the facilities, but there are areas of Sun City Center where people don't have to be a part of a separate HOA and maintain their own residence. There's a range of housing options to fit just about every budget and lifestyle. Homes range in age from the great old concrete block homes of the 1960s to newly built, from modest living to some grander residences. It's quiet and convenient, with all the basic services nearby, grocery shopping, medical, post office, etc.

I wouldn't say it's mostly an over 75 crowd. Sure there are plenty of elderly, but many in the 55-65 range. You also have the younger spouses of those who have hit 55. As long as one resident is at least 55 years of age, you can have younger residents in the same home. I think you can't have children under the age of 18 in the home for longer than a couple of weeks, though. I know one older couple who got custody of their granddaughter and are raising her, so they had to move out. But, for example, you do find some older folks living in Sun City with children in their 20s, 30s or 40s even who are down on their luck and who have moved in with their parents. It's more common now due to economic and societal factors.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM

"What percentage of homes are built out/sold? We have looked at various communities and are cautious about any that have less than 50% sold."

If you want exact percentages, you'd have to ask a realtor. And remember, King's Point and Sun City Center are in fact two separate communities, although they are in the same area, share the same post office and zip code. But, both communities were established in the 1960s and have expanded over the years, so "less than 50% sold" really doesn't apply. There is still some new construction going on, but probably not for long. Re-sale is pretty strong, too, if the property is priced right.

"Also, what percentage of homeowners are snowbirds? We are looking to permanently move."

I don't know exactly, but I can tell you that more and more residents are permanent than in the past. It's largely a function of the economy. Whereas Sun City Center used to empty out just after Easter, that's no longer the case. Many folks have opted to sell off their residences up North or in the Midwest or Mid-Atlantic and make Sun City Center their permanent residence, and just get away for a month or two during the hottest months, and visit family or friends, rather than maintaining two residences. Again, it's the economy that seems to be driving this. That's not to say there aren't snowbirds anymore, just fewer of them than there used to be. It's more of a year-round community for many people now.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM

Here's helpful link:

Sun City Center Lifestyles

The golf cart pic is a bit hokey, and yes there are lots of golf carts in Sun City. Also they have a little welcome center in a house on Cherry Hills Drive with great volunteers who will give you all sorts of information and a non-realtor tour.

One other piece of advice: I don't know if you live close by, or will need lodging when you visit to view property. If you'll need lodging, DO NOT stay at any of the hotels/motels (There are three of them, two on SR 674 and one on North Pebble Beach next to the Walgreen's) in the immediate Sun City area. PLEASE trust me on this, I have personal knowledge and experience. Just don't do it. Stay at Little Harbor in Ruskin on the bay out Shell Point Road. It's a little bit of a drive (about 15 minutes) but it's well worth it and much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay